Help With Diamond Comparisons

TheExcelsior

I began searching for the perfect engagement ring at ShaneCo this week.

There I looked at a .90, VVS2, G for $4,305.

Upon looking at another retailer I found the same specs on a stone for $3,400.

I've been really impressed with the costmer service at ShaneCo, but $905 is a huge difference. I've been told that it may be due to a larger girdle by ShaneCo but that they'll drop their price to meet the competitors. Good news right? But being unfamiliar with the diamond industry I feel a little lost.

Isn't there a standard by which all stones are priced so can be assured that I'm getting a fair price for a stone with these specs.

Thanks for your help.

Isn't there a standard by which all stones are priced so can be assured that I'm getting a fair price for a stone with these specs.

Not really. You'll probably find it helpful to read through the forum and the answers to other peoples questions. There are lots of posts that address this same basic question. Sometimes the titles aren't as useful as you wish they were, just read 'em all.

Neil

It’s not that there are no standards, there are lots of standards, it’s that the standards are not equally applied and they are not the basis by which all stones are priced, which is what you asked. Diamonds are far more of a commodity than, say, shoes, cars, food, houses and pretty much everything else you buy but there are folks out there promoting the notion that the pricing decision can be boiled down to a table based on a few numbers. This is simply incorrect on it’s face and the reasons for promoting this idea has to do with advancing the dealer's best interests, not yours. Superficially identical stones can vary by as much as a factor of 2 or 3 depending on what tables are being used and which attributes they want to feature as important vs. which they omit entirely.

Neil

Edited by denverappraiser

Great points Neil- you can't make easy assumptions about a diamond from the numbers.

This is true for a lot of market items.

Real estate for example.

But I would say that consumers have the best experience if they do their detective work about the sellers.

If you can find an honest, fairly priced seller that you feel comfortable with, you're in good shape.

If you read a bit here you'll see some good things to look out for.

Getting a GIA report on major ( 1.00 and over) diamonds is always a good idea.