Need Opinion On Engagement Ring From Bluenile

echristoperj

I wish I would have found this forum before I purchased this ring last week, but I do feel that I made a good purchase. I just want opinions, to see if I messed something up or overlooked something about the diamonds. I'll receive the ring on 11/27. The info is below. Total price paid was $9,931.00. Thanks in advance.

Center Diamond

http://www.bluenile.com/diamonds_details.a...alue=LD01183188

Stock number: LD01183188

Price: $5,711

Bank wire price: $5,626

Carat weight: 1.26

Cut: Very Good

Color: H

Clarity: VS1

Depth %: 74.5%

Table %: 73%

Symmetry: Very good

Polish: Excellent

Girdle: Thin to slightly thick

Culet: None

Fluorescence: None

Measurements: 6.06 x 5.85 x 4.36 mm

Length/width ratio: 1.04

1st Side Stone

http://www.bluenile.com/diamonds_details.a...alue=LD01168382

Stock number: LD01168382

Price: $1,197

Bank wire price: $1,180

Carat weight: 0.60

Color: I

Clarity: VS1

Depth %: 71.0%

Table %: 75%

Symmetry: Good

Polish: Very good

Girdle: Extremely thin to thick

Measurements: 4.63 x 4.59 x 3.26 mm

Length/width ratio: 1.01

2nd Side Stone

http://www.bluenile.com/diamonds_details.a...alue=LD01168377

Stock number: LD01168377

Price: $1,223

Bank wire price: $1,205

Carat weight: 0.62

Color: I

Clarity: VS2

Depth %: 73.5%

Table %: 74%

Symmetry: Very good

Polish: Excellent

Girdle: Thick

Measurements: 4.66 x 4.61 x 3.39 mm

Length/width ratio: 1.01

Setting

http://www.bluenile.com/product_details.as...arch_value=5923

Stock number: 5923

Metal: 950 platinum

Width: 2.5mm

Can be set with: Round, princess center diamonds in 0.45 to 2.10 carats

Prong metal: Platinum

Number of round diamonds: 8

Minimum carat total

weight (ct. tw.): 0.23

Average color: G

Average clarity: SI1

Setting type: Pavé setting

Hi,

I agree with Judah, being nervous isn't going to help anything!

But I do have a few questions:

Did you get a money back guarantee on everything? Including the ring, and side diamonds?

Have you seen any of the diamonds?

The matching of the stones is crucial, and the actual look of each of them can't be determined form a GIA report.

I would say that 74.5% depth is on the high side.....I'd like it much better if you could actually see the diamonds......

Hi,

Did you get a money back guarantee on everything? Including the ring, and side diamonds?

The matching of the stones is crucial, and the actual look of each of them can't be determined form a GIA report.

I would say that 74.5% depth is on the high side.....I'd like it much better if you could actually see the diamonds......

The money back guarantee is on the diamonds, not the setting. That is because the setting has to be special ordered for the size.

The links has pics of the diamonds. I don't know if all the pics or info is still available, since the diamonds are now purchased.

Hi,

The money back guarantee is on the diamonds, not the setting. That is because the setting has to be special ordered for the size.

The links has pics of the diamonds. I don't know if all the pics or info is still available, since the diamonds are now purchased.

Hi!

Were you under the impression you were looking at the diamonds you are buying?

The images on the site you purchased from are all sample images. That means it's not the diamond you are buying- every princess cut has the same photo.

Hopefully all this won't matter and the the ring will meet your expectations.

Echristopherj, This is not an opinion on your ring or even your diamonds but rather of the advertisements you've linked to and the discussion above about what can and cannot be gleaned from them in order to make a sensible shopping decision.

As mentioned above, a sample photo doesn't tell you anything at all about your stone. If you already know what a princess cut generally looks like, this is of no help at all.

A more insidious problem exists with the claim of a ‘very good’ cut princess. This, presumably, would indicate that the stone is among the better ones available. It may be, but since there is no standardize grading scale used for grading princess cuts and the only well recognized lab that cut grades them at all is AGSL, who uses a scale that doesn’t contain ‘Very Good’ as one of the choices, this begs the question of what exactly is being communicated by this grade.

They seem to be using a scale that exists purely to relate BN stones to one another using a ranking system that goes as follows (copied from their website):

Ideal cut: The highest cut grade. The proportions of this diamond produce the most beautiful sparkle in a diamond.

Very good cut: Almost the highest cut grade. This diamond is almost as brilliant as the ideal cut, but for a lower price.

Good cut: A high-quality diamond. The proportions of this diamond produce abundant sparkle at a much lower price than a very good cut.

Fair cut: A quality diamond. The proportions of this diamond make it sparkle much more than a poor cut diamond. It offers a fantastic value for the price.

Poor cut: The lowest grade of diamond cut. This diamond has noticeably less sparkle when compared to a diamond of a better cut. Most of the light that enters the diamond is lost out the sides and bottom. Every diamond that does not at least meet the proportion standards of a Fair cut falls into this category. Blue Nile does not carry diamonds with cut grades of poor.

