Yehuda Diamonds

smknue

I am new to this forum, so I apologize if this question has already been covered. I am looking to purchase a 1ct. diamond. I have been doing some research with some local jewelers and came across Yehuda diamonds. I would like to get your opinion on them. How can they sell them so much cheaper than the ones I have seen in other jewelers? How do they appraise? Are they real? synthetic? I guess I am wondering if they are a good investment or not.

Thanks

Yehuda takes diamonds will surface breaking inclusions and fills them with a glasslike material to make them less visible. Through this process they can make an I1 or I2 stone look sort of like and SI1 or SI2. It’s a pretty good magic trick but it doesn’t fundamentally change the stone. An I2 gussied up to look like an SI2 is just that and it’s a mistake to compare it to other SI2’s and observe that it’s cheaper. Of course it’s cheaper, it’s not the same thing. It’s like observing that a used Hyundai with a new paint job is cheaper than a new Mercedes even though they work sort of the same. That doesn’t make it a bad deal if that’s what you want and Hyundai makes some fine products but the comparison makes no sense. There are other diamonds that use a similar process and that will be much more useful for comparison purposes but you are going to need to dig a little harder to find a dealer who sells them. Goldman Oved is the other major brand and the generic description for this process is ‘clarity enhanced’ or ‘fracture filled’. Bear in mind that the standard GIA grading scale doesn’t apply to these stones and that the major labs will grade them. The graders use the same sorts of terms, like SI1 and SI2 but they don’t mean the same things and there is not standardization between graders in how to grade them. One persons idea of SI1* can be another’s idea of I1*.

Like all diamonds, how they appraise depends as much on the appraiser as it does the diamond. In a pre-loss insurance appraisal, which is what most people get, how they SHOULD appraise is for an appropriate budget to replace it with another one like it. That is to say, what it would cost to go to the store and get another one that’s similar. It’s not at all unusual for this to be higher than you are paying, especially if you are in a discount sort of venue but it’s not to your benefit to have an ‘appraisal’ with an inflated value and this is not evidence of a ‘good deal’.

Although they have an excellent warranty, Yehuda stones have some special care requirements, especially during repair processes. If you take it in for repair work, make sure that your repair jeweler is aware of the alteration or they can damage it during repair. Your dealer should have materials from Yehuda that explains this. During ordinary wear conditions they hold up quite well.

They are almost impossible for consumers to resell so no, they aren’t a particularly good investment, at least not in the financial sense. This is true of all diamonds but especially so with treated ones. Do not buy a diamond expecting to ever see your money again.

Neil