Need Help Making A Decision!

naderg

Hello all,

I'm about to pop the question and I'm searching online for diamonds from Bluenile (the Canadian version, anyways). I've narrowed my search down to a couple of diamonds and would like to get some opinions as to which is best. This is something that I'd like to have my (future) wife pass down to our (future) children.

Thanks!

1. Asscher cut for $5413CDN (approx. $5142US)

Carat Weight:0.76

Cut:Very Good

Color:D

Clarity:IF

Depth %:62.3%

Table %:70%

Symmetry:Very Good

Polish:Very Good

Girdle:Medium

Culet:None

Fluorescence:None

Measurements:5.28 x 5.28 x 3.29 mm

Length/Width ratio:1.00

2. Asscher cut for $4934CDN (approx. $4688US)

Carat Weight:0.90

Clarity:VVS1

Depth %:69.9%

Table %:59%

Polish:Excellent

Girdle:Thick to very thick

Fluorescence:Medium

Measurements:5.36 x 5.34 x 3.73 mm

Length/Width ratio:1.00

3. Princess cut at $5513CDN (approx. $5237US)

Carat Weight:0.72

Cut:Signature Ideal

Clarity:VVS1

Depth %:67.6%

Table %:70%

Symmetry:Very good

Polish:Excellent

Girdle:Medium to slightly thick

Fluorescence:Medium blue

Measurements:5.19 x 4.97 x 3.36 mm

Length/Width ratio:1.04

4. Asscher cut at $4209CDN (approx. $3998US)

Carat Weight:0.73

Color:E

Clarity:IF

Depth %:62.4%

Table %:65%

Polish:Very Good

Girdle:Medium to slightly thick

Fluorescence:None

Measurements:5.40 x 5.32 x 3.32 mm

Length/Width ratio:1.02

As with all of Bluenile's diamonds, they are all GIA certified. Please let me know if I'm missing anything here, I want to have you experts make the best judgment! I'm just worried of getting a diamond without any "pop", or value for the future.

Thanks again!

Nader

Hi Nader,

Have you considered a vendor who can actually see the diamonds to provide you pictures and/or a side by side comparison? I think having all the information possible to make an informed and confident decision is pretty important for such a significant purchase and will save you the trouble or at least limit the possibility of having to return the diamond because it doesn't meet your expectations when you receive it.

Sorry! No pictures are available.

So, which of these four would represent the best in value? The best overall?

Thanks!

Nader

The best value? This is impossible to say without physical inspection. just because someone grades it a "G" or an "H" does not make it so. think about it --- grading is subjective, it's done by a human. Even the best of the best labs will error from time to time. If they grade 1000 SI1/G asscher cut diamonds do you think all of them will have identical color and clarity? There are borderline SI1/SI2 or G/H color diamonds out there... one day the lab may call it SI1, the other day it's a SI2. Don't you think if you pick the cheapest out of those 1000 SI1/G graded diamonds you'll get the one that's most likely to be closer to a SI2/H? Where is the value in that?

Then there's cut, cut on a fancy shape can not be determined accurately from a grading report. It's like trying to appraise a house based on the building specs and what the tax asessor has on file, it's just not possible. The best way to see which fancy shape looks best is to compare 2 side by side, and if you can't do that you need to rely on someone who has seen thousands of diamonds and knows what to expect in a well cut diamond.