Gia Report

prep

For people who aren't accustomed to doing business with them it may be easier to have a local jeweler or appraiser send it in on your behalf but GIA will accept work directly from anyone in the world.

Here’s the details.

http://www.gia.edu/gemtradelab/31508/how_t...bmit_stones.cfm

Neil

Edited by denverappraiser

I have several diamonds - one has an egl report and the rest just have dealers report. I would like to know how to go about getting a gia report.

Thanks Neil, for your advice. I was wondering if I went to there office in New York,since I only live across the river. I"m only 30 to 45 minutes away. There not loose diamonds, there all set in rings....I would really like to know the gia report v/s egl and the dealer/jeweler report. I do have complete specs. on the stones.....thanks again Neil, for your help. Prep

GIA will only inspect unmounted stones. If you really need to know you can have the stone removed and reset by a jeweler but the costs and risks of that are rarely justified by the need to know. My observation is that GIA and EGL range from a dead on match to as much as 3 or 4 grades different. When they differ, EGL is ALWAYS the more lenient of the two. EGL-USA seems to have a significantly better history than the other labs working under that moniker.

If you already own the pieces, why are you considering having them regraded?

Neil

Since GIA will only grade loose diamonds, you will have to have them unmounted in order to get a color/clarity grade.

Unless you're looking to sell these stones, you need to decide if the expense is worth the time and hassle.

Since GIA will only grade loose diamonds, you will have to have them unmounted in order to get a color/clarity grade.

Unless you're looking to sell these stones, you need to decide if the expense is worth the time and hassle.

Time, hastle and RISK. pulling and resetting stones can damage the stones, the mounting or both. This is almost always a bad idea if the issue is just casual interest in the different grading standards.

Neil