Critique This Rock

papasweets

Hi

I was hoping someone could point out the good and bad with this diamond I'm about to purchase:

GIA Certified (7/07)

Shape: Round Brilliant

Measurement: 6.97-7.08 X 4.06mm

Weight: 1.16c

Color: G

Clarity: SI2 (feathers on the edge that will be hidden by the prongs)

Cut: VG

Polish: VG

Symmetry: VG

Flr: None

Table: 60%

Depth%: 57.8%

Pavilion Angle: 41.6

Pav Depth: 44%

Crown Angle: 30.5 (Is this a concern?)

Crown Depth: 12%

Girdle: Very Thin to Medium (faceted)

Culet: 0

Price: $5500

I was trying to hit 1.25c but the diameter on this was larger than some of the 1.25c diamonds I looked at and didn't seem worth the price difference. I've inspected this diamond in person and I guess you can say it "spoke to me" visually but I probably still want to go back and look at it in different light conditions. I just wanted opinions on the specs.

Please disect!

Thanks

PS

Edited by papasweets

Hi

I was hoping someone could point out the good and bad with this diamond I'm about to purchase:

GIA Certified (7/07)

Measurement: 6.97-7.08 X 4.06mm

Weight: 1.16c

Color: G

Clarity: SI2 (feathers on the edge that will be hidden by the prongs)

Cut: VG

Table: 60%

Depth%: 57.8%

Pavilion Angle: 41.6

Crown Angle: 30.5 (Is this a concern?)

Crown Depth: 12%

Girdle: Very Thin to Medium (faceted)

Price: $5500

I was trying to hit 1.25c but the diameter on this was larger than some of the 1.25c diamonds I looked at and didn't seem worth the price difference. I've inspected this diamond in person and I guess you can say it "speak to me" visually but I probably still want to go back and look at it in different light conditions. I just wanted opinions on the specs.

Please disect!

Thanks

PS

The crown angle is very low on this one and is what is called a spread stone. It may even produce a fish eye effect where you will be able to see the girdle of the diamond reflect in the stone. It won't probably be very great in light performance. Also buying an SI2 without seeing it would be very risky. Do you have any pictures of the actual diamond?

If it were me, I would opt for a better cut grade. You have plenty of budget to get a very nice 1.00 ct. diamond, even ideal cut. If you get a good upgrade policy, you can always go up later on.

post-10-1193176647_thumb.jpg

Edited by jan

Thanks for the quick reply! I guess that explains why this spread stone looked bigger than the 1.21 and 1.24c's I looked at. Just to clarify, I HAVE seen the diamond in person but I do not have a picture of it. All I have is the GIA cert diagram showing the inclusions. After some research, I now realize the crown angle is below an acceptable proportion. Regarding light performance, what would be the best way to examine the diamond when I'm sitting with the jeweler? The lighting in the room never seems appropriate.

Edited by papasweets

Thanks for the quick reply! I guess that explains why this spread stone looked bigger than the 1.21 and 1.24c's I looked at. Just to clarify, I HAVE seen the diamond in person but I do not have a picture of it. All I have is the GIA cert diagram showing the inclusions. After some research, I now realize the crown angle is below an acceptable proportion. Regarding light performance, what would be the best way to examine the diamond when I'm sitting with the jeweler? The lighting in the room never seems appropriate.

I would say to look at it in various lighting. Outside, inside in fluorescence and halogen. You might also want to compare it side by side with a very well cut or ideal cut diamond to see how it compares.

I second Jan's comments. Good advice on lighting, and especially on comparing it side by side with a premium diamond that has a different look. In particular, the table/crown angle cause this diamond to have a crown height on the low side (12%). You may like this, but suggest you compare it to a more conventional "ideal" make; look for crown height in the 14-16% range and pavilion near 40.8 degrees. In general terms what we'd expect is a greater balance of fire/colored flashes in the diamond with the higher crown and more white flashes in the one you've listed here. A jeweler's spotlights are designed to make any diamond look good so the tips about comparing them to each other in more normal lighting are good. I'd add soft or indirect light to the mix - like a room where the lighting is mainly reflected from the walls.

Thanks for the advice! I found another diamond I like even better:

GIA Certified (4/07)

Measurement: 7.07 - 7.11 X 4.42mm

Weight: 1.35c

Color: F

Clarity: SI2 (It has a white crystal inclusion on the table, but I can only see it with 10X mag)

Cut: EX

Table: 57%

Depth%: 62.3%

Pavilion Angle: 41.4

Crown Angle: 34.5

Crown Depth: 15%

Girdle: Thin to Slightly Thick (faceted)

Price: $7100

I saw this one in person at an AGS Member and was very impressed...How do these numbers look?

Edited by papasweets