Finally!

KevinS

Hello everyone...

First off, a big thank you to the site Admin for this valuable resource...

Now, my question.

I am looking to buy a loose diamond from a local dealer, as well as a seperate setting.

Parameters:

Round Brilliant, Not enhanced

Carat Wt: .90-.95

Color: F-H

Clarity: VS1 - SI1

Cut: Premium - Ideal

med. girdle, no culet

GIA cert.

white gold or platinum setting (either solitaire or a .2ct +/- on each side)

Im looking to spend at most $4200 for setting/diamond and labor

Is this reasonable, and about how much should the diamond be?

I know the parameters are quite vague, but any help would be much appreciated

Thanks again,

Kevin

If you're shopping GIA or AGS lab reports in Ideal, Excellent, or Very Good Cut quality with a well made setting you're under budgeting by approx 1K.

I'll let barry suggest the diamond but I'd strongly advise against white gold, get yourself platinum or palladium, palladium is about the same price as 18k white gold but much better in my opinion, especially for a ring wore daily.

Edited by Adylon

Thank you Moshe

I have a relatively good grasp(I think!) on this sorcerer's science of diamonds, but it really helps having the professionals around!

Also, the response time is amazing, as well as appreciated.

If i lower my cut to very good, color at H, and clarity SI1, with a small culet, how close would i be to that magic number?

You'll have to go to H-SI2.

Make sure the Cut quality is AGS-Ideal or GIA-Excellent/Very Good Cut Quality.

Palladium is an excellent choice and preferred over WG as it does not have to be rhodium plated.

Pricing is the same.

Hello everyone...

First off, a big thank you to the site Admin for this valuable resource...

Now, my question.

I am looking to buy a loose diamond from a local dealer, as well as a seperate setting.

Parameters:

Round Brilliant, Not enhanced

Carat Wt: .90-.95

Color: F-H

Clarity: VS1 - SI1

Cut: Premium - Ideal

med. girdle, no culet

GIA cert.

white gold or platinum setting (either solitaire or a .2ct +/- on each side)

Im looking to spend at most $4200 for setting/diamond and labor

Is this reasonable, and about how much should the diamond be?

I know the parameters are quite vague, but any help would be much appreciated

Thanks again,

Kevin

Thanks Adylon,

what reasons would you go with platinum or palladium, instead of WG?

Personal preference or are there distinct advantages of one to the other?

Wear and tear on white gold makes it yellow (white gold is rhodium plated). for example, 18k white gold is 18 parts yellow metal (gold) out of 24, or 18/24=75% pure yellow metal. the remaining 25% is white metals... silver, nickel, palladium, ruthenium, etc. that give it the white color. But it's still yellowish, and as it wears and the rhodium plating wears off you'll see the yellow and you'llb e unhappy.

pd and pt are both 95% pure usually, and it's a much more white metal. it's not as bright white as rhodium, but it's still very white, and it can even be rhodium plated if you really want to make it super-white. if you did that, at least as it wore it would just look very slightly more greyish rather then yellow. getting a ring rhodium plated ofter is big pain and can be expensive sometimes, especially if the ring is two-tone and you're just trying to re-rhodium the white parts only.

Wedding bands and engagement rings take a lot of abuse, that's why I always suggest a pure metal. If it was a fashion ring or pendant or something, sure white gold is fine, you may not need to get it re-rhodiumed for 10+ years. But for rings or even bracelets that are worn every day and take alot of abuse, I generally advise against it.

I'm getting married soon myself, I want a 2-tone ring, it will be 22k yellow gold + 950 platinum.... VERY PURE :) That way a quick zip on the polishing wheel and it's like new. I may opt to get palladium instead of platinum instead because I have big hands and want a big ring but I don't want it to weigh 50 grams. Palladium is about the same volumetric weight of 14k white gold, so that can be a plus if getting a bulky style ring and you don't want it to weigh a ton. Just the opposite, if getting a very dainty ring having a heavy platinum ring to feel substantial is sometimes preferred.

If budget is very low or the mounting is only temporary, get yourself 14k white gold instead of 18k, at least it won't yellow as quickly.

Best regards,

Yosef

Edited by Adylon

Thank you again Barry, and congratulations Yosef,

No dealers i've gone to have shown me anything in Palladium, just WG and Plat., but ill keep looking.

