Gonna Buy Today... Good Price?

bradb

Brad,

With respect to price (if that is your only concern..) the price tag is actually very good!

If part of your question on price revolves around how the diamond will actually look when you see it (a.k.a. light performance), you have not supplied (been given?) enough information.

Light performance?

Ideal Scope Photo?

BrillianceScope Results?

Actual Photographs?

"Eye-Clean" diamond?

HCA Score?

Sarin/MegaScope analysis?

Of course, if you have seen this diamond in person, forget about all of the above and just go with what your eyes tell you.

Some jewelers (usually of the old school) will say that all of the above is just scientific "mumbo jumbo" and "marketing fluff"....etc.

I actually agree, to an extent ;-).....but.......only once the customer (you) has actually, physically seen/inspected the diamond and has thus formulated an opinion and decision on whether or not the diamond appeals to them.

However, without the luxury of actually seeing the diamond first, this crucial information (if you can get it) adds tremendous value, since (in its totality) it provides an excellent and accurate indication of how beautiful and sparkly the diamond will be, when you physically see it for the very first time. It wil also assure you of whether or not the diamond is free of any visible inclusions and of the actual cut precision of the stone.

To be sure, the diamond has a very good cut grade from GIA, which does say alot.

Still, within the "very good" nomenclature and cut designation from GIA there is variability where some diamonds look, act and react better than others...

I would just get as much additional info. as possible to confirm that the stone is indeed a beauty and then I would buy it, cuz the price is right!

You are on the right track and I wish you the very best of luck!

Let us know what happens.

The best retail jewelers are offering more technical information these days - often because they carry GIA and AGS reports which give all major measurements. At the least you should expect to know that proportions information (for rounds).

Internet sellers provide selected 'mumbo jumbo' :) listed above in order to 'prove' the performance pedigree for consumers, who are shopping sight-unseen and becoming increasingly educated. The eyes absolutely have it in live shopping situations - just be sure to view the diamond in several lighting conditions away from jewelers' spotlights.

I disagree a little bit about the 'VG' cut grade. GIA VG includes some serious dogs. Judah, did you know they allow up to 64.5% depth in VG? For the OP, that can make a 1.01 ct stone spread only 6.30mm (meaning it will appear like a 0.91ct stone with proper depth) ;) For those who know proportions, this may imply 56T, 41.8 PA and 36.5 CA (ouch!) and still be in VG.

Now that's a worst case scenario so please don't assume it applies to the diamond you've found... Additionally, if you were to look at a diamond that deep away from bright jewelery store lighting (which makes all diamonds look niiiice) your eyes would tell you the bad news, and comparing it to normally sized (near 6.4-6.5mm) 1 caraters would definitely raise flags.

If you're seeking the elusive but findable eye-clean SI2 be sure to also view the diamond away from bright lights to check that aspect. Diffused light (overhead fluorescents) works nicely for evaluating clarity.

Edited by JohnQuixote

Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies. I actually JUST bought the diamond a few hours ago and have been feeling really good about it! I'm glad you guys thing the price is good because i've been feeling that way as well....I bought it in person and upon seeing it, comparing it and seeing the price, i gravitated to it, bought it, and got a 60 day return policy.

The thing is quite sparkley, and I cannot see the inclusions with the loupe, i searched for awhile. I can't see inclusions from the sides either... they keep saying it should be graded a SI1...

lemme list the specs:

Ct. wt: 1.01

color: G

Clar: SI2

Cut: VG

Tot. Depth: 61.6%

Table Size: 58%

Girdle: med to slightly thick

culet: none

polish: VG

Symmetry: VG

Fluor: Med Blue

Its smart now to go get it appraised right? then put it on my insurance policy?

Thanks so much guys,

bb

Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies. I actually JUST bought the diamond a few hours ago and have been feeling really good about it! I'm glad you guys thing the price is good because i've been feeling that way as well....I bought it in person and upon seeing it, comparing it and seeing the price, i gravitated to it, bought it, and got a 60 day return policy.

The thing is quite sparkley, and I cannot see the inclusions with the loupe, i searched for awhile. I can't see inclusions from the sides either... they keep saying it should be graded a SI1...

lemme list the specs:

Ct. wt: 1.01

color: G

Clar: SI2

Cut: VG

Tot. Depth: 61.6%

Table Size: 58%

Girdle: med to slightly thick

polish: VG

Symmetry: VG

Fluor: Med Blue

Its smart now to go get it appraised right? then put it on my insurance policy?

Thanks so much guys,

bb

Looks nice. With those basic specs I'm wondering why cut was VG instead of EX. Just curious, what are the crown and pavilion angles? Is there perhaps the comment "cut grade affected by brillianteering of the half-facets"? Inquiring minds...

Appraisal is good - make sure it's an independent (someone who does not sell diamonds or jewelry). It's cool that you found a clean SI2 :)

table size: 58%

crown angle: 37.5

crown height: 16%

pavilion Angle: 40.2%

Pavilion Depth: 42.5%

star length: 55%

Lower half: 80%

Girdle: Med to slightly thick

Comments: pinpoints are not shown.

??

The pavilion/crown combination explains why GIA gave it VG, but you found a very cool combo. With that crown height I expect you are seeing some major colored flashes in spotlighting such as the small canned lights in an elevator, over a bar (or in Costco & Wal-Mart these days). Something else you can smile about is that most GIA VG combinations overlap with the mid to low end of predicted AGS cut grading but this ranks quite high. Nice work - your good feeling was right - and it's eye-clean! Enjoy.

Edited by JohnQuixote