Is This A Good Deal

chan2402002

round Brilliant

1.01 Caret

6.45-6.36-3.92MM

D Color

Si2 (non visible on the top of the diamond. one long incursion on the edge which can be covered up by the prong...very hard to see with naked eye for the average person)

Ideal cut (most likely considered a very good cut by GIA)

61.2 depth

59 table

polish and sym are VG

this was graded by EGL-USA

$3800

good deal?

HI Chan,

It sounds like a simple question, yet it takes more info than we have here.

IN general, sellers promoting diamonds with non GIA reports ( like the one you've referred to) don't exactly educate the buyers as to the implications of the non GIA report.

It's likely that the diamond would receive a similar grade from GIA, but a few grades difference could mean thousands of dollars difference. For example, many non GIA SI2 grades would an get I1 from GIA.

In your case, the price seems fair for an imperfect, high colored one carat diamond.

A diamond that was graded D/Si2, EX Cut grade by GIA would bring a higher price at a store than $3800. It's unlikely that's what you're getting.

But- if you like the stone, and are comfortable with the seller, it sounds ok.

I have to add that I'm not real comfortable when sellers "abuse" non GIA grades to make it seem like the buyer is getting some amazing deal.

You’ve included a fair number of details that have a big effect on the asking price and your source is not really very good (A dealer has told you that EGL-USA told them that the stone is D/SI2/Ideal).

The difference between ‘non-visible’ and ‘very hard to see with naked eye’ it’s pretty important to most shoppers and you might want to put some thought into this difference. That’s not exactly the demising line between SI2 and I1 but it’s certainly dancing around it. Failing better information I’m going to guess that you’ve got a GIA I-1. This, of course, immediately calls into question the ‘D’ color as well since that data is from the same source.

Who called it ‘Ideal’ and who said that GIA would grade it ‘Very Good’? There are some awfully peculiar definitions of idealness out there and there are some rip snorting VG’s but EGL-USA doesn’t call anything VG so I’m going to guess that the dealer supplied this opinion. It may be correct but ask them how they came to this conclusion. Applying the GIA cut scale is remarkably difficult because there are some parameters that aren’t included in their online software (free at facetware.gia.edu, you can play with it yourself) but there are several parameters that you haven’t included even for using that system. There are definitely some skilled graders out there who can reasonably make this estimation but there are a lot more who want to use the words without understanding them.

Checking up on the price is pretty easy if you can get to the point where you’re really comparing comparable stones but you're not there yet. Use the utility at the top of the page titled ‘find online jeweler’ and search for comparable stones. You’ll quickly see what I mean. A search for 1.00-1.05, D, SI2-I1 produces more than 200 offers for stones that range from $2100 to $6600. That’s a big range and most of that difference will be in the grading accuracy and cut grading topics that we’re talking about above. Observing that $3800 is somewhere the middle doesn't really gain you much unless you know that your stone is somewhere near the middle as well.

Neil

Edited by denverappraiser

I just read this question quickly....

What in the world makes this diamond "Ideal" or "near Ideal" according to the GIA nomenclature???

Just because your jeweler "told you" doesn't make it so.....

The stone was certified by EGL, yet your jeweler is clearly promoting it and selling it based upon his assumption of "what GIA would have said"??

So why didn't he just certify/re-certify this diamond with GIA in the first place, given he is that confident (and seems to know how it "would have been graded")?

Is it possible that he would rather sell an "Ideal" from EGL ($$$) than a whatever from the more respected, more accurate, stricter, more stringent, GIA lab?? (kind of reminds me of the radio commercial for CERTIFIED pre-owned BMWS's being better than a brand new "whatever"...... :P;) )

Is it possible that EGL certificates are cheaper (considerably) than the more respected GIA certificates (all variables being equal)?

Is it possible that he didn't wish to take the chance on what GIA actually would have said regarding this diamond and would rather make more money selling it as an EGL-IDEAL?

Your jeweler has a vested interest to make a sale...at all costs.

On the other hand, your vested interest is to arm yourself with proper, factual, and accurate information before you make a purchase of this magnitude.

This diamond may very well be a great stone, for a good price. Certainly, if you saw it and liked it, then buy it.

What bothers me just a little bit here, are the kind of tactics employed by your jeweler to solidify this sale.

"What GIA could have, would have, or should have said" on a EGL certified diamond is absolutely moot and a non-starter.

This is the kind of underhanded and misleading rhetoric, purely designed to solidify a sale by injecting a "feel good assertion" based on total conjecture.

Simply put, your jeweler is telling you this stuff to help himself, not you.

Edited by DiamondMaven