Diamond Ring Advice & Questions.

Mephistodan

Hello fellow forumers. I'm glad I've come to this place prior to my purchase and I hope you're able to help me out.

First, a technicall question:

If my first concern is "bigger size for less money", which shape do you think would look actually largely to the eye. (regardless of carat). In short, my budget is around 8000$. I need to get the larger diamond this money can buy. what shape should I pick.

Second: how bottom can I get on the other aspects: Color, Cut, Clarity that will make no difference to the naked eye at all? I meand if E, G, H colors would almost exactly like an I then I wouldn't mind an I, would you tell me what low limits can I hit without making it OBVIOUS to the naked eye that this diamons isn't a top d,fl,ideal diamond?

Third question: I'm buying overseas. I'll get this shipped to one friend then get it shipped to me or I may catch a flight and come get it. What websites do you recommend.

Many thanks.

If your objective is to minimize dollars per square millimeter for any particular clarity/color combination I suspect you will find marquise cuts do pretty well. Less scientific type measurements of what ‘looks’ bigger will have more to do with the mounting than the diamond, rather like the affect that wearing vertical stripes makes you look slimmer. Shop around in stores and look at the various choices and see what trips your fancy.

I would warn you against pursuing this unit for anything beyond academic interest. The problem is that it can be increased easily by making the stone more spread. By this I mean increasing the diameter and reducing the depth so that it has a bigger face up surface are without increasing the weight. On the surface (pun intended) this seems like a good idea but it has a huge affect on the light behavior within the stone so although it will look bigger it won’t be as bright or sparkly. For most this is a dreadful tradeoff but, for those who want it, it actually drives DOWN the price in addition to increasing the apparent size.

In a mounted stone on a moving finger, most people can’t see the difference between a G and a correctly graded K. Personally I wouldn’t drop below a J for an engagement ring and I wouldn’t even go there unless it was a round with a good enough cut that the brilliance overweighs the color. A spready cut like I’m discussing above will show color far more obviously than one with a good cut. It’s also worth noting that accurate grading is important, especially in the lower colors. It’s amazingly common for a dealer to not understand the difference between a J and an N or even an S. That’s a 4 grade or more span and it tends to skew people’s idea of colors because they go into a store and ask to see a J and walk out thinking that this is probably not for them. It may be so, but if they were looking at a P, they haven’t really done a fair test. The most popular colors are G-H-I.

You mentioned buying overseas. Can you please explain? Are you in the US wishing to buy somewhere else or are you somewhere else wishing to buy in the US? By a significant margin the most competitive diamond market in the world is the US and if you live here already I would question why you are shopping elsewhere. The perception that similar diamonds are less expensive in, say, Belgium or Africa is generally not correct. Depending on where you live, overseas shoppers can save some money by buying in the US but make sure you check into your local import taxes. You will need to pay the VAT and any import duties at customs when you get it home and this needs to be considered if you are comparing US internet prices against your local jewelers.

Neil

Edited by denverappraiser

Hello fellow forumers. I'm glad I've come to this place prior to my purchase and I hope you're able to help me out.

First, a technicall question:

If my first concern is "bigger size for less money", which shape do you think would look actually largely to the eye. (regardless of carat). In short, my budget is around 8000$. I need to get the larger diamond this money can buy. what shape should I pick.

Second: how bottom can I get on the other aspects: Color, Cut, Clarity that will make no difference to the naked eye at all? I meand if E, G, H colors would almost exactly like an I then I wouldn't mind an I, would you tell me what low limits can I hit without making it OBVIOUS to the naked eye that this diamons isn't a top d,fl,ideal diamond?

Third question: I'm buying overseas. I'll get this shipped to one friend then get it shipped to me or I may catch a flight and come get it. What websites do you recommend.

Many thanks.

Do you have any idea of the shape that she likes. There are usually preferences for each lady. You can get large but will she like it? That is the question you should ask her first. Afterall it is a ring she will hopefully be wearing for a long long time.

Marquise diamonds are the largest look for the carat weight, however do you think she will like that shape?

Color and clarity I would say stay SI1-2 and I or better color. Also work with a vendor that actually sees the diamonds and can show you what you will be buying.

post-10-1195142116_thumb.jpg

I agree with Neil and Jan, you should consider only the shape she likes, you don't want to purchase a diamond that she will hate to wear, sure everybody likes a big stone, but you have nothing from it if she doesn't like the shape. So my advice try to find out which shape she likes and try to get the biggest you could get for your price.

Now regarding color and clarity, you can go with a I-J color and a SI1-SI2 clarity.

Hope this helps.

Moshe

Mephisto-Dan, (do you wear and enjoy Mephisto shoes?...they are very comfortable indeed!)

You got some good advice here with respect to diamond shapes.

With regards to getting the "biggest stone possible for the money", there is a way.

The old timers in the industry (including my Dad, Barry...who contributes here) call this a "bluff-stone".