It seems like the right combination of durability/looks and affordability.

and H-SI2 with an Ideal/Ex/VG cut it is on the diamond

I'll post up again soon with how lucky, or unlucky I've been!

Wish me Luck!

On the SI-2's take a good look and make sure that there are no feathers breaking the surface plane of the stone at the girdle edge and no "cavities" which could compromise the structural integrity of the diamond.

If the inclusion(s) are off center and can either be covered by a prong or placed adjacent to a prong, you've got yourself a center face-up eye clean stone.

Good Luck!

Ok, took a look around yesterday, and just about every SI1 I was shown had an inclusion on the table. When under light i had no problem seeing what I thought was "dust" on the diamond, but under magnification was the inclusion. Hopefully today i can see one without such visible flaws(to me at least!)

Ok, took a look around yesterday, and just about every SI1 I was shown had an inclusion on the table. When under light i had no problem seeing what I thought was "dust" on the diamond, but under magnification was the inclusion. Hopefully today i can see one without such visible flaws(to me at least!)

Sure under an loop you will see inclusion, you should look for SI1 diamonds that clean to the naked eye.

Wear and tear on white gold makes it yellow (white gold is rhodium plated). for example, 18k white gold is 18 parts yellow metal (gold) out of 24, or 18/24=75% pure yellow metal. the remaining 25% is white metals... silver, nickel, palladium, ruthenium, etc. that give it the white color. But it's still yellowish, and as it wears and the rhodium plating wears off you'll see the yellow and you'llb e unhappy.

There are some very good white gold alloys out there that do not turn yellow like some alloys do..

In the past nickel was the alloy of choice and it maintained it's white look very well over the years.. But allergies led to less effective alloys.. Many modern white golds are every bit as good as the older nickel alloy.. In fact, several are now using nickel again since there have been advances in bonding the nickel to keep it from causing allergic reactions like it did in the past..

We use rhodium less to seal and whiten than we do to color balance a piece of jewelry.. If the head comes from one vendor, the solder from another, and the shank from yet another, you can get slight variations in the white color and the rhodium helps counter that..

I have clients that have never had to have their rings rhodium plated to maintain the white color.. It really comes down to the abuse the ring is put through..

I'm getting married soon myself, I want a 2-tone ring, it will be 22k yellow gold + 950 platinum.... VERY PURE :rolleyes: That way a quick zip on the polishing wheel and it's like new. I may opt to get palladium instead of platinum instead because I have big hands and want a big ring but I don't want it to weigh 50 grams. Palladium is about the same volumetric weight of 14k white gold, so that can be a plus if getting a bulky style ring and you don't want it to weigh a ton. Just the opposite, if getting a very dainty ring having a heavy platinum ring to feel substantial is sometimes preferred.

Congrats Yosef.

Palladium is making a big move now with the price of precious metals skyrocketing. Pd950/Ru is as white as 950 Plat-Ru from what we've seen.

Feydakin, have you had any experience with Stuller's X1 WG? And for anyone, are you selling Pd pieces, and if so can you comment? What's the alloy, is it cast, die-struck, etc?

Thanks John :rolleyes:

Pd950/Ru is cast like any other metal. It's a fussy metal to cast like Pt, you can run into porosity and other issues if you do a poor job or don't run a consistent operation. The casting techniques are very similar to pt. Those who buy anything from me and request 18K white gold I always recommend Pd instead and that's what 40-50% end up getting, the rest want or ask for platinum or 14k w/g.

I've also casted a few big heavy chains in pd instead of 14k and 18k w/g. The color is the same as 950pt, It is slightly more dark then rhodium plated goods. There's a company called Down East trading that stocks a lot of big chains in pt imported from Germany from the Schofer company, anyhow he rhodium plates them all, says he likes the look of it better. I always tell people if they want their ring super white I can rhodium it for them but most people opt not to get it done. Some rings for example that have tons of pave all over the place or intricate hand engraving, etc... these rings can look better rhodium plated since there is very little surface area to polish and the metal does look more noticably darker. But your basic solitaire or channel set band or whatever that's high polished looks nice and white, just like platinum would.

Yosef

Edited by Adylon