Got Diamond Questions?
Our community of diamond experts are here to provide answers
Sign in to follow this  
KurtB

Toying With I-color

So the more I look I've become more interested in getting an Ideal "hearts and arrows" cut, making it tough on my previously established $5500 budget (which has crept higher about 500-700 or so if need be).

So I started toying with the idea of dropping color down as far as an 'I'. Whiteflash has a nice $5950 hearts and arrows I-color stone (VS2). Blue Nile has one at 5700 (SI1). Both look superb in the magnified photos, moreso than a lot of other H's I've seen (mainly in regards to symmetry, location of inclusions).

Bad idea? Will the tint become especially noticeable in a platinum setting if you go down that far? Maybe I should just stick with H/SIs.

side question - does an ideal-cut stone (AGS peramaters) that displays greater symmetry in magnified photos, idealscopes, etc, over another ideal-cut stone, genereally display more brilliance in person as well?

Edited by KurtB

go look at I's at your local dealer... I bet you cant see the difference especially face up. So i would say go for it.

I bet you money not one person going to ask if that is I color or even say its not colorless.

Happy hunting :unsure:

With regards to your question about the diamond cut...Can a person see the difference in light performance between say a diamond with a triple '0' AGS cut versus a stone with an Excellent cut rating from GIA but with Very Good symmetry and Very Good finish?

To the naked eye, most people probably would not be able to see the difference. In the past, I have shown clients both an AGS '000' alongside a GIA Excellent (but not triple Excellent) without telling them which is which. It's usually comes down to a guess.

More often than not, it will come down to a comfort level for the buyer. For some, having the most ideal cut is very important. For others it could be a certain type of clarity or colour, etc. Look at the stone yourself and if you love it, get it.

Ji Song

Diamond Consultant

Engage Diamond Studio

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Engagement Rings in Toronto

Kurt;

A well cut diamond of "I" color will face up very white and be suitable for setting into either Platinum or White Gold.

If I put out a "G" and an "I", I don't think you would be able to detect the difference in the face up position.

Barry
www.exceldiamonds.com
@Exceldiamonds on Twitter

Excel Diamonds on Facebook

sales@exceldiamonds.com
1-866-829-8600
1-212-921-0635

So the more I look I've become more interested in getting an Ideal "hearts and arrows" cut, making it tough on my previously established $5500 budget (which has crept higher about 500-700 or so if need be).

So I started toying with the idea of dropping color down as far as an 'I'. Whiteflash has a nice $5950 hearts and arrows I-color stone (VS2). Blue Nile has one at 5700 (SI1). Both look superb in the magnified photos, moreso than a lot of other H's I've seen (mainly in regards to symmetry, location of inclusions).

Bad idea? Will the tint become especially noticeable in a platinum setting if you go down that far? Maybe I should just stick with H/SIs.

side question - does an ideal-cut stone (AGS peramaters) that displays greater symmetry in magnified photos, idealscopes, etc, over another ideal-cut stone, genereally display more brilliance in person as well?

It would really depend on the light performance of the diamond. You won't know what the actual light performance is of a diamond with just a reflector picture and a picture of the diamond. That has to be tested. For more info on light performance of diamonds, check out:

www.gemex.com

Each stone is individually tested.

Jan

For those that want to know the truth about diamonds, just ask.

dbof.com