Colored Diamonds: Natural V. Created?

NavyBride53108

I've been seeing lots on the internet about colored diamonds. In particular, I'm interested in blue diamonds. I've read that some are natural and others are lab-created. My question is, is a lab-created diamond not really a diamond, or is it just that a diamond was treated to have a blue color? What are the downsides of buying a lab-created diamond? Can anyone really distinguish natural v. lab-created just by looking?

First of all you need to be more specific on your definition of "lab-created".

There are synthetic diamonds which are lab-created and ARE diamond but not natural.

And there are lab-created "immitation" diamonds which are not diamond but some other material such as CZ, etc.

For the real deal, synthetic diamond, there are companies making blue diamonds HOWEVER they're still very new to the market and no they do not look like natural blue diamonds, and also getting one over a carat right now is impossible. The company I'm talking about it Chatham, and they make a synthetic blue, however it's very dark and they have only around up to 3/4ct sizes currently. They're working on making a more appealing, natural looking blue, however they do not have one at the moment, I don't know if others do. Same goes for pink, their pink is too pink, like a saphire. Natural blues and pinks are very beautiful and currently I don't think anyone can replicate their appearance in synthetic diamond.

Kind Regards,

Yosef

I've been seeing lots on the internet about colored diamonds. In particular, I'm interested in blue diamonds. I've read that some are natural and others are lab-created. My question is, is a lab-created diamond not really a diamond, or is it just that a diamond was treated to have a blue color? What are the downsides of buying a lab-created diamond? Can anyone really distinguish natural v. lab-created just by looking?

I'm talking about the irradiated blue diamonds. In other words, the irradiated ones look too dark blue? I've seen lots of blue diamonds with a blue green tint, and others that look like a dark royal blue. Is that the difference you're talking about?

First of all you need to be more specific on your definition of "lab-created".

There are synthetic diamonds which are lab-created and ARE diamond but not natural.

And there are lab-created "immitation" diamonds which are not diamond but some other material such as CZ, etc.

For the real deal, synthetic diamond, there are companies making blue diamonds HOWEVER they're still very new to the market and no they do not look like natural blue diamonds, and also getting one over a carat right now is impossible. The company I'm talking about it Chatham, and they make a synthetic blue, however it's very dark and they have only around up to 3/4ct sizes currently. They're working on making a more appealing, natural looking blue, however they do not have one at the moment, I don't know if others do. Same goes for pink, their pink is too pink, like a saphire. Natural blues and pinks are very beautiful and currently I don't think anyone can replicate their appearance in synthetic diamond.

Kind Regards,

Yosef

I've never seen an irradiated blue that looked natural. Like 90-95% of them have a dark blue/green tint to them like you mentioned. Very few come out with a nice dark blue, none ever come in a sky blue that natural blues really look like. Maybe someone else knows better but I've never seen anything replicate the look of natural blue diamond.

Edited by Adylon