Emmy Awards A Total 'bling' Fest!

DiamondMaven

Am I the only one who noticed that the Emmy awards have become less and less about the Hollywood industry and more and more about the Diamond Industry??

Assuredly, the general fact that the celebs. are all over themselves trying to outdo one another with over-the-top jewelry and diamond bling, is a great thing for our industry.

Still, I am so dizzy from all the specific coverage of "who was actually wearing what", that I promised not to address it on our Diamond Vues Blog. :P

As an aside, I always find it interesting to see:

a. The specific choices and tastes of the various celebrities, when it comes to diamonds and jewelry.

b. The fact that some celebrities look glorious when they are accentuated by shining diamonds.....while..

c. ...some glorious diamonds are made to look dull and tarnished, when worn by certain "un-shining" celebrities..... ;)

Hey Judah,

True that! So many of the stories are about what people are wearing in terms of diamonds and jewelry!

It seems like Pink is ALWAYS in. Some people make the case J-lo started all the pink diamond fever- but I feel they've been popular ..well alwys. Whatdo yo think.

BTW Judah- I would really appreciate if you would go to this thread to respond and clarify a few comments you made.

Hey Judah,

True that! So many of the stories are about what people are wearing in terms of diamonds and jewelry!

It seems like Pink is ALWAYS in. Some people make the case J-lo started all the pink diamond fever- but I feel they've been popular ..well alwys. Whatdo yo think.

BTW Judah- I would really appreciate if you would go to this thread to respond and clarify a few comments you made.

Done.

Am I the only one who noticed that the Emmy awards have become less and less about the Hollywood industry and more and more about the Diamond Industry??

Assuredly, the general fact that the celebs. are all over themselves trying to outdo one another with over-the-top jewelry and diamond bling, is a great thing for our industry.

Very true. We had pieces worn last year and were able to attend. Did you know there are several events for the purpose of handing out bling pre-show? There was an "Iced Out Suite" at the Sofitel hotel for several days ahead of the '06 awards where celebs reviewed designer items. Our Dreams of Africa initiative was featured so our CEO got to meet and greet and be the "bling expert." There's even a red carpet event staged by the PGI...you know...just in case you forgot your 7ct diamond pendant at home and need to borrow one!

The amount of high dollar jewelry in the audience is insane (and not limited to the ladies!). The celebs gather afterwards at the Governor's Ball. Between the actors, sports stars, agents and trophy spouses there it was literally 'diamonds by the yard' - and yes, there is a tangible undercurrent of "outdo." ;)

Photos from the Sofitel suite.

Red Carpet suite.

Wouldn't it be nice it, before your neighborhood superbowl party, someone staged an event where the average joe could come in and select designer jerseys, foam fingers, steins, etc... ?

Edited by JohnQuixote

John,

I’ve been itching to know how the money flows with these deals. This sort of thing is obviously a huge deal for the clothing industry and my understanding is that it can make or break a designer. It doesn’t seem to be that extreme for jewelers yet but being on TV nestled in some celebrity cleavage has to be good. Do you have to pay them to wear your stuff or do they pay you and just buy it like the rest of us? Does Geena Davis get a better deal because she's, well, she's Geena Davis? Does Larry King have to pay extra for the same reason? Do you give them free stuff, or at least if you do, do you get it back at the end of the show? For some things this isn’t such a big deal and I can see the logic of a gift but some of this merchandise is in the millions or even tens of millions of dollars and surely they aren’t prepared to just give it away in exchange for a few pictures on the tube, are they?

Neil

Edited by denverappraiser

John,

Your "Dreams of Africa" stuff is beautiful..big fan here.

Insofar as these events either "making or breaking" a designer, this is absolutely true.

From my research for our diamond blog, you have no idea what kind of influence the celebrities wield when it comes to trends and patterns in the diamond industry.

