Your Diamond Buying Experience Can Teach Others How To Choose Jeweller

diamondjewonlin

Hello there! I am studying in University of East Anglia, United kingdom, I need help to search for key success factors of diamond jewellery shopping online..

If you please spare your time on this questionnaire(press the link downward, it would help on this finding a lot.

Questionnaire "Key success factors influencing on-line Retailing in the Diamond Jewellery Industry"

or http://www.my3q.com/home2/167/jewelryonline/81634.phtml

You are invited to participate in this research study of online diamond jewellery shopping. The study will investigate the key success factors by the use of online methods in shopping for diamond jewellery, collecting and indicating consumer perspectives on the diamond jewellery retail business.

All responses will be treated in the strictest confidence, any information provided being used for the sole purpose in carrying out this MSc Business Management project. No information will be passed on to any third party. The questionnaire should take you about ten minutes to complete.

Thank you in advance for your help.

For further information please contact S.Pipatveeravat@uea.ac.uk

Hi Supasinee,

What class is this for?

I must say, I’m not impressed with your questionnaire. For starters, you really should find someone to edit your English. I understand that it’s probably not your native language and that your English is far better than my Thai but you should find someone at the university to help write the questions more clearly if you're going to submit this to a class.

I would also suggest you consider what it is that you are trying to learn from this poll and design your questions accordingly.

For example:

Statement 14. Waiting for a webpage to download is annoying.

Of course it’s annoying. Who would disagree with this? The trick is balancing useful or at least entertaining content against that wait. Depending on how the shopper connects to the Internet, the wait can be wildly different for different users, even for the same page. What do you learn about “Key success factors influencing on-line Retailing in the Diamond Jewellry industry†from readers various levels of agreement to this?

Statement 15. Viewing larger photo, 360 degree surrounding perspective of diamond jewellery and seeing it on a real moving model, help me get a better idea of how diamond jewellery suits on me.

Again, what do you learn from this? Obviously 3d views on real models would be a cool trick but this doesn’t stand in isolation. It requires bandwith to display so this is related to the above question about slow page loading. It involves higher production costs, for example hiring a real model to wear it and a real photographer to photograph her. This may be a good idea and I suspect everyone would find it interesting but by itself, this question answers nothing.

I’m pretty supportive of college projects in general and hopefully this has been helpful rather than simply annoying. My vote is that you redesign the poll from the start.

Neil

Dear Neil

Firstly I'd like to say thank you very much for attention to my study.

Secondly, sorry about my language but a British professor in the UK University did proof read my questionnaire though he's teaching engineer! I did try my best before launch it, my supervisor also proof read for me.

It might be because I did not state my research questions in my questionnaire, I‘ve grouped questions follow the research questions. This grouping is done internally and is differ from sections shown in questionnaire.

I am studying why a product like diamond jewellery can be sold successfully on the internet. My research questions are separated into technology, trust and business model of the online retailer which I determined keys success of the online diamond jewelry business. If you don’t mind and please to help me check the questionnaire with research questions, I will be grateful with that. Please email me your email address and I’ ll send file to you.

On the 14th Statement, waiting for a webpage to download is annoying.

This will answer a research question under Technology perspective “Does broadband enhance provision of product information for online diamond jewellery shopping?â€. I did not mention broadband in the statement, instead the characteristic of it, which is ‘no need to wait downloading photo or page’.

Actually this statement is checking that the statement earlier 13th “I enjoy the rapid viewing of a varied selection of diamond jewellery when shopping online.†There are opinion that strongly disagree/disagree/neutral to this statement, 46%. This means, they don’t mind if they can view jewellery not so quick, or broadband doesn’t enhance provision of product information for them.

And more than a quarter of sampling, up to the moment, strongly disagree/disagree/neutral to the 14th statement that means those people do not mind waiting for page to download. Therefore, for those who disagree to both statements do not think that broadband is important for buying diamond jewellery.

Continue on statement 15. Viewing larger photo, 360 degree surrounding perspective of diamond jewellery and seeing it on a real moving model, help me get a better idea of how diamond jewellery suits on me.

Answer research question “Can 3D, Flash and enlarge photo of product representation technologies substitute customer touching and trying product?†under technology perspective again.

To defend your idea of production cost that would be higher, I guess, this is also not technology aspect it is also trust aspect of professional presentation and offer best experience to customer. If it’s the things that improve customers’ experience, why don’t retailers which want to be successful go for it? This is not about consumer will have broadband or not but it is about should retailer invest on these technologies or not.

However, thank you very much. Tell you frankly, I am having fun of defending and also hoping that you and others can help me more! This really made me want to study further on this topic.

