Gia Reports

limunious

Hey guys,

I have a qwuestion about the date of the gia reports. Should i be concerned when i see a report from a dealer and the report is dated 05 or early 06? Like why are these diamons sitting for so long? Let me know!

Phil

No there should be no worry, that's how it is in the diamond world.

Hey guys,

I have a qwuestion about the date of the gia reports. Should i be concerned when i see a report from a dealer and the report is dated 05 or early 06? Like why are these diamons sitting for so long? Let me know!

Phil

No there should be no worry, that's how it is in the diamond world.

I agree, it's not like they spoil like milk. :D As long as the other info is o.k., the date is the least important thing you need to worry about.

Hey guys,

Phil

As long as the diamond was not owned since it was graded there is no problem. If the dealer has a trade-in or trade-up program you may want to verify this: When a diamond is traded in the dealer should send it back to the lab for an entirely new report (to verify clarity is still the same and update the document). Be sure an older report doesn't accompany a diamond that was owned, returned and never updated. This should not be the case, but it's a reasonable question.

Edited by JohnQuixote

According to the GIA you're good out to 10 years.

At that point you can re-submit the diamond to them for what is called "Verification". They will verify that the diamond is the same and issue you an updated lab report with the current date.

At that point you can re-submit the diamond to them for what is called "Verification". They will verify that the diamond is the same and issue you an updated lab report with the current date.

Barry

That’s interesting, where on the GIA’s website does it say that up to 10 years the certificate is still valid and after that not.

i guess you've to pay GIA to re-submit the diamond. :(

sure you need to pay, that's the only reason that they have you resubmit for new certs.

Barry

That’s interesting, where on the GIA’s website does it say that up to 10 years the certificate is still valid and after that not.

Personal Communication.

I should clarify that GIA provides two services:

1. Verification

2. Update

Verification is free of charge and verifies that the diamond matches the report.

Update rechecks all specs of the diamond and regrades as necessary with issuance of a brand new report with the current date.

Diamond must be submitted loose and there is a fee which is calculated based on the diamond's carat weight.

The decision to submit for Update service is entirely at the discretion of the diamond's owner irrespective of the date of the original report.