Opinions Pls

ajb

Hello, i've been searching for a diamond for some time and i am now prepared to make the purchase. The diamond in question is a 1.52ct round diamond with certificate, SI2 color FG. the cut is rated ideal and all other aspects are rated excellent. The offering price including 18k gold setting is 12500$ canadian dollars. I've been told that at that price and a diamond with those specs this is a steal. What do you think?

thanks.

Edited by ajb

I think "steal"is an applicable word- but not in the way you might expect.

From the description you've been given, it's clear there's no GIA report. GIA does not use split grades such as "FG".

Yet, the seller is trying to make you believe the diamond is "Certified"- thereby "stealing" GIA's reputation and good name.

Even GIA does not "certify' diamonds- rather they examine them, and issue a report with their opinion of the measurements, color and clarity.

AS far as the fact they are telling you the cut is "rated ideal".....it's like a used car salesman telling you "It's a creampuff". All it means it that a seller is willing to use deceptive terminology.

Here in the US, a well priced 1.52 G/Si2, which is well cut, and carries a GIA report is about $10k US

In my opinion whoever is telling you it's a steal is off base.

More info will get you more input. David brought up key points.

Can you provide any more info and what the selling circumstances are (is this a dealer, friend, pawn shop, flea market, anonymous email from someone wanting your bank account # ...?). :wacko:

Edited by JohnQuixote

Things in Canada tend to cost a bit more than similar things in the USA thanks to the Canadian tax structure so it’s a slightly more difficult issue than a simple currency conversion but I suspect you’re familiar with that part of the puzzle. As David points out, the more difficult issue is first in deciding what exactly is it that is being offered before you can decide if it’s a good deal. There’s simply not enough information provided to give an answer to that. If you can, post us a scan of this document and we may be able to give a bit more of a clue but for reasons that David has pointed out, it doesn't look promising so far.

Neil

Based on the information you've provided, Run-don't walk.

Split color and clarity grades are a Red Flag.

The top lab grading labs in the world GIA and AGS do not use split grading.

Caveat Emptor.

• 3 weeks later...

Agreed with all the above. Never mind the split grading, A stone of this type needs an AGS or GIA certificate. The reason is simple: These two labs set the world standard for gem grading. GIA in a very large way DETERMINES what G color is. Or what VVS2 is, etc.

So don’t waste your time with anyone who offers anything less. It’s the only way of knowing that what is being represented is what you are actually buying.