This is not a linear scale. In fact it’s far from it. Since the scale ONLY applies to stones being sold by Blue Nile and, by their own statement they don't sell them, poor doesn’t exist at all. In the entire database of 16,537 princess cut stones (today) there are only 183 stones that have been graded ‘fair’. That’s roughly the bottom 1% of the stones. 4,464 are graded as ‘good’ so that’s 27% off the bottom for the lower 3 grades on the scale.

Let's move up to the top. ‘Signature Ideal’ has 1,110 stones in it, 6% of the available offerings and it consists of stones that are not only ‘ideal’ but that have additional paperwork and packaging to demonstrate their pedigree. That's what the 'signature' part is about. It's the house brand. Many people find the documentation and packaging useful or at least entertaining but it’s not a gemological property of the stone. It’s currently not possible to buy an ‘ideal’ princess cut stone from them without buying a ‘signature ideal’ and it’s not clear if an otherwise Very Good can become a Signature Ideal simply by adding the necessary paperwork but that's the only obvious difference and this would suggest that the gemological definitions of VG and Ideal are either identical or at least overlapping. Unfortunately, these definitions have not been provided. Perhaps there's more that they've omitted from their tutorial or maybe I just missed that part.

So what can be learned by a BN assigned cut grade of ‘Very Good’? Whoever assigned that grade thought it was in the top 3/4 of their available stones based on their graders assessment of brilliance and sparkle and that it lacks the paperwork and packaging required for signature status. They include nothing about who made this assessment, what they mean by brilliance and/or sparkle or how they measured these things but it's clear from their explain of how the product flow works that it's done without the grader actually seeing the stone in at least the majority of cases. I submit that this is not a very useful unit. Ranking somewhere beyond the bottom 1/4 of an undefined scale that is measuring undisclosed attributes of an unseen stone is simply not useful information. It would be considerably more helpful if there were a way to determine precisely what kept it out of 'ideal' along with a definition of exactly what they mean by idealness but without this there remains very little value in the grade.

Neil

Edited by denverappraiser

A very astute reply by Neil-= addressing a lot of what bothers me about the "branding" of cuts of diamonds.

One point which is also essential here is that the grades Neil described so well- these are given sight unseen!

I can just see two guys sitting in a room, no diamonds, just a list.

"Hey Sam, should we call this one "Ideal"?"

"Sure Harry, the Giants won this weekend, I'm in a good mood- Let's give it "Super Ideal"

Hi,

Hi!

The images on the site you purchased from are all sample images. That means it's not the diamond you are buying- every princess cut has the same photo.

Before I ordered the diamonds, there were photos of the actual diamonds. Not the sample drawing shown with the other details. I wish I would have saved them to show, but I wasn't thinking. Thanks.

Hi,

Hi!

Before I ordered the diamonds, there were photos of the actual diamonds. Not the sample drawing shown with the other details. I wish I would have saved them to show, but I wasn't thinking. Thanks.

All due respect, but I believe you are incorrect.

Can you show us any pages on the BN site where consumers can view the actual diamond, NOT a sample image?

I can't find any actual photos....

PS- here's an actual photo of a princess cut diamond

151r2187c.JPG

Hi,

Hi!

All due respect, but I believe you are incorrect.

Can you show us any pages on the BN site where consumers can view the actual diamond, NOT a sample image?

I can't find any actual photos....

PS- here's an actual photo of a princess cut diamond

151r2187c.JPG

I may be incorrect. There were so many sites with very similar loose diamond search feature, that they all kind of blend in together. I'll post pics when I receive. Thanks.

It's true that many sites look so alike...but of all of these sites, actual photos are extremely rare.

It's noteworthy that you believed you were looking at the actual diamonds........

Bluenile does not offer actual pictures of the diamond, reason being - they don't have the stone on hand it get's shipped directly from the manufacture. This said I believe it will work out.

Moshe

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, I received the ring and it looks great. I found a reputable jeweler to get it appraised, and they got it done in half a day. They appraised it for $19,000. I was really shocked for it to appraise that high. Is that normal? I just have to figure out a way to take better pictures of the ring. My camera is having a hard time focusing on the stones. Any tips? Here are two that I took. Sorry that they are the best.

DSC00821.jpg

DSC00823.jpg

Edited by echristoperj

Congratulations.

Appraisers will often assign prices that are extremely high. It’s usually not in your best interest to use this sort of report for insurance purposes because it increases your premiums without increasing your coverage but your insurance agent should be able to explain to you how the claims procedure works with your particular company. If you don’t understand what their value conclusion means and it’s not explained in the body of the report, ring them up and ask them. This is part of what you’re paying them to do.

The best pictures include quite a bit of light from the top. Lay the ring on a light colored surface like a sheet of paper and take the picture from a low angle looking right at the center stone. Use the ‘macro’ setting on the camera and have a lot of light coming from the same general direction as the camera. Using a tripod or similar stabilizing platform helps a lot.

Neil