I knew that you are professional in diamond product so much that you get GIA/AGS qualification, thing I want to tell you is please interest more in customer’s wants and needs, you are in marketing myopia. Marketer or who's in any business should know "marketing myopia" This might widen your knowledge more on diamond jewellery business.

Diamonds are a nearly perfect Internet product. They’re small and easy to ship, they aren’t perishable or even particular fragile, they’re expensive in relation to shipping costs, they don’t go obsolete very quickly, they’re relatively easy to describe to the satisfaction of the majority of customers, they’re generally perceived as being overpriced in the stores for not very good reasons, and the traditional retailers are seen as not very helpful.

If you’re looking to decide what makes the online diamond business click and consequently what would make it click better, perhaps a question to consider is why haven’t jewelers gone the way of travel agents and music stores. 90%+ of diamond jewelry purchases are still done in traditional stores and the majority of that is in specialty jewelry shops despite the fact that almost all serious customers are aware that there are Internet based alternatives that are less expensive. Why?

I have some theories but this issue seems key to any project like this and it’s your theory, not mine that is what should be driving the study. Since your premise has to do with determining what would be helpful for the online guys to market better, take a look at some of the existing sites and, in particular, what they seem to be doing the same and what they do differently.

I think you’ll find that the technology that’s driving the competitive edge of the business isn’t what you’re thinking of. Flash is nowhere to be seen. I can't think of a single site that uses live models although it's kind of an interesting idea. The backoffice logistics for the internet dealers (and traditional jewelers as well) can be quite severe. Speed and accuracy of delivery are big deals. Even a medium sized jewelry store has tens of thousands of sku's to track, most of which are unique items. At the big internet sites this gets in the neighborhood of a hundred thousand individual items available for sale at any one time. There are often 3rd and even 4th party suppliers involved so the flow of data often doesn’t match the flow of the stones and this is frequently a source of problems.Properly managing the relationships with the suppliers and customers is remarkably complicated. Accurate tracking of shipments and returns and proper logging and security is essential to avoid problems with consumer faud. Look at some of the big sites like bluenile.com, abazias.com, superbcert.com, whiteflash.com, novori.com, jamesallen.com and you’ll notice they consume very little of the high bandwidth and obviously high tech type things but some significant effort has gone into their graphics, educational content and photography. Some have full time employees participating in these forums while others have no presence here at all. Keeping the data stream current, accurate and useful is a major chore for the ones that want to rise above the crowd. Most devote far more effort and money to advertising than to web design and at least one has a multi-million dollar budgets for this.

If you were to ask people what they wanted in an Internet diamond dealer you would get a choir of ‘cheap prices’, but customer behavior doesn’t really support this. BlueNile is the biggest by a considerable margin and they don’t even pretend to be the least expensive. Just like in the brick and mortar stores, trustworthiness trumps all. Is BN perceived as more trustworthy than their competitors and, if so, why?

Whether I’m myopic or not is, of course, up to you to decide and feel free to ignore any or all of my comments. I certainly am open to learning new things. As you point out, I do have a few credentials in this area including a degree in business from a reasonably well-regarded university, decades of experience in both successful and failed jewelry ventures and experience with the Internet since before the world wide web.

Neil

Edited by denverappraiser

Here's an edited version of your opening page. To do the questions themselves, talk to someone in the English department or even a fellow student who is studying English literature or some similar topic.

Neil

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You are invited to participate in a research study about online diamond jewellery shopping.

The study is designed to investigate the key success factors in shopping online for diamond jewellery by collecting consumer perspectives about their shopping experiences and preferences.

All responses will be treated in the strictest confidence and no personally identifiable information is collected. Any information provided will be used for the sole purpose in carrying out this MSc Business Management project. The questionnaire should take you about ten minutes to complete.

Thank you in advance for your help.

:P I have submitted in your questionaire on the contrary to Nial, I do think this project is very interesting. Well done, Keep it up.

Hi Chainstore. Welcome.

Who said it wasn't interesting?

I criticized the grammar and questioned the research methodology, complete with specific examples. I didn't even call it wrong because I don't know the fundamental questions being studied. What have I said that you diagree with?

Neil

:unsure: I have submitted in your questionaire on the contrary to Nial, I do think this project is very interesting. Well done, Keep it up.

Hi Chainstore. Welcome.

Who said it wasn't interesting?

I criticized the grammar and questioned the research methodology, complete with specific examples. I didn't even call it wrong because I don't know the fundamental questions being studied. What have I said that you diagree with?

Neil

this could not be really that reliable it would be better to choose sites of a well knowndiamond company rather than those which only tries to be one....

Ice,

That’s the holy grail that marketers are looking for. How to become ‘well known’.

The first step is, after all, that you must try to be. Maybe Supasinee’s class will help her to shed some light on the next step. I wish her all the best. Education is good.

Neil