Deciding Between 2 Diamonds - Need Help!

random

Hello, I just made a deal with a local diamond wholesaler to purchase a diamond and setting. However, another local diamond wholesaler called me with another diamond immediately after. I don't want to back out of a deal but I want to know whether the latter offer is blowing former away.

Diamond I agreed to (I've seen it, I love it):

Shape: Asscher

AGS Graded

Size: 2.22

Color: H

Clarity: VS2

Table: 63.3

Depth: 68.5

Polish: Ideal

Symmetry: Very Good

Fluor.: Negligible

Price w/ roughly $1,000 platinum setting: $18,800

Other diamond (Haven't seen it but will tomorrow):

Shape: Asscher

RHD Graded

Size: 2.07

Color: G

Clarity: VS1

Table: 57.?

Depth: 64.?

Polish: Good

Symmetry: Good

Fluor.: None

Price w/ roughly $1,000 platinum setting: $17,900

As I look online, both seem like good deals. But I am a complete novice. Help!

Asschers come in various facet configurations so it's impossible to advise based on just 'numbers'.

Since you have the luxury of seeing both diamonds, trust your eyes and go with the stone that appeals to you most.

Ditto to my Dad (Barry) and Moshe above...

Look at each stone and go with the one you like.

The eyes have it..

Best oF luck!

Not sure my eyes can tell the difference. I think I liked the first one better but that might be because I like the saleswoman better. Without putting them side by side, I don't know how I can really make a call. Even then, I probably couldn't tell. Today I compared two asschers, one an F vs. G and with better polish and symmetry and I couldn't really tell a difference.

Not sure my eyes can tell the difference. I think I liked the first one better but that might be because I like the saleswoman better.

My fiance teases me for making clothes-buying decisions based on that.

Without putting them side by side, I don't know how I can really make a call. Even then, I probably couldn't tell. Today I compared two asschers, one an F vs. G and with better polish and symmetry and I couldn't really tell a difference.

Be sure to see them in several different lighting conditions, not just under jewelry store spotlighting. They may have an office with fluorescent lighting (terrible for fire but great for judging color, clarity and brightness), and you should try to view them in indirect lighting - no lighting from above just reflected from the wells - as well. Wear a neutral colored top - I like white or grey - and if they are in different locations try to see them within a short time of each other. Hopefully the seller will provide you with a guaranteed return period so you can compare them side by side - or have your choice independently appraised, if you're so-inclined.

Edited by JohnQuixote