Help!!!! I'm Stuck

frogdog51

Geez, I'm started to get a headache with all these abbreviations, VS1, S1, GIA, EGL, TN, STK etc etc.

I've narrowed down my choices but don't know which one is the best, any advice by people who are "in the know" would be great. Would the J be a good color if the cut is "ideal" or "very good-excellent". I'm kinda stuck on which way to go. Thanks!

Oh, by the way.."Select Ideal" and "Premium" are cuts that Union Diamond gives these. I'm sure they'd be called something else from different places like Bluenile.

The last one is EGL..the rest are GIA cert

CUT: SELECT IDEAL

CARAT: . 97

COLOR: J

CLARITY: VS1

MEASUREMENTS: 6.33-6.31-3.97

DEPTH 62.8

TABLE 59

GRIDLE TN-STK

CULET NONE

POLISH VG

SYMM VG

FLOUR FAINT

PRICE $3572

CARAT: 1.03

CLARITY SI1

MEASUREMENTS 6.56-6.55-3.98

DEPTH 60.7

TABLE 57

GRIDLE TN-M

CULET NONE

POLISH EX

SYMM EX

FLOUR FAINT

PRICE 3475

CUT: PREMIUM

CARAT: .93

CLARITY SI2

MEASUREMENTS 6.38-6.29-3.79

DEPTH 59.8

TABLE 58

GRIDLE TN-M

CULET NONE

POLISH EX

SYMM EX

FLOUR NONE

PRICE $2891

CARAT: 1.02

CLARITY SI2

MEASUREMENTS 6.41-6.35-3.99

DEPTH 62.5

TABLE 58

GRIDLE M-STK

CULET NONE

POLISH EX

SYMM EX

FLOUR NONE

PRICE $3213

CARAT: .86

CLARITY VS2

MEASUREMENTS 6.08-6.06-3.79

DEPTH 62.4

TABLE 56

GRIDLE M-STK

CULET NONE

POLISH EX

SYMM EX

FLOUR NONE

PRICE $2471

EGL

CARAT: 1.17

COLOR: H

CLARITY SI2

MEASUREMENTS .65-6.59-4.14

DEPTH 62.5

TABLE 60

GRIDLE STK-TK

CULET NONE

POLISH EX

SYMM VG

FLOUR NONE

PRICE $3577

Edited by frogdog51

Welcome to the forum,

A few comments without actually answering your question:

There is a significant price jump that occurs with stones that happens when the weight crosses a carat and I would recommend you narrow down your specs enough to include that detail. This is the reason that #3 and #5 are so much less expensive. Coming in slightly under a carat is a popular size choice because of this but a lot of folks just have to pass that 1.00 point for emotional reasons and since emotional reasons are the whole point of this stuff, you have to take them seriously.

EGL-International uses the word ‘premium’ as the title for one of their cut grades and this is probably where Union is getting it. The scale is not well defined that I can find so I’m generally inclined to ignore it in it’s entirety but it looks like there are 7 grades that would rank something like this:

Hearts and Arrows Ideal

Superpremium Ideal

Tolkowski Ideal

Premium Ideal

Ideal

Premium

No name

I’m not sure what ‘select ideal’ means from Union or how it relates to other things on their scale but you should ask them. They’re pretty communicative folks if you call them up and ask specific questions. If you don’t understand the term or you don’t know how to relate it to other things then it’s not helpful and useless information is actually worse than useless because it distracts you from getting to what you really need to know.

The clarity difference between GIA/VS1 and EGL/SI2 is huge. As with the question of weight, you really should narrow this down a bit more. This span covers more than half the scale. In many cases this difference will be responsible for a difference of close to a factor of 2 in the prices.

FWIW, my wife’s wedding ring has a J/SI2 in it. It seems to be working just fine. I've been married for 17 years and still going.

Neil