Pricescope Acquired/sold?

hermann

You heard correctly Hermann.

The couple who established the site and developed it for the last eight years is moving on. The new admin will be led by a gentleman who has 20 years of strong computer experience and education (BS from Bradley U). He is relatively new to diamonds but has been training for the past month or so. The stated plan is for the new team to adhere to the current policies and spirit of the site.

For the sake of consumers and, in the spirit of the great transparency the internet brings, I hope the transition is a smooth one.

Edited by JohnQuixote

I too wish Leonid well. He and I talked often back in the early days as my site and his were just beginning. He and I obviously diverged in our various ways of running things and are obviously competitors, but I always hold the highest respect for him and wish him well in whatever he's doing next.

I'm curious -- does the site have a new owner (and if so, who?) or are they retaining ownership and just having the new admin run the site while they focus on other things?

• 1 month later...

Gee, I hope PS runs the same. I have been to alot of different forums, and PS is my favorite. I am trying to learn how to navigate on this forum, but I like it so far, PS just seems to get more replies to it's posts from the experts. So far "JohnQuixote" you are the only expert I recognize. Your presence here made me want to read more posts. I like what you have to say.

You heard correctly Hermann.

The couple who established the site and developed it for the last eight years is moving on. The new admin will be led by a gentleman who has 20 years of strong computer experience and education (BS from Bradley U). He is relatively new to diamonds but has been training for the past month or so. The stated plan is for the new team to adhere to the current policies and spirit of the site.

For the sake of consumers and, in the spirit of the great transparency the internet brings, I hope the transition is a smooth one.

What? You don't recognize me?

Each forum has a different management style that attracts different people. It's a bit time consuming to participate in these things and the experts tend to pick and choose which ones suit their style. Sometimes they part ways over the forum policies, sometimes over the experts' and sometimes they've just never met up but any way you look at it it leads to each forum having a different flavor. It's a big world and there's lots of room for good advice.

Neil

Gee, I hope PS runs the same. I have been to alot of different forums, and PS is my favorite. I am trying to learn how to navigate on this forum, but I like it so far, PS just seems to get more replies to it's posts from the experts. So far "JohnQuixote" you are the only expert I recognize. Your presence here made me want to read more posts. I like what you have to say.

Thanks for the shout June. PS is like a busy metropolis - you can always count on lively action (much of which is fun to just watch go by) :) - and replies and opinions from many sectors. The new admin there has been great in my opinion. This forum has a different flavor which I find equally appealing. There is a larger ratio of pros to non-pros, so threads here stay pretty concise/on-topic and answers are easy to find. I also like the respectful posting styles of the participants. Hermann is a great moderator.

Neil is right; it is definitely time consuming for those of us who maintain a presence over the years - even on one forum - but it's cool to see that people notice our efforts. I think we all appreciate your kind words. (psst - Neil's footprints are here and PS too...say hi to him or you'll hurt his feelings :D )

Neil;

You're right, answering questions is time consuming, but a key very positive difference between this Forum and the others is that you have more Pros consistently responding to Consumer questions on this Forum which is to the Consumers benefit.

The Professional advice dispensed here is based on years of hands-on experience and perspective that a Consumer "Advisor" just doesn't have and is therefore invaluable, especially when consumers are faced with making a purchase decision that will cost them thousands of dollars.

Edited by barry

Dad (Barry),

Great points.

A forum for the dispensation of information and knowledge is beneficial, since it empowers both consumers and tradespeople alike.

The key, however, is to make certain of the veracity of the information, since it is only within this context that the information is of any value.

In this regard, the amount of "traffic" on any given forum, is certainly not a barometer of it's value to the consumer who is shopping for an expensive diamond or piece of jewelry.

For example; if a consumer is receiving incorrect information from so called "experts" or enthusiasts who pose as "advisors", who either know very little about that which they are dispensing advice and/or have a certain (thinly veiled) agenda to promote, then the dispensation of this "info." and the actual traffic generated on the website will be quite harmful.

Enthusiasts and self proclaimed "diamond junkies" are a wonderful addition to any diamond forum. However, when the lines are blurred and consumers contemplating spending thousands of dollars on a diamond, must collate important data and crucial information from someone who actually knows very little about what makes any diamond "tick", this is very dangerous.

The beauty of this forum, having watched it grow for quite some time and having recently become an active participant, is not so much the traffic and flow of information, but rather, the value and veracity of the information provided.

