Cleaning Of Diamond

diamond_lover

hi, does frequent cleaning of diamond will cause any damages to it? ;)

Not unless you use a brillo pad made of diamond mesh... :P

But seriously, diamond is extremely hard: The setting is of more concern when considering damage.

We encourage clients to clean jewelry regularly. Lotions, soaps and skin oils create a film and attract dirt. This changes the refractive index of the diamond and causes it to look dull, even if the dirt is unseen, on the pavilion (bottom) of the diamond. Regular cleaning will keep jewelry looking its best.

A concentration of mild dishwashing detergent & warm water is good for diamond jewelry. Allow it to soak for 10 minutes in the solution, then use a soft brush to scrub away particles; especially underneath. Don't use sharp or hard objects to remove dirt or particles. Don't use polishing compound, a brush with toothpaste on it or materials unintended for jewelry (toothpaste is an abrasive and will damage metal). Many setting have holes inside the band to access the pavilions of set diamonds. Rinse and dry with a clean soft cloth.

Ultrasonic cleaners are cool, particularly for simple settings. Be aware that excessive use of an ultrasonic cleaner on pieces with tiny diamonds may result in their becoming loose. US cleaners are not safe for all gemstones either; seek specialized cleaning info for stones other than diamonds, pearls, etc.

Unlike children, who can be hosed down ;) seriously soiled jewelry should be cleaned professionally.

Not unless you use a brillo pad made of diamond mesh... ;)

But seriously, diamond is extremely hard: The setting is of more concern when considering damage.

We encourage clients to clean jewelry regularly. Lotions, soaps and skin oils create a film and attract dirt. This changes the refractive index of the diamond and causes it to look dull, even if the dirt is unseen, on the pavilion (bottom) of the diamond. Regular cleaning will keep jewelry looking its best.

A concentration of mild dishwashing detergent & warm water is good for diamond jewelry. Allow it to soak for 10 minutes in the solution, then use a soft brush to scrub away particles; especially underneath. Don't use sharp or hard objects to remove dirt or particles. Don't use polishing compound, a brush with toothpaste on it or materials unintended for jewelry (toothpaste is an abrasive and will damage metal). Many setting have holes inside the band to access the pavilions of set diamonds. Rinse and dry with a clean soft cloth.

Ultrasonic cleaners are cool, particularly for simple settings. Be aware that excessive use of an ultrasonic cleaner on pieces with tiny diamonds may result in their becoming loose. US cleaners are not safe for all gemstones either; seek specialized cleaning info for stones other than diamonds, pearls, etc.

Unlike children, who can be hosed down ;) seriously soiled jewelry should be cleaned professionally.

i agree that diamonds will look great after cleaning. but what type of cloth is ideal to dry diamonds? a micro fibre cloth? but no matter what, there'll always have small dust particles left on the diamonds surfaces. :P

isopropyl (rubbing) alchohol [ 1.29 for a 16 oz. bottle at your neighborhood drug store], bristle brush, and generic kleenex tissue.

Soak for a few minutes, brush vigorously all over, soak again for 2-3 minutes, and then pat dry.

Repeat every 48 hours if you wear your ring everyday.

Inexpensive, safe, and works great! ;)

Edited by barry

isopropyl (rubbing) alchohol [ 1.29 for a 16 oz. bottle at your neighborhood drug store], bristle brush, and generic kleenex tissue.

Soak for a few minutes, brush vigorously all over, soak again for 2-3 minutes, and then pat dry.

Inexpensive, safe, and works great! :P

alchohol??? ;) i thought dish detergent will do the job?! ;)

i agree that diamonds will look great after cleaning. but what type of cloth is ideal to dry diamonds? a micro fibre cloth? but no matter what, there'll always have small dust particles left on the diamonds surfaces. ;)

You can wipe your cleaned jewelry with a soft chamois cloth. That should keep it lustrous and ready for wear.

Inexpensive, safe, and works great! :P

alchohol??? ;) i thought dish detergent will do the job?! ;)

Alcohol is fine for diamond jewelry, but not good for opals, emeralds and some pearls.

unless it has diamond brisles ;)

Now that I'd like to see! Maybe they could be sold for brushing these teeth? gangstagold

Diamonds can scratch each other - so store your pieces apart. Many fabric-lined jewelry cases are designed for this - if you use ordinary boxes wrap each piece individually in soft tissue paper, or store them individually in soft pouches.

dish detergent leaves film and spots.

I brush water with a tiny drop of detergent onto the diamond when checking clarity under a microscope. That makes it clear and keeps the dust away (this is how they clarity grade at GIA). I’ve never had a problem after rinsing/wiping but I use a pretty pricey detergent and cleaning cloth. The local water is also pretty well filtered - YMMV.

Of course the lady of the house uses an ultrasonic with distilled water in it. No 'common' products may touch her diamond. ;)

I brush water with a tiny drop of detergent onto the diamond when checking clarity under a microscope. That makes it clear and keeps the dust away (this is how they clarity grade at GIA). I’ve never had a problem after rinsing/wiping but I use a pretty pricey detergent and cleaning cloth. The local water is also pretty well filtered - YMMV.

ya, i also find that dish detergent work fine on diamonds! very clean. ;)

Of course the lady of the house uses an ultrasonic with distilled water in it. No 'common' products may touch her diamond. :)

distilled water?? where to get distilled water?? ;)