Basically, this is a diamond that was fashioned by the cutter to look bigger than its actual carat weight. This diamond appeals to people who are only concerned with fooling people into thinking they paid for what appears to be a (significantly) larger stone than what they actually purchased. This is accomplished by creating a very "top heavy"/ "spready" crown and table facet on top of the diamond, which looks something like a hockey rink :D

Then, the remaining weight is distributed on the bottom/sides of the diamond in the pavillion. This will result in a very shallow pavillion since most of the diamond carat weight is up on top.

The reason this diamond looks significantly bigger than its carat weight is simply because once the stone is set into a ring, the pavillion is largely obscured and all the eyes see is the top of the diamond which looks pretty big!

You can easily find these "dime a dozen" diamonds by simply looking for a "spready" table and "shallow" depth combination in your desired diamond shape.

Keep in mind however, a direct consequence of this type of cut is the decreased brilliancy and light performance of the diamond.

Simply put, there is a good chance your diamond will look dead and lifeless...but at least it's gonna appear bigger than the carat weight you actually paid for ;)

If this is your sole/primary objective, go get 'em. Just know what you are getting yourself into before you take the plunge and certainly if you are making this purchase sight unseen.

I would venture to say that you will not be happy with the performance of this type of (extreme) "swindled" diamond.

Best Of Luck!

Hello Again,

Thank you all for all these information. It's been very useful indeed.

Answering some questions:

I'm not American and I'm planning to buy from US as there's a huge price difference + people say GIA is better than HDR.

I like Mephisto shoes, and I also used to like the word Mephistopheles back in the day with all this black metal life ;) (which Mephisto is actually a nick name of)

I have to admit that I really care about size more than other aspects but not as far as DiamondMaven described. I just prefer to get an I or J instead of getting G or H and slightly smaller stone. so the point is getting as big diamond as possible while NOT having a naked-eye real difference, loosing the briliiance of the stone is certainly something I won't tolerate for a larger stone.

Gathering from your posts in this thread and in other parts of this site I cocluded that these are the minium I should be looking for:

GIA (is that really a minimum? ) , I color, SI2 clarity, very good cut, is that correct? What are the things I should AVOID in the measurments and other physical dimenstions? depht, girth..etc. I think this is a little bit tricky to understand or learn right?

Marquez shape I think my gf won't really like. she would prefer either a round brilliant or a princess, which one you think would look larger?

Last question, what do you think about buying from Amazon.com loose diamond OR whole rings ?, I have visited the websites of the posters here, and I'm still looking for the best cheapest offer. But one thing is tempting me in Amazon is that I have until 31st of January to return for full refund. This is very convenient especially for someone buying oversees with extra time needed for shipping and contacting friends/or catching flights.. etc.

Many thanks.

Hello Again,

Thank you all for all these information. It's been very useful indeed.

Answering some questions:

I'm not American and I'm planning to buy from US as there's a huge price difference + people say GIA is better than HDR.

I like Mephisto shoes, and I also used to like the word Mephistopheles back in the day with all this black metal life ;) (which Mephisto is actually a nick name of)

I have to admit that I really care about size more than other aspects but not as far as DiamondMaven described. I just prefer to get an I or J instead of getting G or H and slightly smaller stone. so the point is getting as big diamond as possible while NOT having a naked-eye real difference, loosing the briliiance of the stone is certainly something I won't tolerate for a larger stone.

Gathering from your posts in this thread and in other parts of this site I cocluded that these are the minium I should be looking for:

GIA (is that really a minimum? ) , I color, SI2 clarity, very good cut, is that correct? What are the things I should AVOID in the measurments and other physical dimenstions? depht, girth..etc. I think this is a little bit tricky to understand or learn right?

Marquez shape I think my gf won't really like. she would prefer either a round brilliant or a princess, which one you think would look larger?

Last question, what do you think about buying from Amazon.com loose diamond OR whole rings ?, I have visited the websites of the posters here, and I'm still looking for the best cheapest offer. But one thing is tempting me in Amazon is that I have until 31st of January to return for full refund. This is very convenient especially for someone buying oversees with extra time needed for shipping and contacting friends/or catching flights.. etc.

Many thanks.

I would recommend not buying by a couple of numbers from website that don't see the stone or even show you the real picture of the diamond. I've seen quite a few clients in the last week that tried to purchase this way and got burned. Some are even having a very hard time getting their money back or any satisfaction. The thing that attracted them the most was that it was supposedly cheap. One guys was suppose to get a VS1 D and the stone was an I2 D in color and clarity. Another had a GIA lab report with good numbers but the stone was dead looking. Just something to think about......

There are some vendors on here that can show you what you will be purchasing before you buy it and ship it overseas.

For instance we have this 1.53 ct. GIA VS2 J available for $7998.

post-10-1195164032_thumb.jpg

Edited by jan