Buying Online From Uk, Oval Diamond

ross 51

I am a newbee to this site but have read all of the comments and know there is a huge ammount of expertiese out there.

I'm looking to buy a solitaire engagement ring that is set with an oval diamond. I've been shopping with my partner and was shocked at the sort of stuff in the jewelers here around Edinburgh.

We did however find a setting she likes, it was platinum, with a flat pinched shank and a basket setting, it was a thin band of around 2.5mm that would fit flush to a wedding band. We saw this in a shop called lime blue diamonds.

We also decided on an oval diamond, somewhere in size between 0.7 and 1.1 carat. the shop however was doing the hard sell on a small diamond without grading reports.

Do you guys have any tips on how to get a good ring for my money, i'm reluctant to buy without seeing especially from outwith the UK, but if there are reputable dealers out there i would be willing to use them, the only worry i would have is after sales stuff like sizing and getting a matching wedding band.

I have got further in my search now, i have lined up a diamond and a ring from http://www.diamondgeezer.com/ has anyone had any experience from this lot either good or bad? they seem fairly straight up with thier pricing and details of thier products.

I am looking at this stone going for £2654, do you think this is a good deal / good diamond?java script:popUp(

Shape: Oval

Weight:1.02cts.

Colour: F - Rare White

Clarity: SI1 -Eye Clean

Fluorescence: Faint Blue

Polish: Very Good

Symmetry: Very Good

Size: 7.71-5.41X3.65mm

Certificated by: GIA

thanks in advance for any help

We've sold many people from the UK, however being from there I would make sure that you get a GIA lab report and get to see actual pictures of the stone before you purchase it, if considering buying online. Also check the better business bureau and it woudn't hurt to get some light performance analysis on the diamond as well.

• 1 month later...

Just an update, I placed an order with http://www.diamondgeezer.com/ for the diamond that i mentioned in the last post set in a simple platinum solitaire band. The order went in on the 9th Oct and was supposed to be delivered the 30th. They insisted i paid 100% up-front.

Straight away there was a problem, the diamond i'd ordered and paid for was not available (although its still listed on thier website to this day) there were alternatives that would cost me more! eventually i got offered this one insted:Oval 1.02 F SI1 GIA VG VG N 7.72 x 5.4 X 3.6, i agreed and teh deal went on.

every day or so i got an update telling me the order is on track for the set delivery date. then the day before it was due the date got changed. This happened for 2 weeks. There was apparently a mix up with the diamonds. then there was a problem with customs.

I eventually got the ring looked good untill i looked closer at teh paperwork and found that the diamond was not teh one i had agreed on.

diamond that has arrived is as follows: Oval 1.02 F SI1 EGL G G N 7.81 x 5.75 x 3.31

The diamond that we agreed upon was: Oval 1.02 F SI1 GIA VG VG N 7.72 x 5.4 X 3.6

The diamond i originaly ordered was :

Shape: Oval

Weight:1.02cts.

Colour: F - Rare White

Clarity: SI1 -Eye Clean

Fluorescence: Faint Blue

Polish: Very Good

Symmetry: Very Good

Size: 7.71-5.41X3.65mm

Certificated by: GIA

Now apparently the diamond merchant send the wrong one to diamondgeezer to get mounted and no-one noticed. The right one is being sent for and the ring that was sent to me is going back to get teh diamond exchanged.

Is this sort of thing common?

At this rate it'll take about 2 months to get this order to completion.

No this is not common, there is a big deferent’s between a EGL and a GIA, i don't know who these people are but this should be happening. Did you check the BBB if they are listed and if yes which grade do they give them. This is very important.

The most important thing in purchasing a diamond is trust, if you can't trust those people i would suggest to ask for a refund.