Chain Store Question And Platinum Setting Question

countrygyrl

From what I have read in other posts, it seems as though the reason we are advised against chain stores is because of the cert. they use. Usually sticking to EGI and IGI. When what you want is GIA and AGS certs right? Is this the only reason to advice against them or is there more to it?

My second question is about platinum settings. What is the downside of selecting platinum for right settings and why?

Thanks in advance for the answers, I really appreciate it!

From what I have read in other posts, it seems as though the reason we are advised against chain stores is because of the cert. they use. Usually sticking to EGI and IGI. When what you want is GIA and AGS certs right? Is this the only reason to advice against them or is there more to it?

My second question is about platinum settings. What is the downside of selecting platinum for right settings and why?

Thanks in advance for the answers, I really appreciate it!

Hi CGyrl. There are different markets out there and those markets sell different levels of quality. In some places diamonds are sold without a grading report. In the malls and many commercial chains you'll often find IGI and EGL paper. Upscale sellers worldwide carry GIA reports and those with a focus on cut use AGS. Most top flight sellers stick with GIA/AGS.

High quality diamonds are sent to the GIA and AGS because they fare well in the strictest systems. Average-low quality diamonds are sent to labs with softer standards because they will look 'better' on paper. This doesn't mean a diamond graded by a lab other than the top 2 is 'bad;' a beautiful diamond could be sent to any lab...but cutters and sellers are smart people and there is usually a reason one lab was chosen over another.

Aside from the pedigree of the grading reports, always look at the array of short and long-term benefits a store offers, whether it is a chain, a booth in an alley or the most upscale joint in Bel-Aire. How long is the return period? Is there a lifetime upgrade program? A buy-back program? Free service, resizing, etc? The purchase price implies more than just the piece you're buying. See who is in it with you for the long haul.

I'm not sure I understand the question about platinum. If you're comparing to WG each has pros and cons. The biggest platinum pro is workability at the bench, durability and longevity. It develops a patina over time so and must be repolished every year or so if you want to restore the 'new' appearance. The pros for WG are that it's less expensive and more scratch-resistant, but it's also more brittle - and the 'white' is a rhodium plating which must be replated every year or so (depending on wear and body chemistry).

Edited by JohnQuixote