Quality Vs Size

Lasto

I'm fairly new to the diamond game and have been doing a lot of research on trying to find that right diamond for an engagement ring. I've been looking at weights for the center diamond at around 1ct with great "specs". After reading through some posts on this forum I've noticed that with my "brilliant round" cut maybe i don't need to focus so much on clarity. Would you recommend sacrificing a little bit of quality for a heavier/larger rock? I'm stationed in Germany (currently Iraq) so I'm likely going to be buying from an on-line dealer, i'm leaning towards the quality Blue-Nile for my retailer. Here's what I've come up with so far...any opinions? I'd really appreciate any advice.

CERT: GIA

SHAPE: Round Brilliant

WEIGHT: 1.01

MEAS: 6.41 x 6.46 x 3.97 mm

TOTAL DEPTH: 61.7%

TABLE WIDTH: 58%

GIRDLE: MEDIUM TO SLIGHTLY THICK

POLISH: Excellent

SYMMETRY: Excellent

CLARITY: IF

COLOR: E

FLUORESCENE: Faint

LAB REPORT DATE: 6/15/07

PRICE: $12,583

Here are the side stones

CERT: GIA/GIA

SHAPE: Round Brilliant/Round Brilliant

WEIGHT: 0.42/0.42

MEAS: 4.78 x 4.81 x 2.96 / 4.79 x 4.81 x 2.96

TOTAL DEPTH: 61.7% / 61.7%

TABLE WIDTH: 58% / 57%

GIRDLE: SLIGHTLY THICK / MEDIUM TO SLIGHTLY THICK

POLISH: VERY GOOD / VERY GOOD

SYMMETRY: Excellent / EXCELLANT

CLARITY: VVS1 / VVS1

COLOR: D / D

FLUORESCENE: NONE

LAB REPORT DATE: 5/18/07 / 5/18/20

Price: $3,066

Here's the would be setting

DM15510000_RD_100_RD_50_275x250.jpg

DM15510000_RD_100_RD_50_275x250.jpg

Thank you for what you are doing.

The usual reason that people buy IF is because of the symbolism associate with the ‘flawless’ word. Failing that, you are paying a healthy premium for a feature that isn’t visible without magnification. ‘D’ color is a similar issue. The difference is tiny but at least it is visible under the right circumstances. Based on your question, I’m gathering that size is an important consideration and that you are compromising in order to remain on budget. Personally, I would tweak a little differently.

I would drop clarity all the way to VS2. I would drop color to F. I would demand GIA-excellent or AGS-ideal cutting (I prefer AGS). You didn’t mention a cut grading on any of the stones and, if they have a GIA grading on those dates, all three should have it.

Locking in the budget of the center stone with the above will put the size at about 1.45cts..

The same strategy on the side stones will get you up to about 0.55cts each.

Who is the manufacturer of the ring? Are there any specific limitations on the size stones that it will accommodate?

Neil

Hi Lasto,

First and foremost, I would like to thank you for your service to our country. We support you 100%!

Now, let's get to diamonds.

I terms of a quality to purchase, E/IF is really way over the top for most folks.

A E/VS2- or even eye clean Si1 or Si2 could cost less than half, and return 100% of the enjoyment and pleasure of the higher priced diamond. I agree with Neil that you could keep the same budget and get a larger diamond- although I'd say that looking for a 1.45 will be a dead end search- sizes right below 1.50 are extremely rare.

Purchasing online does offer amazing opportunities.

Members of the US Armed Forces serving overseas may receive mail just like the US- with an APO address- so there's no sales tax, and shipping is relatively easy and inexpensive.

I would say that if one is purchasing online, it makes a lot of sense to purchase a diamond from a dealer that actually has the diamonds on hand. This way you'll be able to look at actual photos- and the seller can "eyeball" the actual diamond for you.

Some of the largest internet sellers ( such as the one you mentioned) are "drop shippers" They never see the diamond you will be receiving.

It's simply NOT possible to purchase effectively based solely on GIA reports- as opposed to a seller who has the GIA report AND the diamond in hand.

Same thing with the semi mount ring- the photos you've provided are clearly not an actual ring, rather they are sample images- heavily cleaned up.

Edited by diamondsbylauren

Thank you for the responses. I don't always have ready access to the internet here, so thanks for being patient for my reply. And also thanks alot for your guys' support. It reallly does mean a lot to us to hear kind words from people back home. Especially with all the political turmoil lately. So thank you very much.

First thing; the cut for the center diamond is Excellent. For the side diamonds, also both excellant. And the manufacturer is Blue Nile. As for the budget, i would like to keep around 15k.

