Opinions On This Diamond

JGomes

Hey all - long time lurker who has learned a ton from this forum (so thanks!)

I'm finally starting to look around to buy a diamond for a solitaire engagement ring. I found the following round diamond that I liked the sound of:

Carat: 1.4

Color: G

Cut: AGS Ideal

Polish: Ideal

Clarity: VS2

Table: 53.8%

Crown Angle: 35.2

Crown Height: 16.3%

Depth: 62.2%

Pavillion Depth: 42.9%

Pavillion Angle: 40.7

Measures: 7.22-7.20x4.47mm

Girdle: M-Stk Faceted 1.3%-3.6%

Cost around 9K (which is the top end of the budget). Any advice is welcome!!

Is it accompanied by the new AGS DQD with a 0 in light performance? The numbers are nice. It's a subtly different flavor than many of the common near-Tolk makes we see with 56-57% tables. The smaller table combined with the 35.2 CA makes for a pretty high crown, so there will likely be a lot of fire in its performance (do you know lower half length?). Even so, nothing decisive can be determined with numbers alone. Have you seen this diamond, and have you seen diamonds like this before? If buying sight-unseen do you have any photos or light performance indicators (the new AGS DQD would be a good one) and does the seller have it in-hand? It's rare to see very well-cut diamonds just below commercially important weights (1.5 for example). If its performance matches its pedigree this could be a nice find.

Edited by JohnQuixote

Is it accompanied by the new AGS DQD with a 0 in light performance? The numbers are nice. It's a subtly different flavor than many of the common near-Tolk makes we see with 56-57% tables. The smaller table combined with the 35.2 CA makes for a pretty high crown, so there will likely be a lot of fire in its performance (do you know lower half length?). Even so, nothing decisive can be determined with numbers alone. Have you seen this diamond, and have you seen diamonds like this before? If buying sight-unseen do you have any photos or light performance indicators (the new AGS DQD would be a good one) and does the seller have it in-hand? It's rare to see very well-cut diamonds just below commercially important weights (1.5 for example). If its performance matches its pedigree this could be a nice find.

Thanks John, all good questions. Yes it is accompanied by an AGS DQD from last year and has a 0 in light performance. I haven't seen it as it's an online seller. I'll see if I can get a picture. Good point on being just below a commercially important weight. Could it be that they sacrificed carat in order to have a better cut? I don't know the lower half length (other than that the pavillion is 42.9% at 40.7 degrees. I'm not sure I need 1.4 carats (my gf has small hands so might be too big for her) but I'm intrigued by this diamond.

JG

I'm not sure I need 1.4 carats (my gf has small hands so might be too big for her) but I'm intrigued by this diamond.

JG

You always have to keep in mind that many women get "diamond shrinkage" over time. What looks too big now often ends up looking too small a few years from now. Haha!

It looks like that could be a very nice diamond at an excellent value. A 1.5ct stone would be considerably more per carat. So, with the 1.4 ct you are getting the look of a 1.5 ct stone at a much better price. Those stones of that cut quality are not easy to come by.

All the best with your upcoming engagement.

Thanks John, all good questions. Yes it is accompanied by an AGS DQD from last year and has a 0 in light performance. I haven't seen it as it's an online seller. I'll see if I can get a picture. Good point on being just below a commercially important weight. Could it be that they sacrificed carat in order to have a better cut? I don't know the lower half length (other than that the pavillion is 42.9% at 40.7 degrees. I'm not sure I need 1.4 carats (my gf has small hands so might be too big for her) but I'm intrigued by this diamond.

JG

It all depends on the shape of the rough & how it was planned. Today's manufacturers are pretty smart and diamonds typically come out as-planned - within a percent or two - so it sounds like the cutting was done well by design. Those numbers are great and the 0 light performance is a significant pedigree. If you're working with an online seller be sure they actually have the diamond in hand; if so a photo should be no problem. It would be nice to see both a magnified view and a reflector photo (ideal-scope or ASET - if they do this kind of photography) which not only demonstrates light performance but shows several other aspects, including lower half length - I expect it will be in the 'sweet spot' but it's always nice to verify. It sounds like a great find.

Edited by JohnQuixote