25 Carat Rough Diamond

RajanR

Dear all,

On this moment I'm on a business trip in Holland, so for me arises the opportunity to visit Belgium (especially Antwerp) in the next week. Before I will travel to Antwerp I want to gather some information about diamonds. That's why I will contact some diamond shops about a certain question. A family member of me has inherited a rough diamond, so he's trying to sort out what's the best way to sell it. We are trying to collect information about the indication of the price he can get for it. The stone is with Kimberly certificate and country license. The specifcations of this rough diamond are: Weight: 25 caratColor: F-GClarity: vs1 The stone is rectangular and has nice shape to cut, as I heard from a diamond expert. Altough I heard it's hard to judge a stone without seeing it, I hope you people can give me an indication of the price he can receive for it. I will send this mail to 10 experts in Antwerp and I hope to get as much prices as possible, so my cousin can travel from Africa to sell the stone.

As said earlier, I just want an indication, because I know it's very har to judge withoutseeing it!!!

Rajan

Very hard does not accurately describe what you’re asking. Impossible is a better word. Prices will range from under $100/carat to many thousands depending on details that you’ve not included.

How to sell it? Show it, in person, to cutters who may be able to fashion it into something that they can resell. Start with the ‘expert’ who told you that it’s a nice shape to cut. It will probably be helpful to get a broker involved who is connected into the industry and have them show it around. Cold calling while on vacation in Antwerp without the stone to show is unlikely to get much useful information but it might be sort of fun if you like this kind of thing and it might be helpful in locating a broker who fits your style. Let us know how it goes.

Neil

Sounds like a great opportunity. As you've heard, a rough planner will have to see it to make an offer. Be sure to get an estimate/offer from more than one person. Make firm appointments with interested parties ahead of time. If you will be carrying it to & from meetings don't provide potential buyers with local contact info beyond your mobile number and email. If staying in a hotel arrange for space in their vault or get a safety deposit box somewhere. Don't store the provenance information with the rough, keep it with you. As I'm reminded many times in this biz - better safe than sorry. Good luck.

Sounds like a great opportunity. As you've heard, a rough planner will have to see it to make an offer. Be sure to get an estimate/offer from more than one person. Make firm appointments with interested parties ahead of time. If you will be carrying it to & from meetings don't provide potential buyers with local contact info beyond your mobile number and email. If staying in a hotel arrange for space in their vault or get a safety deposit box somewhere. Don't store the provenance information with the rough, keep it with you. As I'm reminded many times in this biz - better safe than sorry. Good luck.

Dear John X,

I'm (will be) aware of every aspect/detail on this market, anyway thanks for the advice...