$1000 Budget

sunshyne

Hi everyone I am a newbie and my SO has asked me what ring I'd like. I am totally in love with the Tiffany Novo... but he says it's too much and he doesn't want to have to finance a ring sooo.....

Is it possible to get a decent diamond and ring on this >$1000.00<<<<<budget?

Thx for any help you may have :)

Edited by sunshyne

Hi everyone I am a newbie and my SO has asked me what ring I'd like. I am totally in love with the Tiffany Novo... but he says it's too much and he doesn't want to have to finance a ring sooo.....

Hi, it sounds to me you like the Tiffany Novo style ring (and stone shape) rather then the diamond itself? If I were you I'd get something similar made in palladium and quality diamonds on the side. That should be roughly your budget. And put a CZ or colored gem in the center. Then when your budget allows it in 5-10 years, etc you can replace the center stone with a diamond. That's what I would do if I was a advising a customer who really wanted that ring.

Best of luck.

Hi, it sounds to me you like the Tiffany Novo style ring (and stone shape) rather then the diamond itself? If I were you I'd get something similar made in palladium and quality diamonds on the side. That should be roughly your budget. And put a CZ or colored gem in the center. Then when your budget allows it in 5-10 years, etc you can replace the center stone with a diamond. That's what I would do if I was a advising a customer who really wanted that ring.

Best of luck.

hi there

thx for your response

i am happy .....well not really happy.. but i gotta come down on the Tiffany for now

so would just like something decent that will still have a bit of a WOW factor on that budget or quite close to it

but can't seem to find anything

i am hestiant to build my own since i have no clue what i am doing and we are in different countries for now so i'd really just want to say go to this store and get this ring.. done....

any tips?

Edited by sunshyne

If buying a colored gem or CZ temporarily is not really an option for you then the best you can realy hope for is a 1/2ct +/- diamond in a solitaire mounting, or with very modest sidestones. you can save $100-200 by getting 14K white gold instead of palladium, and save $50-100 on the diamond by getting a princess, cushion or radiant shape instead of round, and probably be within budget.

also if he goes to a store he'll probably end up paying a large premium, and your budget doesn't really seem to allow for that. you can always tell him to go to costco, sam's club, etc... but even they have a healthy profit margin still but at least he won't be taken to the cleaners from a place in the mall, etc.. but they have little to no post-purchase service so that's something to debate as well.

meeting your budget is not easy so i'm sorry there is no easy answer :)

i still think you should consider purchasing a ring design you really like, and a colored gem. well cut pink tourmalines are beautiful and relatively inexpensive in the 1-2 ct range.

here's a quick pic of some engagment-style colored gem rings i made for people on smaller budgets:

colored_rings.jpg

I apologize in advance for the poor quality photo, but I just wanted to give you an idea....

from top left to bottom right, they are:

1. 6.5ct oval pink kunzite in 14k white mounting, 2. 1.32ct pink spinel with 0.42cts diamonds in 18k rose colored mounting, 3. 2ct light blue saphire with 0.46cts side stones prong halo style in 950pd, 4. 2ct dark red/purple spinel in 14k white mounting, 5. 2.69ct pink/purple tourmaline in 950pd ring halo-bezel style w/0.53cts of diamonds, 6. 1.90ct yellow tourmaline emerald shape in 18k yellow bezel and 950pd ring shank w/0.10cts of diamonds, and 7. 3.51ct peridot oval shape in 950pd ring prong halo style, 0.42cts diamonds.

those rings are all between $239 and $1349 with most <$1000

now if you don't like them that's fine, but i think a lot of them would have more "wow" factor then a 1/2ct solitiare. just my opinion of course :) i'm not saying you should buy one of my rings, i'm just saying if you want a wow factor, you should really consider colored gems, or even CZ. get the ring you love and worry about the center stone later.

does a pink kunzite look like a pink diamond? does a light blue saphire look like a blue diamond? does a yellow tourmaline look like a yellow diamond? sure a little bit. will it fool a jeweler or someone who knows diamonds? of course not. but at least it's a natural untreated gem, it looks nice, and it's within budget, and you can set it in an engagement style ring and it doesn't look like a cocktail ring. but again it's up to you.

Edited by Adylon

It’s not an especially easy thing but what you’re looking for isn’t impossible either and I specifically applaud him for not going into debt over this. A half carat is a perfectly respectable size and if you aim for, say, 0.45cts you can get a H/I SI1/SI2 for $700 or so. This leaves you $300 for the mounting, setting, shipping etc.

There’s a database at the top of the page titled ‘find online jeweler’ where you can play with the various parameters and see what it does to the price when you change things. Most of the jewelers who advertise here have online catalogs with lots of different mountings and $300 won’t get you much in the way of additional diamonds on the piece but if you stick with 14k or palladium instead of platinum, it’ll get you dozens of style choices. You might even have money left over that you can spend on a bigger diamond or just end up with money in the bank.

More choices can be seen at:

www.stuller.com

www.overnightmountings.com

www.uniquesettings.com

These are all big manufactures. They don’t sell directly to consumers but most of the jewelers, both online and on the street who can sell you a diamond can also get mountings from these folks and others and can arrange to have it set and sized to whatever you need.

Congratulations on your engagement.

Neil

Edited by denverappraiser

You should have no problem getting a really nice diamond engagement ring.

Your budget will allow you to get a well-cut round brilliant diamond in the .40-.49 carat, H-I color,

SI-1/SI-2 clarity with either a 14 K gold or Palladium setting.

Also Check individual Vendor Upgrade Policies.

Edited by barry