Getting A Engagment Ring Soon!!!

Jeremy Thomas

Hello,

my name is Jeremy Thomas. I live in the northern Atlanta area. I would like to first say that I am so glad to have found this message board. I have been reading and learning a lot. This site / forum have helped greatly. I hope someone will be able to chime in and help me with my problem. Here is a bit of background information.

1. I am planning on asking my girlfriend to marry me this October

2. I have 2 diamond rings that were passed down to me from my great grandmother.

3. The rings have not been appraised.

4. The diamonds in the rings do not have any certifications.

I would like to use some or all of the diamonds to make a new engagement ring. I would like to get the rings appraised and the diamonds certified first. I want to do this so I know what I am working with. I am not sure what the settings are made out of, but considering their age I assume platinum. I would like if possible to make a new setting from the old, or use the settings themselves as payment towards a new setting. Where should I take these rings to get them appraised / certified, and where should I go to get the new ring made? I did a search on the find a jeweler app on this site for an appraiser and it suggested A. Rixom and Company. I believe these people are also Union Diamond the online re-seller. Can anyone tell me if this company is good to work with?

Thank you all in advance for any help/advice/suggestions.

Jeremy Thomas

Here's a well regarded appraiser in Atlanta. They can help you out in understand what you have as well as with documenting the final product when the jeweler is done.

Gemcorp Appraisers

5064 Roswell Rd

Atlanta, GA 30342

P:404-851-9489

Tell 'em I sent you. It won't get you anything beyond a free cup of coffee but everyone likes to know where their referrals are coming from and it might get ME a free cup of coffee at the next NAJA convention.

Neil

You definitely have to get this appraised by an INDEPENDENT APPRAISER asap so that you know exactly what you have.

Depending on the color/clarity and the cut quality of the diamonds, you may want to get them graded by a reputable lab like GIA or AGS.

As far as Vendors are concerned, there are reputable B&M and Internet Vendors out there. Do your homework.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the info that you guys have provided. I made an appointment with Gemcorp for tomorrow morning. They will give me an appraisal and grading report on the diamonds. If I then choose to get them certified they will take care of that as well. Thanks agian. If anyone has any jewelers they can recommend that would be great.

Jeremy

Edited by Jeremy Thomas

Thanks for the info that you guys have provided. I made an appointment with Gemcorp for tomorrow morning. They will give me an appraisal and grading report on the diamonds. If I then choose to get them certified they will take care of that as well. Thanks agian. If anyone has any jewelers they can recommend that would be great.

Jeremy

If I may make a suggestion --- only use one of the rings, since you have 2 why dismantle both? Keep one as a family heirloom and the other for your new fiance. Get them both appraised and make your decision from there. Or keep both even if you can, the mountings themselves are not going to be worth much more then likely, so maybe put a gemstone in there instead once you yank out the center rock for your new ring.

Kind Regards,

Yosef