Current Gia Certificate

SHINER

I purchased a 1.06 pear shaped diamond from one of the reputable on-line dealers earlier this year. I seem to remember the cut being described as Very Good while viewing the site. I have just been reviewing my GIA cert and noticed it does not mention the Cut at all. On the reverse side of the report, it states that GIA provides cut quality grades for round brilliant diamonds only. My question is - if this is so, can the Sarin report be used as a dependable cut grading representative?

Sarin equipment measures the angles and dimensions on the stone. Depending on what report format you have, there can be a variety of different things reported ranging from the angle and azimuth of every single facet to a single rounded average for each of the general categories. I don’t know of any that include a cut grade on pears and neither GIA nor AGS does this but quite a few of the dealers have invented their own scales.

Where on this site did you find cut grading information for pears?

Neil

Edited by denverappraiser

Sarin equipment measures the angles and dimensions on the stone. Depending on what report format you have, there can be a variety of different things reported ranging from the angle and azimuth of every single facet to single rounded average for each of the general categories. I don’t know of any that include a cut grade on pears and either GIA nor AGS does this but quite a few of the dealers have invented their own scales.

Where on this site did you find cut grading information for pears?

Neil

Neil,

When you do a search for a loose stone, the site brings up a listing of those which match your criteria.

One of the columns indicates a Cut. Apparently it is as you have stated, the dealer must have created their own system.

Shiner;

There is no such thing as a Cut grade for Pears. The Cut Grade you refer to was arbitrarily "defined" by the Vendor.

Fancy shapes are really complex in that various facet combinations will result in a beautiful face-up stone. You need to "See" the diamond. If you're shopping with an Internet vendor, then work with one who can call in the diamond for you, analyze and evaluate it, and at the very least provide you with photos.

Otherwise you're buying blind.