De Beers And Gia

Amanda&Matt

My fiance bought my 1.51 or is it 1.62 ct. engagement ring from De Beers back in July 2007. We are unsure of what size it is because A) they did not give us the GIA certificate and I, a stupid person, didn't think to ask for one after they gave me the "De Beers Passport" with the diamond info in it, listing size as 1.62 ct. :) after 2 small pave side stones came out, we took it to the Beverly Hills store where they filled out the service forms for my "1.51" ct. ring, differing from the 1.62 ct. stated in my passport. I alerted the woman helping me to this discrepancy and she asked about my GIA cert.... which I was not given. She is contacting the NYC De Beers where the ring was bought tomorrow when they open. Should I have a problem getting this document from them? Has anyone else had experience/issues with De Beers? Thank you! I am quite worried :)

I don’t know if DeBeers uses GIA lab services or not but it sound like the person in Beverly Hills said they do. If so, I think you can be confident that they will give you the report and that this is a simple oversight. Is the report referenced in the ‘passport’ document?

Neil

I don’t know if DeBeers uses GIA lab services or not but it sound like the person in Beverly Hills said they do. If so, I think you can be confident that they will give you the report and that this is a simple oversight. Is the report referenced in the ‘passport’ document?

Neil

Its not mentioned in the passport but the sales person in Beverly Hills said it should have come with one. Also, what about the carat size discrepancy? My fiance only ever saw the 1.62 number. It wasn't until, and we would never have known about the 1.51 size if it weren't for taking the ring into the store to have a pave stone replaced. Because he bought it thinking it was 1.62, if it turns out to be 1.51, wouldn't that have been misrepresenting the diamond? Would there likely be recourse to get the size stone he paid for?

I know De Beers is a high end jeweler, but it was/has been like pulling teeth with them to get them to give me any of the paperwork or info to go along with my diamond! I'm kind of regretting not getting a smaller, 1.00-1.25 carat ring at Tiffany's. A bit more expensive, but I am absolutely POSITIVE I wouldn't have had these issues.

There's lots of jewelers who offer better customer service than this but your husband chose that one, presumably for the brand recognition. I would be a little surprised if DeBeers is misrepresenting things and I would be careful about jumping to the conclusion that the 1.51 number is the correct one. It may be, but do you have any idea where she got that number? It's at least as likely that the woman in BH is the one who is wrong. Either way, it's prudent to get to the bottom of it.

A phone call to the salesperson in NYC seems in order.

It is possible as a 3rd party appraiser to examine these things in the setting and estimate the weight to a better accuracy than that but it does take some practice to get good at it. In the end, the only way to really tell is to take it out of the setting and weigh it. Do NOT do this until you've had a thorough and accurate appraisal done in it's present condition or your risk being accused of switching the diamond yourself. This is also the only way to get a GIA exam if they didn't do it in advance.

Neil

Edited by denverappraiser

Hi All!

I'd agree with Neil about Debeers certainly not misrepresenting purposefully. But there are a few red flags here.

Number one is the lack of reference to the GIA report- which certainly has relevance on any appraisal or identification documents they provide.

Which leads to red flag number 2.

It might not be all that easy to get the GIA report at this point.

If the seller did not have that info at the time of sale, why would they have it now? Without a report number, getting a reprint is impossible.....

hopefully, it's an oversight- I'd be very interested to know the outcome!

Best of luck A&M