Reasons Why Not To Build A Ring?

boy22

I’m not all that familiar with the Tiffany website and for details about what they mean in their tutorial I would suggest you ask them. By and large, buying the diamond separately from the ring makes a lot of sense although it’s a good idea to buy them from the same supplier if possible. The big downside that I can see is that not all stones will work well with all mountings either for artistic or engineering reasons and this decision isn’t always being made in a careful way or by people who know what they’re doing. The result can be kludged together looking things if it’s not done carefully and in the extreme this can be a disaster. They’re correct that simply choosing something at Tiffany’s can avoid this although this is not the only, and definitely not the least expensive approach.

Neil

On the Tiffany's website they advise against the practice of "building engagement rings" Of course this is to their advantage... but is there any merit in this claim? Are there disadvantages to 'building engagement rings"?

Can you add a link to find this advise from Tiffany's website.

On the Tiffany's website they advise against the practice of "building engagement rings" Of course this is to their advantage... but is there any merit in this claim? Are there disadvantages to 'building engagement rings"?

Can you add a link to find this advise from Tiffany's website.

http://www.tiffany.ca/Expertise/diamond/setting/default.aspx?

Neil,

BINGO!

My thoughts exactly.

This piece of "advice" from Tiffany, loosely translated, goes something like this:

"We understand that there are savvy consumers on the Internet that will do the research and figure out that they do not have to subscribe to our hard sell approach of "YOU MUST TAKE OUT A MORTAGE AND PURCHASE OUR DIAMONDS IN ORDER TO GET YOUR HANDS ON OUR RINGS, CUZ WE DON'T SELL THEM INDIVIDUALLY". We realize that these consumers will often opt for the customized approach the Internet will afford, in enabling them to build their dream engagement ring from the ground up. This may often dictate that they buy the loose diamond from one source and the perfect engagement ring from another; both of these companies being honored to earn the customers business in any capacity.

We further recognize that a "build your ring feature" empowers consumers to select/build the completed ring from the same company, after personally selecting ALL of the variables and criterion for both the loose diamond and e-ring on their own and not based upon a pre-determined set of specifications on the part of the seller, who has already put together the diamond ring."

"At Tiffany, we reject such consumer empowerment and encourage you to only purchase your previously completed diamond engagement ring from one of our flagship stores"!!

*No, we are not a mortage lender.*

How's that!! :unsure:;):D;)

As far as what in my opinion is the secondary illusion, where Tiffany alludes to the idea that "only they know how to properly finish and complete an engagement ring" without somehow butchering the prongs etc.....gimmee a break!

I should not even dignify this unfortunate snippet...

However, suffice to say, there are many jewelers besides for the people Tiffany outsources to, who have the expertise and capability to properly set a diamond in an engagement ring, without doing all sorts of "harm to the prongs" etc...

Edited by DiamondMaven