Cutting My Diamond In Half

shadow12345

Hi,

I have gone ahead and bought a ring, it has a 0.63 Round Brilliant E diamond with table 58%, med girdle, 43.5% pav depth and 16% crown height and vg finish (HRD). It has a pointed cutlet. It is beautiful thing set in delicate platinum...I want to cut it in half!!

MY girlfriend is a medical doctor, and I really want her to wear the ring all day, but I think (even though it is set as low as the jeweller could) it may be a little stickey out-ey for when she is dealing with patients. It is in, what I think is called, a Tiffany setting.

I wondered if it would be possible to cut a tiny bit, like 1pt of the bottom of it and embed that in another ring for everyday use. I know diamonds are kind of indistructible, but can this be done? Also would it screw up the diamond that is already there (I guess it would alter its proportions...)?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,

Anthony

Oh, also, if it is possible/adviseable what do you think the cost of the work would be (I am in the UK, but I guess costs are more or less the same everywhere)?

I guess the other options open - if she thinks it sticks out too much - are:

1) Buy a smaller rock (but I would like to give her something she is proud of, I know that sounds silly...)

2) Get it reset in a different way (she has hinted the Tiffany setting with a Solitaire is what she wanted, but maybe something a bit flatter would be better)

3) Go ahead with my other plan but buy a different tiny diamond and pop it in a new ring, I think I would maybe even go for it on the inside of the ring, otherwise get one that is flush to the surface (getting a different rock seems less romantic??)

Cheers,

Ant

Hi Ant,

The idea of cutting your diamond in half gave me heart palpitations. :)

I definitely would not recommmend cutting your diamond in half or lopping off the bottom or anything of the sort, the end result will likely be far less desirable than your current situation.

The real issue is the setting itself. Most classic Tiffany style settings, even when set low, are designed such that the head (the part of the ring that holds the diamond) sit a bit above the shank (the part of the ring that goes around the finger). This isn't very conducive to wearing gloves.

Your best bet is simply to find a setting that is lower in profile. Four prong basket style settings might be worth looking at, as opposed to a 4 or 6 prong tulip style head. Bezel settings are also very low profile, but the shanks of bezel settings tend to be a bit wider.

Have your fiancee go try some settings on and make sure she takes some gloves with her so she can see and feel how easy or difficult other setting styles are to wear with gloves.

All the best.

If you want her to wear the ring all day, then get her a bezel or semi-bezel type mounting. Problem solved :)

If you don't know what I'm talking about, bezel set means the diamond is surrounded by metal and held at the girdle. Semi-bezel means the same thing, except there are cut-outs and the bezel does not go all the way around the stone.

A lot of medical professionals have problems with this. Not the least of which is that high profile type jewelry tends to tear up those plastic gloves that medical and dental people put on and off a hundred times per day. I agree with the above, consider a different mounting. There are designs with no prongs and where the stone will only stick a few millimeters above the finger. The only real limit is the depth of the stone which is probably only a little over 3mm. Look around the net for designs or talk with your jeweler about the problem.

Neil

Hi Ant,

The idea of cutting your diamond in half gave me heart palpitations. :blink:

I definitely would not recommmend cutting your diamond in half or lopping off the bottom or anything of the sort, the end result will likely be far less desirable than your current situation.

I had the same reaction Megan did.

We've sold rings to artists, performers and med pros for whom a high-set diamond at work is just not practical. If you investigate other settings and it's still not working a plain band to accompany the ring may be an option. They can be worn together away from work; whenever the diamond ring is removed the plain band remains. This is also practical for vacations, sports, visits to the beach, etc. It may not be the solution that suits you best but some people find that it addresses the issue.