Bought A Star 129 Today...good Deal?

thewez

Today I ended up buying a .49 ct. star E/SI1 for 2,169. Also, the band I bought for my fiance is 14k white gold and has two smaller diamonds on the sides (both about .15 ct. & H/VS2) with many other small cts. going around the sides of the ring. The ring is made for a .50 ct. center diamond, and I ended up paying 1,100 for the ring. The whole package after tax was 3,500. I'll show pictures after the diamond is set and sized down.

Does this price seem reasonable for this diamond?? I was thinking about buying an AGS ideal cut G-H color SI1 for 1,500-1,600 on blue nile, but my girl just loved the brilliance of the Star 129 so much, and with the E color offered, I thought it was worth the final package price offer compared to buying a regular faceted diamond online through blue nile, then going through the process. Thoughts??

Buying what she wants is always a good idea. Congratulations. :D

Can you post a picture for us? If you don't have one, perhaps your appraiser can give you one to post as well as to email your friends.

Neil

Thanks Neil. I will try and post a picture when the ring gets picked up (it needs to be set and sized down).

I would also like to thank all the people and experts on this forum for making it what it is. There are a lot of site's out there with questionable credibility, but this was one of the exceptions to the rule, as I found most of the information on here concrete, educational, and very useful when cross-examining what dealers were telling me.

One last question Neil. I emailed the Star company a few days before my purchase telling them how I was interested in a Star diamond from ____, as I explained my situation, circumstance, and budget. A day later, I was contacted from _____, and the sales manager I was doing buisness with there expressed how the star company had contacted them, and how they didn't want to drop the ball. As I went up to make my purchase, the gentlemen at this store (who was contacted by the star company) offered me an upgrade at no additional cost (if I wanted). I asked him what the catch was, and he said that the star company wanted to do me a favor based on my inquiry, and that there was no catch. The ring he offered was a Star 129 E/SI1 .49 which seemed to be an upgrade (and was 350$ more expensive) from the Star 129 H/SI2 .54 I was going to buy. After looking at it, I made the switch based off the pros and cons. I thought the slight inclusion upgrade and color grade increase from an H to a E, was only more important then it being .05 smaller and having (slightly) less scintillation. Did I make the right choice, and does what he offered seem fishy?

Robert

Robert,

Thanks for the nice thoughts.

There is a considerable price jump at some of the important weight breaks, including 0.50cts so it’s more than a simple 5 points in weight difference but you got a 5 grade stepup in quality as well. It sounds like you did fine.

By the way, feel free to tout the name of the jeweler if you’re happy with them. I’m sure they would appreciate the promotion and there may be others in your city who could benefit by it.

Neil

There are a lot of site's out there with questionable credibility, but this was one of the exceptions to the rule, as I found most of the information on here concrete, educational, and very useful when cross-examining what dealers were telling me.

Robert

Thanks, Robert.

Post pictures when you have them.

Good Luck!

Robert,

Thanks for the nice thoughts.

There is a considerable price jump at some of the important weight breaks, including 0.50cts so it’s more than a simple 5 points in weight difference but you got a 5 grade stepup in quality as well. It sounds like you did fine.

By the way, feel free to tout the name of the jeweler if you’re happy with them. I’m sure they would appreciate the promotion and there may be others in your city who could benefit by it.

Neil

The store was Arthur's jewlers in St. Paul. They have a huge inventory of engagement rings, and I found most of what they were telling me to be spot on compared to other jewlers I visited. In fact, I almost bought off of blue nile from the info they gave me. For example, they told me straight up that when i'm shopping for a diamond to question many certifications unless its AGS, or GIA, (they did list one more as well). They also said that the AGS (in their estimation) is the closest on accuracy within cut grade, and that's because they've become more strict on what constitutes a real ideal cut over the last couple years, but even so, he believes there still is a little bit of wiggle room under the grading, and that other factors can still play a part. Many things they told me I looked up on forum searches on this site to gauge the accuracy, and most checked out.

I do recommend Arthur's jewlers, Unfortunately they only have one store because its a family run business and they want to stay small even though they have the capacity for growth based on the buisness they do and their reputation in MN.