In-store Vs. On-line

WIdiamondhunter

How much more can I expect to pay for a diamond at my local jeweler compared to what I find online? I used the search function above to find diamonds with the specs I'm targeting(1.1, D-G color, VS1-SI1). The prices range from $4500-$5500.

This jeweler has already shown me a very nice 1.04 carat, D, SI1 stone, but the price was at $6700 so I'm nervous to see what a 1.1 will be priced at. What seems reasonable for a stone with these specs?

How much more can I expect to pay for a diamond at my local jeweler compared to what I find online? I used the search function above to find diamonds with the specs I'm targeting(1.1, D-G color, VS1-SI1). The prices range from $4500-$5500.

This jeweler has already shown me a very nice 1.04 carat, D, SI1 stone, but the price was at $6700 so I'm nervous to see what a 1.1 will be priced at. What seems reasonable for a stone with these specs?

GIA graded diamonds near 1.04 D SI1 are going for 5-6K online. AGS0s (add a premium for cut) can be a bit higher. Make sure you're comparing apples to apples in terms of cut and in terms of benefits like trade-up programs, etc. If he's offering a premium cut GIA/AGS graded diamond along with a nice array of benefits and local service the markup doesn't sound unreasonable.

Edited by JohnQuixote

Are we talking about a round stone here? Premium Cut? Ideal Cut? Super Ideal Cut? And by who's standards? Who graded it to be "D" and "SI1"? These things can mean very different things to different people, and the difference between a $3000 "D/SI1" and $9000 "D/SI1" is obviously not something you want to overpay for.

Are we talking about a round stone here? Premium Cut? Ideal Cut? Super Ideal Cut? And by who's standards? Who graded it to be "D" and "SI1"? These things can mean very different things to different people, and the difference between a $3000 "D/SI1" and $9000 "D/SI1" is obviously not something you want to overpay for.

My bad. I forgot to put this info in. The stones I'm looking at are GIA princess cuts. Not positive on the cut qualities. I'm going to go look again on Thursday. I'm also going to ask about benefits and services included as John mentioned above.

Sorry WI. I stepped into the 'round assumption' trap I warn others about. ;)

Princess cuts are a different ballgame, price-wise (a bit less expensive in general) and especially with regard to being able to quantify cut. The advice about purchase benefits remains.

Thanks Yosef.