So forking up the cash for a "flawless" diamond is more for saying that you have a flawless diamond than actaully be able to see a difference (with the naked eye). I don't think too many people will be looking at her ring with a magnification device so I'm ok with dropping the clarity a little. I suppose with the round brilliant cut you won't really be able to "see into" the diamond as much anyways (if this is even the the correct thought process). I'm definately good with going to "f" in color. This girl is sorta glitz and glamour, she wears Tiffany Co. braclets and necklaces and such, don't get me wrong she'll be happy with any ring, but i would like to get her a rock that I would be proud to say i put on her finger, something that stands out when compared to other rings so if i can get the same sparkle from a vs2 as an IF, i'm down. But from what i understand ,as you were mentioning, the "cut" seems to be the key to a quality diamond...with the refraction angles and what not. that combined with a "colorless" diamond should make for a nice ring. But as i said, i'm just starting to get my feet wet and I know there's probably more to look into than what i mentioned.

Hmm so Blue Nile never even see's the diamond, that does make me a little skeptical. Do you have any on-line retaliers that you would recommend yourself? Maybe a site that doesn't have generic doctored photo's that i'm looking at on Blue Nile.

I was thinking the same thing with lowering the grade of the side stones a little to really let that center diamond stand out. I'm going to play with that idea and see what i can come up with.

Thanks again for helping me better my knowledge on this.

Lasto;

Thanks for your Service!

These diamonds come from Virtual Lists (VD) that are supplied to many diamond websites by Manufacturer-Wholesalers. The physical location of these diamonds is with the manufacturer so the only way BN or other similar diamond vendors can supply you with photos is for them to call in the diamond. Not sure if BN provides this service.

There are a few websites that will do this for you but charge your CC to cover shipping/insurance. We don't.

As far as color/clarity combinations are concerned, focus on the Cut Quality of the stone. The better the Cut, the more light will be refracted up through the top of the diamond to your eye and the whiter and cleaner it will look.

If you're game, you can easily go with a H/SI combination and thereby go up in carat size. The diamond will face up 'white' for setting into either white gold or platinum and face up eye-clean.

Of course, there are qualitative differences in the face-up appearances of SI's and that's why it's important to visually examine them. They do exist and represent excellent value.

Food for your thought.

Hi Lasto,

I agree with Barry about considering an SI1- although I would not drop the color to H based on what you wrote.

The difference between Si1 ( visibly EYE clean) and a IF is not possbile to see without a loupe. But the color, can be seen.

F's a good choice too because it's so close to D, visually, yet you save there too.

F/SI1 would probably get you the most bang for your buck

We don't carry many round diamonds.

I can vouch for Barry ( exceldiamond) as a good source for well cut round diamonds.

• 2 months later...

Again, thanks for defending our country! If you are trying to get the WOW! factor, why not get one big center and skip the med. size sides, and just have small .03 or so or Pave, to give the band some bling. One large rock sounds like what you are going for, and the 2 med side stones, may use up some of your budget. If she is a "bling Girl" she would most likely love to have "the rock" like you said. I think you need to find out what her idea of a big stone might be. You'd be surprised by how different guys and girls opinions on size are. I'm no expert, just the averarge gal who herself loves "my rock" from my dear hubby! I have an SI1 H color w/ med blue fl. and I love it! Whiteflash.com seems to be a popular sight for finding stones. It sounds like you really want this to be perfect. It's OK to include your fiance-to-be in one of the most important purchases of her life. Remember, she will be wearing this everyday forever. How would you like her to pick out a car for you with no input from you, that you will be driving forever. It's a tuff situation, the surprise e-ring tradition.

I'm fairly new to the diamond game and have been doing a lot of research on trying to find that right diamond for an engagement ring. I've been looking at weights for the center diamond at around 1ct with great "specs". After reading through some posts on this forum I've noticed that with my "brilliant round" cut maybe i don't need to focus so much on clarity. Would you recommend sacrificing a little bit of quality for a heavier/larger rock? I'm stationed in Germany (currently Iraq) so I'm likely going to be buying from an on-line dealer, i'm leaning towards the quality Blue-Nile for my retailer. Here's what I've come up with so far...any opinions? I'd really appreciate any advice.

CERT: GIA

SHAPE: Round Brilliant

WEIGHT: 1.01

MEAS: 6.41 x 6.46 x 3.97 mm

TOTAL DEPTH: 61.7%

TABLE WIDTH: 58%

GIRDLE: MEDIUM TO SLIGHTLY THICK

POLISH: Excellent

SYMMETRY: Excellent

CLARITY: IF

COLOR: E

FLUORESCENE: Faint