A Happy And Joyous Sukkot To All Our Friends!

DiamondMaven

Diamond.info Friends,

Our offices and factory will be closing this evening (Wed. September 26) and reopening on Monday, October 1, 2007 at 9:30 a.m. We are closed in observance of the beautiful Jewish holiday of Sukkot, when we rejoice with our creator.

On Sukkot we eat in the Sukka.

A 'Sukka' is a temporary dwelling. If you live in a Jewish area, you may see people putting up these small weird looking rooms. They may look something like this:

]sukka.jpg

A Sukka

We are supposed to eat, sleep, and dwell in this Sukka during this Holiday festival.

During this time, we will not be posting here.

We wish all of our friends who are celebrating this wonderful holiday a happy and joyous holiday in the company of friends and family.

To all of you who are not celebrating this particular Holiday, we wish you all the best that life has to offer, now and always!

Health, Wealth and Plenty of Time To Actually Enjoy It!!! ;):P

Edited by DiamondMaven

Judah,

Have a wonderful holiday.

I have several neighbors who will build a sukka in their yards each year and all I’ve spoken with have described this as their ‘favorite’ holiday. I have wondered how Jews living in places like Manhattan, where private yards are an alien idea, can accommodate the requirement that the roof be open to the sky. Surely there aren’t sukkot being built on the sidewalks of 5th avenue. Are there?

When you get back to work, I would love to hear a bit more about how this logistically happens.

Neil

Edited by denverappraiser

Didn't W.C. Fields say there was one born every minute?

:P

OH...Sukka!

;) Happy holidays, all.

Megan,

Right you are!!

Great food too....

Neil,

Great points..it is not easy for sure.

There is a requirement in Jewish law (as you pointed out) that the Sukka be open to the sky with no overhead obstruction including trees/branches...

This makes it extremely difficult in a confined place like Manhattan.

However, it seems like everyone makes do, with all kinds of improvisational ideas and gimmicks... :)

Fo some really cool sukka pictures including one of a "Sukka on a truck", check out this Flickr link!

On a different note; I feel like I gained about 10 pounds from all of the festivities!!

BTW, it all starts up again this Wednesday evening Oct 3, through The 7, when we will be closed again for the culmination of this Holiday, called Shemini Atzeret.

Edited by DiamondMaven