POLISH: VERY GOOD

SYMMETRY: GOOD

CLARITY: VS2

COLOR: E

FLUORESCENE: NONE

LAB REPORT DATE: 6/20/07

SETTING: TACORI 2509

NEG. PRICE: $18,600

What do you guys think? I'm a first time diamond buyer, and am not sure if this is a good deal or not. My concerns are with the EGL rating.

1.) How much would it cost for GIA or AGS?

2.) Should I request they send it to the GIA/EGS?

3.) The symmetry is only rated as GOOD, should that be a concern?

4.) Anything else I should look into?

I would appreciate any comments/tips/suggestions you would have. Thanks in advance.

Edited by jjunke

here's GIA's fee structure. AGS is a little more. GIA will take work from the general public, AGS won't.

http://www.gia.edu/gemtradelab/31548/fees.cfm

I wouldn't expect them to agree to send it to GIA/AGS but it doesn't hurt to ask. Notice the July 20, 2007 report date (It' July 22, '07 today!). They JUST got it back from EGL, which I suspect means that it's EGL-USA, assuming that they are in the US.

You didn't mention the color.

Neil

I would stick with a table% of 52-60 and a depth% of 58-62.99. You can look under the tutorial section of this website to see what other dimensions qualifies an "ideal cut" stone. Cut if probably the most important part of a stone. I would rather get a smaller stone that will sparkle/look better, etc. because if its cut better than a bigger stone. I have been looking for a diamond for several months now and think that EGL certs are usually 1-2 color grades off. Diamonds cut well show spectacular flashes or red, blue etc, when the light reflects out of it.

I looked at a 1.77 EGL cert diamond yesterday that was ideal cut, H color and SI and it looked very yellow. The same specifications on a GIA stone might look good. A higher depth percentage will make the stone look smaller because its deeper,so even though it weighs more (higher carat) it might not look as big as a stone cut to proportion. Also if the stone has a thick girdle (middle piece), it will carry more weight as well. Being as picky as I am, I learned a little bit. I would take your time and make sure you know everything you can about it. Can anybody tell me where the best place for flaws in a diamond should be? I was looking at a VS2 stone and saw that he inclusions were in the middle of the stone if you look at it thru the table. Does this matter?

Thanks,

Brock

Brook,

Thanks for the insight, that helps a lot! Looks like we are looking in a similar range (1.75-2ct.).

I saw in other threads you are looking to purchase online as well, how has that been going for you? I found Union Diamond online that has a rather large selection of diamonds. Have you checked there?

This whole process has been much more involved/difficult than I expected.

I would stick with a table% of 52-60 and a depth% of 58-62.99. You can look under the tutorial section of this website to see what other dimensions qualifies an "ideal cut" stone. Cut if probably the most important part of a stone. I would rather get a smaller stone that will sparkle/look better, etc. because if its cut better than a bigger stone. I have been looking for a diamond for several months now and think that EGL certs are usually 1-2 color grades off. Diamonds cut well show spectacular flashes or red, blue etc, when the light reflects out of it.

I looked at a 1.77 EGL cert diamond yesterday that was ideal cut, H color and SI and it looked very yellow. The same specifications on a GIA stone might look good. A higher depth percentage will make the stone look smaller because its deeper,so even though it weighs more (higher carat) it might not look as big as a stone cut to proportion. Also if the stone has a thick girdle (middle piece), it will carry more weight as well. Being as picky as I am, I learned a little bit. I would take your time and make sure you know everything you can about it. Can anybody tell me where the best place for flaws in a diamond should be? I was looking at a VS2 stone and saw that he inclusions were in the middle of the stone if you look at it thru the table. Does this matter?

Thanks,

Brock

JJunke, sorry for the bad spelling in that last email. I wanted to also tell you that a Round cut diamond will reflect light a lot better than any other cut (compared to cushion cut for i.e.) With the amount of money you are willing to spend, I would try to get something real nice, GIA certified, etc. and maybe a round cut diamond. Its up to you but just figured I'd let you know.

You should go thru this whole tutorial on this website. There is a part that tells you the dimensions of ideal cut stones (%'s and stuff,). for any shaped diamond. I would definitely make cut your first priority though and go from there. Hope this helps.

jjunke, I just read your last email after I sent the last one. Yah I was going to use a local guy, (I still might) but online prices are cheaper and Union Diamond and Blue Nile both seem to have very good reputations (and a good 30 day return policy). I think everywhere tries to rip you off but the prices online are cheaper. I havent tried negotiating yet, but I would be interested to hear from people that have. I have been holding out for a few months because I want to get a great deal. I dont want to get ripped off by making an emotional decision, you know?

Its not as complicated as you think...I would just go thru the tutorial on here, print out the dimensions needed for a well cut (or ideal cut) stone, and than decide what color/clarity you want. I think some jewelers may try to talk you into settling for a lower quality stone just because they want to make a sale. Its tough to find someone who will educate you into making the right purchase. I dont see why a jeweler wouldnt just spend $250 or so to have all of their diamonds GIA or AGS certified (Blue nile doesnt sell stones that arent certified). I think the reason they dont have GIA certs is because they want to try to sell these stone to people that dont do their homework. If GIA grades the cut/color, etc. 2 grades lower, their stone has alot less value so they cant sell it for as much. If you find a good jeweler or great deal, let me know and I will do the same.

Brock

Thanks,

Brock

‘Ideal’ cutting is not a function of table size and depth. It never has been and as people are learning more and more about diamond optics it’s getting farther and farther from this. I agree that cutting is a critical element but I emphatically disagree that this can be determined by looking down a table where you sort by table and depth percentages to decide what stone will be the brightest. It just doesn’t work.

GIA now assigns a cut grade on some stones, as does AGS, which are good places to start and I do recommend the GIA-excellent stones but don’t stop there and in some cases (like with cushion cuts) you can't even start there. Look at the subject stone in a variety of lighting conditions. If the dealer doesn’t have the facilities to test the optics, hire an appraiser who does. They are not all the same and, for people who are trying to get the best stone for their money this is actually among the best places to poke because similarly graded GIA-excellent’s do all cost about the same. Better stone – same money, how’s that for an incentive to pay attention?

Neil

Edited by denverappraiser

Here's the main point:

A diamond being offered with ANY report besides GIA should be looked at as a questionably graded diamond.

Even if it's graded exactly correct- and actually IS an E color and VS2 clarity, it would go for a substantially higher price if GIA called it E/VS2-. So you gotta ask yourself.....why send such a high dollar stone to a non GIA lab?

I can see buying a less expensive diamond sans a GIA report- say K VS- but not an E/VS 2carat.

As far as formulas, I agree with Neil:

You simply can't use any formula to determine how pretty a cushion diamond is going to be. Th notion that a 62.99 depth is ok, but a 63 is bad is flawed reasoning.

Below is a 3.21 L/Vs2

321d.JPG

You might notice a tint- but in terms of cut, the stone was really nice.

Table 63%, depth 65.6%. Both outside the ranges mentioned above.

Edited by diamondsbylauren

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe there is a bit of confusion here.

The poster is asking for opinions on a Cushion Cut and some of the responses are to round brilliants.

The bottom line is that various facet combinations can yield a beautiful stone and therefore Cushions need to be 'seen' and can not be accurately evaluated just based on the Lab Report.

Edited by barry