Dealers Asking For Photo Id To Show Jewelry

Adylon

Hi everyone I need some input here from the public. I'm opening a small shop (like a boutique) and so the front doors are very close to the expensive goods where I'll be showing people the merchandise. Would you find it insulting if the merchant asked for a photo ID before taking anything out of display cases? Even if he had a sign posted to that affect and pointed to it, and asked every single customer to comply?

Thanks for your input :)

Yosef

Hi Yosef,

Would the shop be in a "secure" area- like a jewelry district?

I think it makes a big difference if you're in a free standing building, or in a more congested area.

Here on 47th Street there's always police around- so people are more easy about taking out the goods.

If it makes any difference: In my travels, I've seen these signs in many stores. I've rarely seen the store personnel actually make someone comply.

This could be because I had not spent enough time behind the counter.

But for sure, security something to be extremely aware and cautious of.

Be carfeul out there Yosef!

Hi David,

It's in downtown Burbank, CA, not a jewelry district or plaza, it's a building built into part of a larger complex but it has it's own storefront. The area is nice and safe in general, but the ability to take 3 steps to open a door and running with a $20,000 diamond scares me. (especially since I'm no sprinter) :) There's security for the main complex as a whole, and the security door just happens to be right next to mine, but they won't be obligated to keep an eye on my store (unless I pay them a little on the side maybe?), they just patrol around the whole complex. I attached a pic so you can see what it looks like. It's the all-glass storefront that's empty now.

Kind Regards,

Yosef

post-112762-1183329023_thumb.jpg

Edited by Adylon

Many stores of that style will have a ‘diamond room’ located towards the back of the store so that the snatch and grab type thieves have a more difficult time of escape. Jewelers Mutual has some excellent training videos for merchants about this sort of thing. They’re free if you’re a JM client (which I recommend by the way) and they might even be free if you’re not.

Check out how other stores in your neighborhood handle this. You can bet they’ve all considered the issue. Security is a terribly important concern and when things go wrong it happens very quickly. Jewelers can and do get killed for their inventory and sensible customers understand this. Asking for ID’s seems like a reasonable precaution.

Neil

Edited by denverappraiser

Thge idea of a private room to show diamonds also sounds like a great idea both from security, as well as the client's comfort!

This is the way to go for expensive pieces if you don't have a mantrap. At the least you could have your showing area at the rear of the shop away from traffic.

Thanks for the responses (even though you guys aren't "public") :) There really isn't enough room for a back room type of thing. There's a lot of ceiling space I could probably build a stairway, loft and office space up there for that sort of thing but I don't think I'll do that, at least not right away.

I think when showing the really big goods I'm going to have someone by the front door or immediately outside, and keep the doors locked, flip a little sign telling outside people "Closed for Private Appointment" or something along those lines.

Luckily the police department is only 3 blocks away and the door for the security office is next door to my store. Maybe I'll ask them to get a big "SECURITY" sign or even buy it for them and super glue it on there when no one's looking ;)

Take care,

Yosef

Yes I will have a buzzer for entry... I'd like to have a buzzer to exit as well, but this may or may not be allowed due to local fire codes, unless maybe I tie the buzzer into the fire alarm to release in case of fire. I'm going to install 8 cameras as well... 3 outside, 5 inside. I know that sounds like overkill but my recorder has 8 inputs and I'm a tech nerd so I'm obviously going to max it out :wacko:

Maybe I'll put a biometric device inside asking for their thumbprint or iris scan before taking anything out of the showcases... just kidding. :)

Iris scan is an idea that just might be the best ID solution for you.

Set it up outside the showroom area and he Customer is recorded before they walk in.

Police officers spend most of their time driving around the city looking for trouble, not hanging out in front of the police station so I wouldn’t expect there to be much better security there than in other places in the city. There will be some police employees that work inside the PD but they are busy filling out forms, talking on the phone etc. and don’t really have much of an opportunity to see what’s going on next door either. Unfortunately, there may be better security from being across the street from the doughnut shop than the police station.

Frankly, I would be pretty nervous to rent such a space for a diamond store but I'm a bit of a chicken when it comes to this sort of thing. I've been a retailer and I've been robbed before. My biggest worry is that row of parking spaces right out front and the lack of opportunity for nosy neighbors to see trouble as it’s happening. Last time I was in Burbank there wasn’t even much in the way of pedestrian traffic to either interfere with a criminal or to at least act as witnesses.

Neil

Edited by denverappraiser