Promise Ring

Promise2Rawk

first of all i'm so thankful this site exists!!! I really learned alot!!

So, I'm not ready for marriage but My girlfriend and I are having a baby together and luckily we already live together so I wanted to get her a promise ring to show her how much I adore and love her and to give her a physical representation of my commitment and love. Um, I do want to marry her someday so I would love to propose to her in a year or two or two and three-quarters ;)

Well, I was told that an engagement ring should have a +.75 diamond and a promise ring should be under that. I would like the promise diamond to be half the size of the engagement diamond.

are there any other rules associated with promise rings? I was told it should be a solitaire and that's cool cause I know she'll dig that.

like everyone else i want that sucker to shine!

with what I read here I came up with the following:

Budget: $700 - $1000

Ring: 18K white gold (solitaire?)

Cut: Super mega ideal premium AIG certified

Carat: .3 - .5

Color: F-D

Clarity: VS2 - VVS1

Shape: ?

I know she'll love a marquise cut diamond but princess cuts are cheaper for some reason. I was orginally looking for a round cut since I understand they have the most "bling." She'll be happy with either of the three.

So, um, if anyone can offer any advice or clear up some of my misconceptions or point me in some direction I'd really really really appreciate it!

You live together. You love her and claim to be committed to her. You are planning on planning on getting married. You’re having a baby together.! What’s the holdup here? You’re past the promise stage, do it.

Neil

hmmm... good point! Yeah, you're right. OH MY GOD!! I'm gonna ask her to marry me. EEEEEP! I guess I'll go read the proposal sections now.

Two Months Salary for the engagement ring right?

You live together. You love her and claim to be committed to her. You are planning on planning on getting married. You’re having a baby together.! What’s the holdup here? You’re past the promise stage, do it.

Neil

hmmm... good point! Yeah, you're right. OH MY GOD!! I'm gonna ask her to marry me. EEEEEP! I guess I'll go read the proposal sections now.

Two Months Salary for the engagement ring right?

I saw Neil's post this morning and chuckled. This reply makes it even better... Neil Beaty, ICGA, Gentleman, Scholar and Marriage Counselor! Better ask him what that service costs. ;)

DF's right. Spend only what you can. If the relationship is right she won't mind if you exchange plain bands or wood carvings, as long as the commitment is there.

Rawk,

I'm glad I could help nudge you in the right direction. Congratulations.

I’ve no clue what a Super mega ideal premium AIG certified cut is but your budget is already entirely sufficient to get a lovely ring that she’ll adore and I wouldn't expect this to come at a great premium. You might do well to surf through some of the dealers here. You can recognize them by the link at the bottom of every post and the little ‘verified jeweler’ sign under their picture. You’re 0.75ct limit strikes me as perhaps a bit self serving on the part of someone who wants to sell you a bigger diamond. Buy what you can afford. If your budgets improve in a few years, which they often do, trade up for something bigger then.

Neil

Edited by denverappraiser

Stay within your budget and go for quality.

Find out what the Jewelers policy is on the ring, i.e; servicing, repairs, cleaning, re-sizing.

Good Luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys! thanks for the info! I haven't proposed yet cause I don't have the ring but I'm saving up. I had $1000 saved up specifically for the promise ring so I'm just gonna eat lettuce for bit so I can save up for a nicer diamond. :D

Does the shape of the diamond affect the brilliance and shine of the diamond? Round is the brightest right?

Hey guys! thanks for the info! I haven't proposed yet cause I don't have the ring but I'm saving up. I had $1000 saved up specifically for the promise ring so I'm just gonna eat lettuce for bit so I can save up for a nicer diamond. :D

Does the shape of the diamond affect the brilliance and shine of the diamond? Round is the brightest right?

Yeh that right, Mkae sure you go with a good cut diamond.