Getting A New Setting

bradb

My fiance is dead-set on getting a new setting for the nice diamond I gave to her. I imagine that the stone needs to be left behind and I'm worried that it could be swapped accidentally or on purpose. Now... I know the first response would be go to someone you trust, and of course, but accidents do happen.

I can identify the flaws in the diamond if i have something greater than 10x. But I don't know if the jeweler will have something greater than 10x.

What if I put some nail polish on the diamond in order to mark it? Would this hurt the stone?

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

My fiance is dead-set on getting a new setting for the nice diamond I gave to her. I imagine that the stone needs to be left behind and I'm worried that it could be swapped accidentally or on purpose. Now... I know the first response would be go to someone you trust, and of course, but accidents do happen.

I can identify the flaws in the diamond if i have something greater than 10x. But I don't know if the jeweler will have something greater than 10x.

What if I put some nail polish on the diamond in order to mark it? Would this hurt the stone?

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Nail polish is easily removed...and if it were done by accident it could stress you out when it wasn't there at pick-up time. The best route is matching it to the grading report (the grading report should have a plot - or if it was a 'dossier' style report the girdle may be inscribed?). Many jewelers have microscopes and will assist you in identifying your diamond's inclusions at both drop-off and pick-up

Edited by JohnQuixote

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Sure. Get it appraised by a capable appraiser who documents what’s special about your stone. Then get it insured. Most jewelers are hard working people who deserve your trust but this transfers any risk that someone will steal your stone from you to your insurer. If there’s a problem simply file a claim and let them work out what happened.

When the new ring is complete, go back to the appraiser, get the appraisal updated to show the new improved ring and to match the stone to the records from the prior appraisal.

Then wear the ring and don’t worry about it.

Neil

Nail polish?? Why play games with a stone.

Truth of the matter is, I would not do anything of the sort..polish/marker is removed and you start thinking the stone was switched.

For real protection, get your diamond laser inscribed, Gemprinted and/or Independently Appraised.

For a very informative read that I think/hope will allay your fears and concerns and will most certainly help you protect your diamond, I suggest you read this blog entry.

Best Of luck!

Judah,

Unfortunately, Gemprint is no longer a viable solution for clients who live outside of NYC, and possibly not even for those who live there. Collectors Universe bought the Gemprint company in 2006 and shut down support for all but one Gemprint center. The only way to now have a stone Gemprinted is to send it unmounted to New York and the only way to match a stone to a Gemprint to see if it’s changed is to send it back again to New York. Logistically this makes the service effectively useless for anything other than narrowest of court type purposes because the whole thing is now behind closed doors. It’s a pity. It used to be a very useful service for customers who are concerned about this.

Fortunately, alternative technologies have come up that make it pretty easy to recognize a particular stone. Laser inscriptions are certainly among the easiest but there is a concern that they can be easily removed and, not-so-easily counterfeited. Depending on the mounting they can also be hidden by parts of the setting that make them less useful. For most stones, the key is to simply learn to recognize the details of your stone. A good appraiser will teach you exactly what to look for and may even provide photomicrographs of the important details to make it easy to match later.

Neil

Edited by denverappraiser

Judah,

Unfortunately, Gemprint is no longer a viable solution for clients who live outside of NYC, and possibly not even for those who live there. Collectors Universe bought the Gemprint company in 2006 and shut down support for all but one Gemprint center. The only way to now have a stone Gemprinted is to send it unmounted to New York and the only way to match a stone to a Gemprint to see if it’s changed is to send it back again to New York. Logistically this makes the service effectively useless for anything other than narrowest of court type purposes because the whole thing is now behind closed doors. It’s a pity. It used to be a very useful service for customers who are concerned about this.

Fortunately, alternative technologies have come up that make it pretty easy to recognize a particular stone. Laser inscriptions are certainly among the easiest but there is a concern that they can be easily removed and, not-so-easily counterfeited. Depending on the mounting they can also be hidden by parts of the setting that make them less useful. For most stones, the key is to simply learn to recognize the details of your stone. A good appraiser will teach you exactly what to look for and may even provide photomicrographs of the important details to make it easy to match later.

Neil

Neil,

Tell me about it...

We bought into the Gemprint technology about 1 year before they were bought out.

During that time, we would offer Gemprint services to all of our customer on every single diamond we sold.

We have the machine in house and had gorgeous certificates with our logo stamped on it, supplied to us by Gemprint.

We were doing a gemprint for a few dollars on every diamond we sold and our customers loved it.

Guess what; today we still have the Gemprint machine in-house, but can no longer offer the technology, since it was bought by a new company and is now a part of the GCAL Diamond Certificate (exclusively).

Thus, the machine sits in our diamond lab and would make for a pretty good doorstopper....but that's about it ;)

We were approached by "Rockdoc" (may he rest in peace) to get involved in a possible class action lawsuit with some other companies who bought into the machine and were subsequently ...#$%...

We declined.

Suffice to say, the technology is still very good and technically, the customer can get their hands on a Gemprint if they submit the diamond to GCAL for certification.

....so we know all "the news that's fit to print" re: the Gemprint........

Edited by DiamondMaven

Your's and mine together could make a set of bookends. ;)

Brilliancescope is claiming a similar functionality these days although I've never seen it done. They don't have a huge market penetration but they sure beat having just 1. Any idea if it works?

I stand by my advice above:

Get it appraised.

Get it insured.

Put in a setting that makes her heart sing.

Quit worrying and be happy.

Neil

Edited by denverappraiser

Neil,

Would you belive that when I called the sales rep. at GCAL to inquire about continuing to use the Gemprint machine (we were obviously willing to pay for the Gemprints but certainly did not require double/additional grading from GCAL on our already certified GIA/AGS stones..) in isolation, he mockingly told me to use it as a "doorstop" (his line originally...not my own)!!!

The temerity and hubris was just unbelievable...I never told my Dad about it...didn't wish to upset him (he might read about it here, though..;-)

Anyway, with respect to the BrillianceScope machine (which we also have in-house), I'm not sure that this new effort to "fingerprint" each diamond (using the diffused image #6 when light source is directly over the diamond and at its lowest point) really took root amongst the Bscope community.

The machine is great for its intended use.....

Methiks the new initiative to showcase a unique "fingerprint" is pushing the envelope past its "stuffing capacity" ;)

The Gemprint technology for fingerprinting is much better....

Edited by DiamondMaven