Tollerance For Diamonds Not Eye Clean!!!! Opinions????

LittleSharon

Hi Guys,

I have come across a flawed beauty. This diamond seems to have an excellent cut and polish. Its 3 c. and D color (mild flouresence). It has beautiful performance and does everything a diamond should........but....it has 3 significant dots! These fresh ground pepper- like particles are not able to be hidden by claws. They are not in the table but to the side of the table. I can see them clearly in amazing sunlight but not at night. I dont know the odds that a casual observer would be able to zoom in. Also, does it matter.....I guess those dots are making the diamond within my budget.

I can also choose another diamond that is warmer in color i-j, eye clean, cut and size comparible. It looks white by itself, but yellow next to the D.

So my question is, in the real world, would a well performing diamond be detectable for the flaws that are there?

TIA, Sharon

Realistically, how many days of "amazing sunlight" do you really have over the course of the year?

Not many.

Really not a question we can answer as you need to find your comfort level.

Second guessing a diamond purchase is the worst thing you can do and if those pepper spots gnaw at you, don't buy the diamond.

Thanks, I guess there is no right or wrong answer. I was probably wondering if any one had actually owned one like this and (1) took advantage of having a diamond otherwise out of their budget or (2) grew to loath it with a passion, the dots growing every year! I guess when in doubt......but its a very sweet diamond otherwise. Im finding it hard to get any perspective, especially as its not set. Diamonds usually look better when set imo.

Realistically, how many days of "amazing sunlight" do you really have over the course of the year?

Not many.

For people who live in Colorado it's just over 300. For people who live in New York it depends on how often you come out to vacation in Colorado.

Neil

We took a 2-week summer vacation at Copper Mountain and took in the sites at Vail, Breckenridge, Dillon, et al.

Beautiful part of the country. Several cloudy days, though. Was happy that it only took us about 36 hours to get acclimated to the altitude.

We took a 2-week summer vacation at Copper Mountain and took in the sites at Vail, Breckenridge, Dillon, et al.

Beautiful part of the country. Several cloudy days, though. Was happy that it only took us about 36 hours to get acclimated to the altitude.

Years ago, back when I was young and stupid, I worked the lifts at Copper. That was the winter of '78-'79, right after the mountain opened for business. Now I'm just a tourist like everyone else but I still love the place. I'm glad you had a good time. Come back soon, but leave the clouds at home please. Bring sunscreen. Maybe bring a few of those super-ideal diamonds and see if you can interfere with air traffic on the way to Los Angeles.

Neil

Hi Guys,

I have come across a flawed beauty. This diamond seems to have an excellent cut and polish. Its 3 c. and D color (mild flouresence). It has beautiful performance and does everything a diamond should........but....it has 3 significant dots! These fresh ground pepper- like particles are not able to be hidden by claws. They are not in the table but to the side of the table. I can see them clearly in amazing sunlight but not at night. I dont know the odds that a casual observer would be able to zoom in. Also, does it matter.....I guess those dots are making the diamond within my budget.

I can also choose another diamond that is warmer in color i-j, eye clean, cut and size comparible. It looks white by itself, but yellow next to the D.

So my question is, in the real world, would a well performing diamond be detectable for the flaws that are there?

TIA, Sharon

Sharon,

Looks like it's been covered but wow - a D 3ct (round brilliant?). You know the color/size factors alone put it in a collector's class (unless it's I2 and ready to disintegrate or something) :D Clarity characteristics - and body color - are easier to see in larger sizes, so the bane of going up in size is that you also must increase the color/clarity threshold if you're a color/clarity purist. If you're not, just decide whether you're ok with D and a few off-table 'birthmarks' in the stone...or would prefer a warmer color and no birthmarks. It doesn't matter what we think, since we may say tomayto and you to-mah-to. Either way, do what makes you happy. :)