There is an association made, that if Ashante (hope I spelled that right..;-) or Brad Pit wears "X", then it must be a cool, hip, expensive, beautiful, ..-insert any adjective here- product.

Of course this is simply "perception" and celebrities are actually paid (with money or bling) to endorse certain brands.

In fact, in many instances, celebrities who endorse certain jewelry designers for the money, clearly have no desire or liking for the actual designs.

I actually blogged a little while ago on this really cool story where Raymond Weil actually sued actress Charlize Theron, for breaching her contract and being caught wearing another watch brand!!!

Edited by DiamondMaven

John,

I’ve been itching to know how the money flows with these deals. This sort of thing is obviously a huge deal for the clothing industry and my understanding is that it can make or break a designer. It doesn’t seem to be that extreme for jewelers yet but being on TV nestled in some celebrity cleavage has to be good. Do you have to pay them to wear your stuff or do they pay you and just buy it like the rest of us? Does Geena Davis get a better deal because she's, well, she's Geena Davis? Does Larry King have to pay extra for the same reason? Do you give them free stuff, or at least if you do, do you get it back at the end of the show? For some things this isn’t such a big deal and I can see the logic of a gift but some of this merchandise is in the millions or even tens of millions of dollars and surely they aren’t prepared to just give it away in exchange for a few pictures on the tube, are they?

Neil

We already had a relationship with Ms Davis and Dreams of Africa is a non-profit initiative so I suspect we got a break to be in the suite (?) but don't recall details. The GIA Symposium was happening at the same time so I was rent-carring it between San Diego and LA-la Land to make the seminars and the Emmy parties. On a day when you have lunch with Al Gilbertson and dinner with Miss Brazil you've covered a lot of ground.

Non-disclosure of details is often a part of these deals, but there is huge demand for product placement and many companies are willing to pay to play. There's no arguing the impact of pop-culture fashion. Our marketing budget won’t permit a Superbowl commercial, but our publicist has involved us in press-worthy events: Most times this is a matter of loaning unique pieces to attendees of the Emmys, SAG awards, Miss Teen USA etc...items which have appeal to the big-bling-minded. Much of it is arranged in advance. With any notable event comes parties and after-parties with no shortage of press, and we’ve teamed with Stereo House, Lionsgate, FOX and FOX-Searchlight to help sponsor such gatherings. The venue, caterer, DJ, wardrobe, jewelry providers and others will underwrite the cost of the promotion in exchange for publicity and the opportunity to outfit a star or stars for the evening. Again, these are pieces we created to loan, but we'll pay for the bubbly or ice-sculpture or somesuch. Then there are events where we may gift someone outright (this is the get it ‘for free’ part ;) ) or, if not that, give a well-discounted price to their agency. We’ve done this for celebrity birthdays and film openings. Our country is a funny place and I was shocked at how much Jessica Simpson wearing a Whiteflash bangle seems to energize bangle sales.

There are returns beyond the press of the moment. We've had celebs contact us at a future date, requesting to borrow a piece again and/or work on other projects with us. The “My Fair Brady†wedding we were involved in on VH1 was like this; we wound up providing nuptial bands for Chris Knight and Adrienne Curry.

There are humanitarian causes for gifting too: For the Rita Hayworth Gala we donated two pieces to the silent auction raise awareness for the Alzheimer’s cause and Dreams of Africa. Princess Yasmin and Donna Dixon wore our jewelry for the event, and introduced our CEO to a number of philanthropists interested in causes like Dreams.

I hope the general overview is enough Neil? There are no hard or fast rules. There are times we say “Wow, that was great!†(some are just fabulous people) while other times it’s “Ok, maybe we won’t do that again...†like the $80K piece that came back looking like it was used to beat the drums at a party. It had to be completely reworked and some stones re-polished.

You can see coverage from the last couple of years here: http://www.whiteflash.com/whiteflash_articles/

Edited by JohnQuixote

Guys,

Another consideration is that companies will often create singular "specialty" items and products, specifically for the purpose of advertising their normal product lines.

