Negotiating With Online Jewelers

walkerba

I am wondering if anybody out there who has bought a diamond online would tell me if they were able to negotiate the price and if so, how much were you able to negotiate the price down? I've noticed that online prices seem cheaper than what local jewelers have to offer, but since I havent found a stone that I like yet, so I obviously havent tried negotiating. If you have any advice, please let me know. I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks alot,

Brock

Most online jewelers are pretty aggressive about the prices they advertise and they don’t leave themselves a whole lot of room for negotiation but it never hurts to ask. Some B&M jewelers have a habit of pricing things very high and then offering a variety of ‘discounts’ to get it down to where they really expect to make a sale but I’ve not seen many online jewelers who take this strategy. Many will offer a price matching program if you find the same stone offered by another dealer and can show them the advertisement and many will give a discount if you pay with bank wire or some other method that avoids credit card processing fees, which are in the neighborhood of 2%.

Neil

I am wondering if anybody out there who has bought a diamond online would tell me if they were able to negotiate the price and if so, how much were you able to negotiate the price down? I've noticed that online prices seem cheaper than what local jewelers have to offer, but since I havent found a stone that I like yet, so I obviously havent tried negotiating. If you have any advice, please let me know. I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks alot,

Brock

I agree with Neil.

Online shopping has done away with the strategy of trying to convince someone a $10,000 diamond was selling for $15,000 yesterday.

it's a highly competitive market.

if you are searching diamond databases, you will find many sellers offering the same diamond, so you could compare that way......

I got my second diamond for about 10% less then he had it marked but the main reason because i was looking at his diamond and another one that was cheaper from place in Oregon. He came down to the other diamond price so it was a no brainer for me since i never saw the other diamond in would took me 4 hours to drive too.

Hello DBL,

Well i bought my diamond from an online dealer-Exceldiamonds.com (by the way i highly recommend them TOO). The other guy who i was going to see was a diamond wholeseller out of Portland, OR. So online dealers have reduced there price from what is marked but too expect them to reduce it 20%, maybe even 10% and possibly any is not always the case. I'm just taking a guess there margins are alot smaller then regular store so dont expect huge discounts.

If this is a diamond you have to have probably not best to play games with but if you willing to see what price they will offer (and see what others have to offer) and you ask them to reduce it. The worst they can tell you is no thank you yet you still have option at paying orginal price if you still want it. But too expect a discount might be wrong attitude to go in with. This isnt a car you buying where price is over inflated by huge margins to start with.

To answer the question on how much: i got it reduced about 200 dollars not the world but still nice having 200 dollars more in your pocket and i still went over my budget. ;)

By the way i get to pick up my ring FINALLY this friday. I cant wait going to be so much fun finalyl seeing how beautiful it is.

HI Dragon, In the world of Brick and Mortar jewelry stores, larger discounts are far more common- as the original "Tag price" is usually an inflated number- so negotiating with an online seller, versus a walk in store takes two different strategies.
Edited by dragonfire