Oprtions For Bigger Hands...

Rojo

My fiance presented me with a .90 carat diamond solitaire set in a 2.5mm platinum band with a four-prong comfort-fit setting. I have large hands (palms and fingers), and I wear a size 8 ring. I've never wore rings of any kid, but something looks off to me. Is there a way to make the ring look more proportionate to my hand without getting a bigger stone? The catch is, I'm a fan of solitaires and don't really want to look for a setting with all kinds of side stones.

Edited by Rojo

<br />Do you like halo settings? Or do you consider that 'all kinds of side stones'?<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Ha. Well, I'm not a big fan of halo settings, no. I definitely prefer solitaires. I guess I'm wondering if a wider setting or something along those lines would be helpful.

I guess I'm just confused. I think part of the problem is that though we did some shopping together beforehand, I really couldn't try anything on because most every example jewlers had was smaller than a size 8, of course.

If you want to emphasize the setting some of the loveliest creations in your size, to me, have scrollwork or filigree; antique styles which have thickness and substance but look delicate because of the detail. Going the other way - to emphasize the stone - a knife edge will cut some of the thickness out of the solitaire…or a sleek line setting which tapers up to the head can make the stone look bigger.

Edited by JohnQuixote

I’m a fan of the opposite tactic. I think mountings with a fair amount of metal and ‘design’ to them tend to look good in bigger sizes and on bigger fingers and they can look overdone on small hands. Bold areas of high polish and architectural type styling does well. A 1/4ct stone on a size 11 finger looks very different than the same stone and the same design on a size 4 and scaling up the stone proportionately would be crazy expensive. If you’re like detailing and fancy work, consider a hand engraved design with areas of pave.

Neil

<br />Do you like halo settings? Or do you consider that 'all kinds of side stones'?<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Last question related to this issue (and I really do appreciate the advice!). How much do I need to go up in carat weight and/or diameter for there to be a observable visual difference in the size of the diamond once set? Thanks again!

That’s a tough question. It’s sort of like asking which raindrop is the one that makes a storm. A 0.50ct looks a lot like a 0.55, which looks a lot like a 0.60, which looks like a 0.65 etc. This can be projected forever without ever arriving at the end. The same thing applies to gradations in color. A single color grade is not visible to even the most discernable eye but they add up to something that’s very obvious. For most people this gets solved by a series of compromises that’s driven primarily by the budget. I realize that this isn’t answering your question but that’s because there really is no straight answer.

Neil

I would go for a Halo Setting.

I know you said you don't care much for them.

However, there are so many different styles within the Halo family to choose from...

I think this would most admirably accomplish your objective.

That’s a tough question. It’s sort of like asking which raindrop is the one that makes a storm. A 0.50ct looks a lot like a 0.55, which looks a lot like a 0.60, which looks like a 0.65 etc. This can be projected forever without ever arriving at the end. The same thing applies to gradations in color. A single color grade is not visible to even the most discernable eye but they add up to something that’s very obvious. For most people this gets solved by a series of compromises that’s driven primarily by the budget. I realize that this isn’t answering your question but that’s because there really is no straight answer.

Neil

I hear ya. Ok, I'll use an example. Would a person be able to observe a difference between a .90 carat stone and a 1.10 carat stone?

And thanks to all for the halo setting suggestion. I am going to look into it!

I hear ya. Ok, I'll use an example. Would a person be able to observe a difference between a .90 carat stone and a 1.10 carat stone?

And thanks to all for the halo setting suggestion. I am going to look into it!

Visually, no, It's not easy to spot a change in size of just a few tenths of a carat.. But then it also has a lot to do with the cut of the ring.. If the stone is cut shallow it will look larger from the top but may loose some fire etc..

In your case I would rather go for an antique style ring with filigre to fill out the size on your finger.. Especially if you aren't a fan of halos.. A classic antique style can be stunning..

My fiance presented me with a .90 carat diamond solitaire set in a 2.5mm platinum band with a four-prong comfort-fit setting. I have large hands (palms and fingers), and I wear a size 8 ring. I've never wore rings of any kid, but something looks off to me. Is there a way to make the ring look more proportionate to my hand without getting a bigger stone? The catch is, I'm a fan of solitaires and don't really want to look for a setting with all kinds of side stones.

Hi, I see your delimer....you would love to have the exact same simple setting as you have now but with a bigger stone. This would be the most expensive solution to your problem, unless you go for a different stone than diamond.

One solution that comes to my mind is to have your diamond bezel set within a wide band. This is a very simple look and the diamond does not stand out all alone, it becomes part of a big ring. You could alternatively add some filagree as has been suggested, and even bezel set two smaller stones on the sides within the wide band. Now if you wanted to build this ring up even more, or perhaps another ring....I love the addition of two thin eternity bands top and bottem of the main ring!!!

This is one way to make your relative smaller diamond really work for you.

As for upgrading from under 1 carat to over.....I would if I could do it as a trade in, but not if I had to sell my own ring privately. I personally think every point counts!!!! Otherwise I would go for an upgrade in 10 or 15 years and go for a much bigger size!!!!

Hi, I see your delimer....you would love to have the exact same simple setting as you have now but with a bigger stone. This would be the most expensive solution to your problem, unless you go for a different stone than diamond.

One solution that comes to my mind is to have your diamond bezel set within a wide band. This is a very simple look and the diamond does not stand out all alone, it becomes part of a big ring. You could alternatively add some filagree as has been suggested, and even bezel set two smaller stones on the sides within the wide band. Now if you wanted to build this ring up even more, or perhaps another ring....I love the addition of two thin eternity bands top and bottem of the main ring!!!

This is one way to make your relative smaller diamond really work for you.

As for upgrading from under 1 carat to over.....I would if I could do it as a trade in, but not if I had to sell my own ring privately. I personally think every point counts!!!! Otherwise I would go for an upgrade in 10 or 15 years and go for a much bigger size!!!!

You hit the nail right on the head re my little dilemma! Thanks again to everyone for the suggestions. I may just keep this engagement ring, and go for a wedding ring with channel set diamonds. I tried one last night, and it "balanced" things rather nicely.