Princess Cut Girdle, Depth And Table Question

sideout25

Princess cuts can not really be evaluated on numbers alone as the irregular architecture of this shape lends itself to yielding beautiful face up stones with a variety of table and depth combinations.

Best advice if you're shopping on-line is to work with a vendor that can eyeball the diamonds for you as well as provide you with photographs and evaluations of light performance.

Make sure you work with a vendor that actually sees the diamond and can take a photo for you and evaluate the light performance on the diamond. This is very important or you could end up with a dud.

A couple of numbers on a piece of paper won't tell you how beautiful the diamond is in person. They aren't like a TV or stereo where a certain model all look the same. Each diamond is individual. You can have 2 diamonds with the same numbers and one will be beautiful and the other not.

The aspect you’re not grasping is cutting and I agree it’s confusing as can be. Even most jewelers don’t understand it. Table & depth are two measurements that often appear on lab reports and since this is all that the reports mention, folks hope it’s enough to make a reasonable shopping decision. Unfortunately, hoping just doesn’t make it so. Although there is an AGS Ideal standard for princess cuts, and I rather like them, it is not widely used and it’s not based on table and depth measurements in any case. I agree with both of the above, first choose a dealer who actually has the stone and who can discuss with you the relative merits and demerits of each particular one. If they’re going off of a chart that says a particular table size is ‘ideal’, then they didn’t understand the question.

Neil