Here, you have knowledgeable and true experts in their respective fields (Jewelers, Diamond dealers and Manufacturers, Appraisers, etc.) who help consumers in a straightforward and direct manner..and with respect for fellow colleagues.

Regards,

Edited by DiamondMaven

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone!

Interesting topic! One which I am intimately acquainted.

Pricescope does have a bias- no question.

They are dominated by ASATS, BS's HCA's and other "cut classification" machines.

I for one, do not subscribe to any of the arguments in favor of using such machines.

I was tossed off for ( of all things) saying a nice thing about Barry.

BUT- I would spring to the defense of Pricescope- because they did allow me to have open discussions about this with people- and these did get heated.

And to this day they have allowed my posts to stand.

Besides that, any site where advertisers post is going to have some bias.

I will agree with people who've praised THIS forum- it's a place which has a more neutral atmosphere than any other forum about diamonds I've seen.

When you think about it, it's very difficult to have a forum where there's both activity, as well as knowledgeable advice given. So called "Experts" with no trade experience are common- but oft times such posters may give advice which is way off base.

In fact, Judah has made reference to us because we have an employee called "Diamond Junkie".

She's a very nice lady who was a client that became an employee.

The secret of our forum is that a group of friends developed ( mostly ladies) and they like to get online and talk about all manner of things- with diamonds a common topic. A lot of friends posting and PM'ing = lots of traffic.

DiamondJunkie is one of those ladies- as well as our employee. This is all public as we never try to hide who's working for us.

Nor would I ever condone any of our employees that are simply "diamond lovers" posting as an expert.

When I was a sponsor of DT, the adversarial atmosphere- between the advertisers- made for some interesting counter-play.

I answered thousands of questions personally.

When I parted ways with DT I considered inviting other advertisers onto our new site- but I found that to be counter-productive.

So, where this is a neutral place, DT , PS, and CDI are sponsored by diamond sellers that post. IN my experience, no one knows more about diamonds than the people employed in the trade.

For me to spend precious time here posting, I need to be able to justify the expense- true professionals' time is valuable- yet you need such people to properly answer questions.

I feel that if I do my best to answer to the best of my ability, it might cause people to consider us as a diamond source- that's they reason to justify the time.

I've been in this business over 30 years, my first three in training as a diamond grader at Harry Winston from 1976-1979. Since then I've been continuously employed by diamond cutters- acting as a salesman to stores in the US and Caribbean.

In 1987 I was working for M Fabkrikant and sons- at the time, the largest wholesale diamond company in America.

In 1998 I opened Rock Diamond, in 2000, our website Diamonds by Lauren..

Barry, you might disagree with me, but it's tough to question my basis of knowledge. Do you have any justification for condoning DT management in calling me a Nazi?

The sad situation now is that DT has turned into a forum seemingly dedicated to bashing me- with no possibility of me defending myself.

I do love to answer questions here too and hope to continue and have fun!

I think this raises some relevant issues for many people.

Clearly, anyone can write a bad review of a business- that's their right.

For example, one could say, " The service was terrible, it took 5 weeks to get the ring. My card was charged on Jan 1 and the Fedex receipt say May 5"

Or a consumer could rightfully say " I think so and so's prices are too high"...or "I think so and so's quality is poor"

All these things seem totally reasonable.

But say that a consumer claims something like " So and so company charged my credit card without authorization"- and say this is an untrue statement?

Say a site targets one vendor relentlessly.

To me, that sounds like a line has been crossed between simply expressing an opinion, and libel.

Some interesting issues: Who is responsible?

Clearly the hosting site bears responsibility, and can be sued if they do business in the state which the wronged person lives.

It would also seem that any competitor foolish enough to jump on such a bandwagon would also be findable- and have liability.

I'd so welcome anyone's opinions about this......

Dad (Barry),

Great points.

A forum for the dispensation of information and knowledge is beneficial, since it empowers both consumers and tradespeople alike.

The key, however, is to make certain of the veracity of the information, since it is only within this context that the information is of any value.

In this regard, the amount of "traffic" on any given forum, is certainly not a barometer of it's value to the consumer who is shopping for an expensive diamond or piece of jewelry.

For example; if a consumer is receiving incorrect information from so called "experts" or enthusiasts who pose as "advisors", who either know very little about that which they are dispensing advice and/or have a certain (thinly veiled) agenda to promote, then the dispensation of this "info." and the actual traffic generated on the website will be quite harmful.

