Emerald Cut Diamond Help And Advice

mcilfone

After a few weeks of trolling the forum and finding many helpful postings by many of you I have decided to jump in and look for some help. I have been looking at diamonds for a few months, but pretty seriously over the last month. Obviously the majority of my search has been done online just getting information on the 4 C's and any other information that is out there that I should be aware of. I have stopped into a B&M store just to begin my "visual" experience of looking at diamonds, needless to say this self-promoted high end store only had one emerald cut diamond to look at, so I have a little more leg work to do. Enough of my rambling, here is the breakdown of what I am looking for. I think I have each of the criteria narrowed down to where I can get the best value while still getting a great looking stone.

Emerald Cut

Size: 1.2-1.3

Color: F-G (leaning towards just the G to keep cost down a bit)

Clarity: VVS1-VS2 (again probably leaning towards VS1-VS2)

L/W: 1.25-1.7

Cut: I have seen now that this is mainly a made up phrase to make the stone look more "marketable". Please advise.

Table: 60-65

Depth: 60-55

On both of these is my range too narrow? If so in which direction and by how much can I widen my search?

Fluorescence: None

Okay that was my makeshift wishlist. As far as online searches go I have found probably 20-30 stones that fit within this criteria that range from about 5k up to 6.5k. Is there anything else I should be looking for? Are my parameters too strict? Can I get away with sacrficing one parameter? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

After a few weeks of trolling the forum and finding many helpful postings by many of you I have decided to jump in and look for some help. I have been looking at diamonds for a few months, but pretty seriously over the last month. Obviously the majority of my search has been done online just getting information on the 4 C's and any other information that is out there that I should be aware of. I have stopped into a B&M store just to begin my "visual" experience of looking at diamonds, needless to say this self-promoted high end store only had one emerald cut diamond to look at, so I have a little more leg work to do. Enough of my rambling, here is the breakdown of what I am looking for. I think I have each of the criteria narrowed down to where I can get the best value while still getting a great looking stone.

Emerald Cut

Cut: I have seen now that this is mainly a made up phrase to make the stone look more "marketable". Please advise.

On both of these is my range too narrow? If so in which direction and by how much can I widen my search?

Okay that was my makeshift wishlist. As far as online searches go I have found probably 20-30 stones that fit within this criteria that range from about 5k up to 6.5k. Is there anything else I should be looking for? Are my parameters too strict? Can I get away with sacrficing one parameter? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Hi Mcilfone, I don't want to discourage you, but you've actually chosen what in my view is one of the most difficult cuts in diamonds to evaluate. Unlike round stones where you could more or less guesstimate visually what the stone will look like by plugging in the numbers and looking at the cut grade, Emeralds, because they are stepped ,are another story completely.Since every step has its own angle ,it's not enough to know the total depth and table size. With Emeralds you can have two stones with exactly the same crown measurements and identical total depths and they can look TOTALLY different. So, what's the solution? Only your eyes can be the judge. Especially with Emerald cuts,please don't buy sight unseen.Good Luck.

Emerald Cut

Hi Mcilfone, I don't want to discourage you, but you've actually chosen what in my view is one of the most difficult cuts in diamonds to evaluate. Unlike round stones where you could more or less guesstimate visually what the stone will look like by plugging in the numbers and looking at the cut grade, Emeralds, because they are stepped ,are another story completely.Since every step has its own angle ,it's not enough to know the total depth and table size. With Emeralds you can have two stones with exactly the same crown measurements and identical total depths and they can look TOTALLY different. So, what's the solution? Only your eyes can be the judge. Especially with Emerald cuts,please don't buy sight unseen.Good Luck.

Yeah, unfortunately she chose it, I'm just trying to find the best one! Any advice on what to look for when I see these stones in person? Apart from the table, depth and geometry how do those parameters I have suggested fit together in an emerald cut?

HI mcilfone!

I owould say that it's very easy to "Over complicate" things like this.

When sellers don;t have diamonds, only lists, it's essential that they convince people that buying diamonds involves analyzing tons of numbers.

Balderdash- especially with Emerald Cut Diamonds.

For example- somewhere you learned that you should go for a ratio between 1.25:1 ,and 1.7:1.

Draw out 1.7:1 and the result is very "tall"- sure some people like a "long legged" emerald cut, but some people really like them closer to square- say 1.15:1.

Here's a diamond that measures 1.48:1

149r1952a.JPG

Now here's a 1.19:1

302a.JPG

We'd have to eliminate the second one using the parameters you were given for LxW dimensions.

As far as the "restrictions" on table and depth- total and complete BS

You really need to use your eyes.

One of the most influential aspects of an emerald cut's shape is the corners.

It's quite true that few stores carry a large selection- but there are places online that will show you actual photos.