Think the $100,00 diamond studded Pepsi can..

and the Hearts on Fire diamond Bra.....

Edited by DiamondMaven

John,

Your "Dreams of Africa" stuff is beautiful..big fan here.

Insofar as these events either "making or breaking" a designer, this is absolutely true.

From my research for our diamond blog, you have no idea what kind of influence the celebrities wield when it comes to trends and patterns in the diamond industry.

There is an association made, that if Ashante (hope I spelled that right..;-) or Brad Pit wears "X", then it must be a cool, hip, expensive, beautiful, ..-insert any adjective here- product.

Thanks Judah. I know you recognize the value of being proactive in that area. There are no quick solutions but every little bit helps. Kudos on the blog by the way.

I don't know that we have anything for Brad but I absolutely love Ashanti. She's a rare talent and a classy lady. I hope you're right about 'cool, hip,' etc... She wore Whiteflash citrine, blue topaz, peridot and ACA diamond drop earrings last year at a function in the Hamptons. ;)

post-111809-1190142081_thumb.jpg

Edited by JohnQuixote

Shucks...I knew I misspelled Ashanti (I wrote Ashante..) :-(

Very cool!

Did she get to keep those earrings?

I hear it pronounced like you spelled it (I'm from a family of spelling sticklers too).

She wore the earrings for the event only. They're part of a set she selected to match that dress. The necklace would have been a bit much for the ensemble. I've always thought she was very stylish and elegant.

post-111809-1190157407_thumb.jpg

Edited by JohnQuixote

• 3 weeks later...
John,

Neil

...There are times we say “Wow, that was great!†(some are just fabulous people) while other times it’s “Ok, maybe we won’t do that again...†like the $80K piece that came back looking like it was used to beat the drums at a party. It had to be completely reworked and some stones re-polished...

Neil, I was reminded of this when I saw this diamonds.net article: http://www.diamonds.net/news/NewsItem.aspx?ArticleID=19196

According to our publicist, Harry Winston isn't the only jeweler who's been beaten up. Contracts are pretty standard now, although the "responsible party" varies. Usually it's an intermediary or specialized agent for the celeb.

In the interest of reporting the positive side, Jessica Alba was outfitted in Whiteflash goodies for the premier of "Good Luck Chuck" a short time ago (photos here) Those pieces were returned in perfect condition...and they even smelled pretty - though I could be imagining that. :)

Edited by JohnQuixote

John,

Neil

...There are times we say “Wow, that was great!†(some are just fabulous people) while other times it’s “Ok, maybe we won’t do that again...†like the $80K piece that came back looking like it was used to beat the drums at a party. It had to be completely reworked and some stones re-polished...

Neil, I was reminded of this when I saw this diamonds.net article: http://www.diamonds.net/news/NewsItem.aspx?ArticleID=19196

According to our publicist, Harry Winston isn't the only jeweler who's been beaten up. Contracts are pretty standard now, although the "responsible party" varies. Usually it's an intermediary or specialized agent for the celeb.

In the interest of reporting the positive side, Jessica Alba was outfitted in Whiteflash goodies for the premier of "Good Luck Chuck" a short time ago (photos here) Those pieces were returned in perfect condition...and they even smelled pretty - though I could be imagining that. :)

John,

Telling us that you actually "smelled" the jewelry when it came back from Jessica, could be considered "TMI" (too much information).

Thanks for sharing?? :D:)

John,

Telling us that you actually "smelled" the jewelry when it came back from Jessica, could be considered "TMI" (too much information).

All done in the line of duty... Someone had to open the package and take those pieces to be cleaned.

I was an innocent victim of "second-hand-perfume" :)

Edited by JohnQuixote

John,

All done in the line of duty... Someone had to open the package and take those pieces to be cleaned.

I was an innocent victim of "second-hand-perfume" :)

You poor poor thing....

We should all be "victimized" this way ;)