Enthusiasts and self proclaimed "diamond junkies" are a wonderful addition to any diamond forum. However, when the lines are blurred and consumers contemplating spending thousands of dollars on a diamond, must collate important data and crucial information from someone who actually knows very little about what makes any diamond "tick", this is very dangerous.

The beauty of this forum, having watched it grow for quite some time and having recently become an active participant, is not so much the traffic and flow of information, but rather, the value and veracity of the information provided.

Here, you have knowledgeable and true experts in their respective fields (Jewelers, Diamond dealers and Manufacturers, Appraisers, etc.) who help consumers in a straightforward and direct manner..and with respect for fellow colleagues.

Regards,

Hi Judah,

I truly appreciate your dad's apology- it makes a HUGE difference- and shows that in spite of competitive differences he is a man of principles.

Now it's your turn.

In the post above you make mention of "self proclaimed diamond junkies".

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt, and assume that you did not know we had an employee- customer service representative- who's NOT a diamond expert. Although she's far more knowledgeable than most consumers she never professes to be an expert. This employee is active on our forum- and has a name she chose herself- an apt one- DiamondJunkie

If you did not know that your reference makes it sound like you are targeting CDI, or DBL this is a perfect time for you to clarity.

Were you referring to CDI, or DBL or Diamond Junkie,, ( Denise) our employee?

There is no need "to apologize".

I was simply employing the commonly used term "Diamond Junkies" without specific reference to your employee.

Indeed, I was unaware that you had such an employee, much less that she actually goes by the specific name "diamond junkie" and on your private or personal forum, of which I was unaware and never actually visited.

Hope this helps.

Thank you Judah,

In an atmosphere which included me being called a Nazi, and your dad hoppping on that bandwagon ( since re-canted)- I'm sure you can understand the need for clarity.

We have always spoken well of your dad, and held your company in high regard.

It's nice to know you have nothing at all negative to say about ColorDiamond.info, or Diamonds by Lauren

All these things seem totally reasonable.

But say that a consumer claims something like " So and so company charged my credit card without authorization"- and say this is an untrue statement?

Say a site targets one vendor relentlessly.

To me, that sounds like a line has been crossed between simply expressing an opinion, and libel.

Some interesting issues: Who is responsible?

Clearly the hosting site bears responsibility, and can be sued if they do business in the state which the wronged person lives.

It would also seem that any competitor foolish enough to jump on such a bandwagon would also be findable- and have liability.

I'd so welcome anyone's opinions about this......

The law, as I understand it (I am not a lawyer) is that the hosting site (such as diamond.info) does NOT have responsibility for defamatory material as long as we/I are not the ones to post it, and as long we do not actively edit/approve the content as it is posted. So, if JoeBlow posts something defamatory against MaryDoe on the diamond.info forum, MaryDoe can certainly take legal action against JoeBlow, but NOT against diamond.info. The Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) is crystal clear about this; we are "merely a computer services provider".

Unfortunately, there are many that do not understand the law, and just start sending out threatening letters with no legal basis (and unfortunately, some attorneys ill-advise their clients just to rack up the hourly fees required to write up such letters). I've gotten quite a few these letters/threats over the years. Luckily, one of my family members works for one of the big law firms, and is a well-known litigation attorney... so I'm able to respond effectively and conclusively (and cost-effectively!), so haven't had any real problems yet.

This is another reason I tend to stay out of the way in most discussions that happen here. On that note, it sounds like there's been reconciliation over previous issues between various members that occurred on another forum. I'm glad that's the case, and suggest we keep the hatched well-buried and continue to treat each other cordially and respectfully.

Cheers,

Hermann

Hermann,

I have had reason to look into this stuff myself and you are correct, DMCA is an authoritative charter in this area.

However, there are certain "gray areas", especially (as you correctly alluded to) when moderators arbitrarily attempt (sometimes not too discreetly) to influence and promote a certain bias and/or agenda, by allowing and encouraging certain post(er)s, while blocking and/or pro-actively discouraging others.

When this line is crossed and the editing/controlling power of the moderator is abused, especially when it goes against stated "forum rules", that is when a moderator/forum becomes complicit and possibly culpable in actionable offenses.

I believe it is also the number one catalyst for any public forum/discussion group being put on the fast track towards becoming a cesspool and a den of iniquity; where there are often more shills, agendas, and biases, than accurate and useful information.

Your own stated (and practiced) approach, is therefore very commendable!!

Best Regards,

Edited by DiamondMaven