Buy This One Tonight?

Foxtrot

My price range is right around $4500 for a diamond, I am going to get it mounted on a ring I already have.

How is this one? If it passes the test I will buy it tonight.

Shape: Round

Cut: Premium

Carat: 0.90

Color: G

Clarity: VVS2

Regular Price: $4621

Diamond Proportions:

Measurements: 6.15-6.07-3.85

Depth Percentage: 63 %

Table Percentage: 58 %

Girdle: M-VTK

Culet: Small

Polish: Good

Symmetry: Good

Fluorescence: None (Inert)

Special Notes: Beautiful Cut

With the limited information provided, the slightly deep depth % for a round and the good polish and symmetry combined with the "premium cut" rating and "beautiful cut" notation would really make me question what the vendor rates their cut notations on.

In otherwords, based on the depth, polish and symmetry alone I would not consider this diamond a "premium" cut. You should ask what they base that information on and see if they are willing to provide you any additional information to back up their cut grade claim before proceeding with purchase.

Edited by 10X

With the limited information provided, the slightly deep depth % for a round and the good polish and symmetry combined with the "premium cut" rating and "beautiful cut" notation would really make me question what the vendor rates their cut notations on.

In otherwords, based on the depth, polish and symmetry alone I would not consider this diamond a "premium" cut. You should ask what they base that information on and see if they are willing to provide you any additional information to back up their cut grade claim before proceeding with purchase.

It's a Union Diamond diamond, supposed to come with a GIA cert.

Here's the link:

http://www.uniondiamond.com/diamonds/diamo...tem_id=AA425907

Call up Union and ask them what they mean by 'premium' and 'beautiful cut'. These are not terms used by GIA and if they're going to be quoting GIA for the grading they should be using GIA scales and methodology. I'm with 10x, this is a fishy statement that requires clarification. The polish & symmetry of 'Good' is also something of a red flag. Beautiful cutting is in the eye of the beholder but few would choose these attributes for reasons other than price. You're paying a premium for clarity and then compromising on cutting, which is an unusual strategy. Is there a special reason you're looking for G/VVS2?

The price is fine, but the right price on the wrong diamond is no bargain. If you decide to go with this one, you might point out to them that they have it listed in the database here for less money and they have competition here that lists that same stone for a little less than that. I think they have a price matching policy for the same stone being offered by their competitors if you point out the ad.

Neil

Edited by denverappraiser

I agree with the others. Depth is an issue for me. You can also go lower in clarity without any visible difference if you're so-inclined, and 'good' in polish/sym, while not the kiss of death, is not the kiss of life either.

It's a 2002 grading report and you may be able to get further cut info here with the report number: http://www.gia.edu/reportcheck/

Edited by JohnQuixote

Is there a special reason you're looking for G/VVS2?

Nope.

Mostly because I just learned a ton about the importance about cut in the past day.

After reading even more about everything I have found that cut should be one of the more important of the Cs as it is reflected back on all the others.

For the $4500 I am looking for something below 1c, around that .9c range that this one was in and it seemed like a good idea. I am going to revise the search and find something with a better cut while maintaining the other levels.

Cut is factored into the pricing structure so it may be difficult to find another G VVS2 with significantly better cut for the same amount of money. You might consider dropping the clarity to the VS range as you will see no visual difference to the naked eye. That should allow you maximize the cut quality to get a stunning stone with outstanding brilliance at the same or better value.

You should inquire about additional information other than what is on the grading report as many GIA reports don't provide enough information to accurately determine a cut grade or resulting performance of light return.

All the best!

Edited by 10X