Gemex Report Question...

thewez

Is there a single catagory in a gemex report that experts feel is a good indicator in diamond quality or that is MOST important over the other two?

The reason i'm asking is because the Star diamond I was going to buy (the H S12) had a VH+ score on scintillation and a High on white light, while the one I bought (E SI1) had a VH+ on white light and a High on scintillation. Does the color grade (e compared to h) have a direct corrolation on white light performance? And could that result dirrectly effect scintillation grade (i.e. too much white light lowering overall scint)?

Finally, should I get my diamond independently appriaised when I get it? If so, what's the average cost of that?

No, there is no single category or indicator to propel one metric over the other two.

The differential in color between "E" to "H" is also not a factor.

The optimal situation is for the diamond's light performance to be balanced in such a way so that all three metrics measured; white light, dispersion, and scintillation, are in the High to Very High areas and close to each other.

Keep in mind that the Brilliancescope does have measurement variance which is approximately 1/2 of the blue bar so that such a distance between two stones on the same metric or on the same diamond between any two measurements, are really from the standpoint of the machine equivalent.

Also measurements are not absolute but relative to performance of previous diamonds that have been run on the machine and archived into their database.

Our experience with our in-house Brilliancescope over the past seven years is that the results generated by this machine dovetail very closely and accurately to what consumers actually see and as such we find it a valuable tool to showcase and provide information regarding a diamond's light performance over our Exceldiamonds.com website.

The bottom line and the final arbiter, of course, is to trust your eyes and go with what you perceive to be visually beautiful. For some people the accent is on dispersion, for others, scintillation, etc.

What differences if any did you note between these two diamonds?

Edited by barry

No, there is no single category or indicator to propel one metric over the other two.

The differential in color between "E" to "H" is also not a factor.

The optimal situation is for the diamond's light performance to be balanced in such a way so that all three metrics measured; white light, dispersion, and scintillation, are in the High to Very High areas and close to each other.

Keep in mind that the Brilliancescope does have measurement variance which is approximately 1/2 of the blue bar so that such a distance between two stones on the same metric or on the same diamond between any two measurements, are really from the standpoint of the machine equivalent.

Also measurements are not absolute but relative to performance of previous diamonds that have been run on the machine and archived into their database.

Our experience with our in-house Brilliancescope over the past seven years is that the results generated by this machine dovetail very closely and accurately to what consumers actually see and as such we find it a valuable tool to showcase and provide information regarding a diamond's light performance over our Exceldiamonds.com website.

The bottom line and the final arbiter, of course, is to trust your eyes and go with what you perceive to be visually beautiful. For some people the accent is on dispersion, for others, scintillation, etc.

What differences if any did you note between these two diamonds?

Thanks for the info Barry. To be quite honest, when both were side-by-side in the brilliancescope and when I was turning the scope up and down, one looked more magnificant when in the upper positions, while the other diamond looked better as you got down to the lower positions ...ever notice anything like that, and what can cause that?

In the end I just took the dealers word that he was honestly giving me a similar star diamond but with a higher color grade as a gift from the Star company based on my inquiry to them. The one I boutght for the same price was 400$ more expensive, and I figured that they know better then I as to why it was priced higher.

Yes, have noticed that.

You are referring, of course, to the manual Brilliancescope Viewer, which allows consumers to really 'see' the brilliance, fire, and scintillation of a diamond display as the angle and distance of the light source is varied.

It's a really cool "hands on" (pardon the mixed metaphor) way of seeing light performance in action before your very eyes.

The upper position is white light (brilliance) whereas the lower positions display fire and scintillation (sparklies).

Again, it is important to note that skilled diamond cutters can vary the distribution and intensity of brilliance, dispersion (fire) and scintillation (sparklies) by varying the size, angle, interaction, and alignment of the 58 facets that comprise the round brilliant diamond shape.

One of the really cool innovations very recently introduced by Gemex (www.gemex.com) is the "Live Report" which allows consumers to see online the brilliance, dispersion, and scintillation as well as the interaction of these components "Live". I have attached an example of a Gemex Live Report.

What you observed dovetails with your verbal description and distinction between these two diamonds as you noted in your post above.

Enjoy your new diamond!!

post-5339-1181732702_thumb.jpg

Edited by barry