Pricing A 10 Carat Pink Diamond

jrweinb

Hello

An associate of mine is looking to sell a 10.1 carat fancy intense orangy pink diamond, and we are trying to figure out a fair price. Does anyone have suggestions for a starting point, we have already begun reviewing auction prices. Also, does orangy pink draw a higher value than pink? We are also looking for suggestions on how to move this type of stone without going to auction.

Thanks!

Jeff

Neil

I just saw the thread on the 50 ct, thank you. I believe the issue with the auction format is a lack of experience.

Is the fancy intense orangy pink color grade more valuable than a fancy intense pink? Also, what do you think would be a good wholesale price for this stone, for a quick sale?

Thanks

Jeff

That looks like it could be a lovely stone. Have you seen it?

I would never attach a value to a stone without both inspecting the stone and researching the appropriate marketplace. I would be happy to look into that if your associate would like to contact me about it.

Their biggest issue is going to be selecting the appropriate marketplace and if they’re serious about it some assistance from a professional appraisal would be very helpful. I’m guessing that they’re not in a position to make a direct sale to a retail shopper so their choices are to sell it to a dealer or employ a broker who will consign it and sell it to a consumer (or another dealer) in exchange for a fee. The cost of this can range anywhere from 10% to half depending on the deal they make. They too will need to see the stone itself before giving you an estimate of how they would expect it to play out and what can be expected pricewise but most dealers don’t charge upfront for this information other than a bit of shipping. Comparing auction results can be a useful way to get in the neighborhood and auction is a reasonably common way for such things to change hands but it’s important to make sure you understand how the auction happened. They can be a pretty complicated dynamic and it’s not like looking up a price on a list.

No, orangy pink diamonds do not generally trade for as much as otherwise similar pink diamonds.

Neil

Edited by denverappraiser

Neil

I have not seen the diamond yet, but one of my partners has seen it and says it is very lovely. I have attached a picture. Thank you for your information, I would will refer your services if they have further trouble attaching a value.

The auction results I have looked at are erratic, I have seen pink diamonds sell from the 100k - 400k + per carat. Do you know of any reputable brokers who are capable of selling this type of stone? Thank you.

Jeff

post-113711-1188581658_thumb.jpg

I consider it a conflict of interest as an appraiser to recommend individual brokers and dealers but there are some regulars in this forum that you may consider. Fancy colored diamonds are a specialty market in their own.

Comparables for pure pinks are not going to be relevant to your situation and the range for them is much larger than that in any case. Thanks for the photo, that’s a pretty interesting rock. Keep us posted on what you learn.

Neil

Edited by denverappraiser

Hi All,

Jeff, we do sell quite a few pink diamonds. The Orangy factor will likely affect the price in a negative fashion- however the actual difference in price between a "pure" oink and an Orangy Pink has everything to do with how it looks.

The photo seems to be a very poor quality- the stone looks pale.

If that's the case, it likely won't be near a million dollar diamond. If it's a strong vibrant pink it could well go for over $2mil.

Edited by diamondsbylauren

• 2 weeks later...

A stone of that size in an intense orangy pink is very rare. Even though it has an orange modifier it's going to be very expensive and that is mostly because there aren't hardly any around out there.

I did see only a fancy browish pink in a 15 ct. that was going for well over a million.

We have a Vivid pink available in a 1.50 ct. that is running $485,000 for the ring.

post-10-1189533988_thumb.jpg

Hi Everyone!

Wow Jan, that's an incredible ring- can you show us the stone before you set it?

Here's a 1.02carat Fancy Light Orangy Pink

102flopa.JPG

In the ring

102raa.JPG

This stone has a price of about 30K- if it was a straight "Fancy Light Pink" that would likely be closer to $50k. I'm basing these prices on the fact it's an I1.

A VS Fancy Light Pink Radiant 1.00ct can likely bring $75k

Edited by diamondsbylauren

• 5 months later...
Hi Everyone!

Wow Jan, that's an incredible ring- can you show us the stone before you set it?

Here's a 1.02carat Fancy Light Orangy Pink

102flopa.JPG

In the ring

102raa.JPG

This stone has a price of about 30K- if it was a straight "Fancy Light Pink" that would likely be closer to $50k. I'm basing these prices on the fact it's an I1.

A VS Fancy Light Pink Radiant 1.00ct can likely bring $75k

hey guys im ready to buy the stone with a fair price ,if the stone still available plz call me on the 00223 5105555

rudy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Neil

I have not seen the diamond yet, but one of my partners has seen it and says it is very lovely. I have attached a picture. Thank you for your information, I would will refer your services if they have further trouble attaching a value.

The auction results I have looked at are erratic, I have seen pink diamonds sell from the 100k - 400k + per carat. Do you know of any reputable brokers who are capable of selling this type of stone? Thank you.

Jeff

post-113711-1188581658_thumb.jpg

can you tell me how much 1.02 cts fancy intense pinkish red diamond cushion shape will be?

clairty i3