A Couple Questions On Chain Stores

WIdiamondhunter

I spent the day looking at a couple chain stores to see how they compare with the local jewelers I've visited, and came away with a couple questions.

First, diamonds at Zales all seem to have GSL certifications. How do those compare to GIA, AGS, or even EGL?

Second, what are the opinions here on the Leo diamond available at Kay Jewelers? I thought it looked pretty nice, but seemed a bit pricey based on its specs.

I spent the day looking at a couple chain stores to see how they compare with the local jewelers I've visited, and came away with a couple questions.

First, diamonds at Zales all seem to have GSL certifications. How do those compare to GIA, AGS, or even EGL?

Second, what are the opinions here on the Leo diamond available at Kay Jewelers? I thought it looked pretty nice, but seemed a bit pricey based on its specs.

Never heard of them, I recommend you sticking with GIA or AGS.

The Leo is one of the proprietary cuts with extra facets (it has 66). In bright lights these cuts have an extremely active & splintery look. Be sure to examine and compare them with well-cut standard rounds in normal conditions, away from jewelry store spotlights. I don't know the range of angles allowed in the brand, but I've seen some that are better than others. To my eye cuts like this look better in bigger sizes, where more surface area means those scintillation events can be larger - but taste varies. In the round shape some people like this small rapid look, others like the large broad flashes seen in antique/cushion style cuts, and a great many like the balance found in the modern round brilliant (thus its popularity).

Edited by JohnQuixote