Chipped Diamond

BettyBurke

We purchased our rings from a reputable dealer as we wanted quality, yet I'm now on my 3rd wedding ring in just a little over a year.

The first ring a diamond fell out of its setting after 5 months, took it back and was issued a new ring. This ring however was taken back after 8 months with concerns that a diamond was looking the same as the other before it fell out. The quality control report came back saying that it had a chip in it which was not a manufacturing fault that it had been done through wear and tear. As I was not working and due to paranoia hardly worn the ring how could this happen. I have small hands size L wedding finger and surely for damage to chip a diamond I would have had to inflict some major damage to my hand to get the chip they are talking about.

Needless to say I now have ring with no diamonds in it now, can anybody help explain as to how this happens please.

Betty,

I’m sorry to hear of your loss.

Diamonds are very hard but they are somewhat brittle. They chip. They’re not all that easy to damage and it does take just the right impact to do it but it only takes one. Most people never do it but bad luck can result in a chipped stone on the first day. The bright side of this is that it’s a covered loss under most jewelry insurance policies and a fair number of homeowners policies. Call up your agent and ask them.

Neil

Neil, I'd like to thank you for taking the time to explain this to me, as the jewellers in question have still not got back to me on this. My ring had taken no impact, spent most of its time in its box. Needless to say the trouble we are going through over this issue, it has put us off buying diamonds all together as not only did I have trouble with my rings, but my husbands ring lost a diamond from its setting like my first wedding ring.

What I find most upsetting is the fact I'm without the ring I was presented with on my wedding day and the company in question fail to see this fact.

Thank you for your reply.

Edited by BettyBurke