Princess Cut Viewing Characteristics

sell682

Hello All,

This is my first post on this forum and I am hoping you will be able to help me with my question.

Well when viewing a princess cut diamond through the top or back you should not be able to look though it at all, since all the light is reflected in so many different directions.

However what about a profile view. By the way its cut should you be able to look through the top half of the diamond just before the gridle? I was thinking this because of the cut and the sysmetry of the diamond. Where as a round cut diamond you cannot see through the sides because of the different facets.

Thank you very much for all the help.

Hi Sell,

It's a tough question to answer - because it's hard to understand.

In general, it's not possible to "look thru" a modern polished diamond- because the angels of the facets prevent the light from traveling straight through.

Are you looking at a stone and trying to figure out if it's a diamond?

We’re not ignoring you, it’s just that I, for one, still don’t understand the question. Diamonds are cut to optimize the view from the top (or not), not how they look from the profile view. To some extend they are all transparent form the side although it would be a little hard to read through them.

Neil

We’re not ignoring you, it’s just that I, for one, still don’t understand the question. Diamonds are cut to optimize the view from the top (or not), not how they look from the profile view. To some extend they are all transparent form the side although it would be a little hard to read through them.

Neil

Sorry for not being clear. What I ment was is it possible to see clearly through a princess cuts diamonds profile. I was unable to see the ring posted but i could kind of see colors through the side and that frightened me. I love the ring but wanted to make sure i wasnt makeing a false statement and think it is fake because color is seen through the side. Please take a look at the pics and let me know what you think.

I understand what you mean. The answer is no. I took some princess cut diamonds out and couldn't see straight through any of them through the crown. They are still faceted where you can't see straight through the stone.

As far as the 1.32 ct. that you are looking at on paper....... the girdle is reason for some concern with the extremely thin to extremely thick girdle variance. Probably won't be the brightest stone in the bunch. You might want to learn a little more about light performance analysis.

Go to :

www.gemex.com

I understand what you mean. The answer is no. I took some princess cut diamonds out and couldn't see straight through any of them through the crown. They are still faceted where you can't see straight through the stone.

As far as the 1.32 ct. that you are looking at on paper....... the girdle is reason for some concern with the extremely thin to extremely thick girdle variance. Probably won't be the brightest stone in the bunch. You might want to learn a little more about light performance analysis.

Go to :

www.gemex.com

Whats a light performance analysis and where can I possibly get one done?

www.gemex.com has a list of Authorized Dealers that have the machine in-house.

Check their listing for the Dealer nearest you and find out out the cost/logistics in getting your diamond evaluated.