Beautiful 2 Ct Cushion Diamond

wrigley333

First off, thank you for looking. Any comments to improve this classified are greatly appreciated.

I am selling the following:

*2.00 carat Cushion cut center stone. Measuring 9.0mm x 7.4mm x depth is not on the measurements. G - color, SI 1 clarity.

*14 K white-gold Lady's diamond engagement ring set.

*Ring includes - 10 brilliant-cut diamonds weighing a total of .40 cts, G -color, SI 1 clarity.

*Also included; One 14K White-gold Lady's diamond wedding band. 12 brilliant-cut diamonds weighing a total of .55 cts, G-color, SI 1 clarity.

Purchased in December/2003 from JohnBuechner, Inc., a wholesale dealer in Chicago. Asking price is $15,500. This is a beautiful ring and diamond. My ex received compliments on a regular basis. Because of the dimensions, the center stone has a much larger appearance than a 2 carat stone. If you want to make a statement, this is the diamond.

If you decide to purchase. A 10% deposit will be required. Then you can choose a reputable jewelry company to appraise the diamond ring, in my area (Suburb on the north/northwest side of Chicago). If satisfied with the results, full payment before delivery will be required. I will pay the appraisal fee. If not satisfied, full refund of deposit minus appraisal fee.

*More pictures coming soon. I am working on the quality of the pics. Thanks for your patience.

Edited by wrigley333

Wrigley,

I’ll try to be helpful, but you’re not going to like what I have to say. If you want me to delete this post so that I'm not messing up your ad by making it a discussion of advertising instead of a discussion of your diamond, just let me know.

1) Way more information is required about the center stone. In particular, you need to include the source of the weight, measurement, clarity and color data. This stuff makes a huge difference. A 1.80 H/SI2 is going to bring far less than a 2.00 I/SI1 and the difference is far from obvious. The fact that you don’t have the depth tells me that you don’t have a credible grading report and anyone buying under such conditions is going to assume the very worst. It'll be worth your money to get one. PGS (www.progem.com) in Chicago is worth considering if you don’t want to ship it around and wait but really the place is GIA (www.gia.edu) in either California or NYC. You can securely ship things about the country with US Post Office registered mail although they can be a little slow sometimes.

2) Shop your competition. At the top of the page is a link titled ‘find online jeweler’. Look up comparable stones and see what they cost. Be conservative, your potential buyers will be. Even if your description is accurate, your price is too high. If the description is off, it’s WAY too high. That's why a reliable grading report is so important. Remember that as a private party seller, you are going to need to undercut the dealers on price in order to get the sale. Everything being equal, pretty much everyone prefers to buy from a dealer for an assortment of good reasons.

3) Pictures matter. Work with Hermann about how to post a picture or 3 or just email it to him and let him do it. Practice, a tripod or similar stable platform and good lighting help a lot in taking good pictures. Don't forget the instruction book that came with the camera. Some are crap but some have really good information. The camera manufacturers website may have some helpful tips too. You aren't their first customer trying to do this.

4) The terms of sale are interesting but not really very appealing. What’s the point of the deposit before you’ll get it appraised? By all means make them arrange and pay for their own appraisal and have them make payment directly with the appraiser for their services but, within reason, you should be cooperative in accommodating it.

Neil

Edited by denverappraiser

Neil,

Thank you for your candor. This is exactly what I was looking for. I want to remove some of the anxiety that comes with purchasing a diamond and your insight will help move me in the right direction.

What are your thoughts on the following link:

http://www.malnekoff.com/sellconsign.cfm

Is selling on consignment through a dealer, a safe and viable option?

Again, thank you for your insight. It is greatly appreciated.

Colon

Colon,

The logic is basically correct that consignment deals generally pay better than outright sales to the dealers. The reason if fairly straightforward. The dealers are in this for a profit and if they can get you to pay for the carrying cost of their inventory instead of having to do it themselves, they get to spend their money elsewhere and effectively have twice as much stuff for sale for the same investment. This is clearly better for them and they would like to encourage it. It also provides them with the advantage that if it turns out to be a bad seller, they aren’t stuck with it. It’s your problem. Every merchant has some of this.... Things they thought would sell great, they bought too many of them in a moment of weakness and they turned out to be dogs. Now they either have to have a store full of crappy merchandise while they wait for just the right customer to show up and watch other customers walk away empty handed and shaking their heads or they have to take a hit and sell it for less than they wanted (maybe even less than they paid) just to get it out of the showcase and get some of their money back to invest in better things. It's a nasty position to be in.

The downside of consignment for consumers is in two big issues. First, there’s no known date. It may take 2 weeks, it may take 2 years. It may NEVER sell. If you need the money now, this can be a pretty serious concern. Secondly, you have now entered into a contractual relationship with the jeweler. You need to care if they are still in business, if they are paying their bills and their taxes, if they are displaying and presenting your item(s) in a sensible way etc. As with the above, for some people and with some dealers this is no big issue but there are times when this can lead to a great deal of aggravation. You're going into business with these people and it's worth choosing your business partners with some care.

The jeweler is, presumably, bringing to bear some marketing talent that will allow them to charge more or sell faster to the final retail consumer than you would be able to do by selling it yourself. How much and what they are adding will depend on the store. Ask them. In many cases it’s well worth their fee while in others it’s not. I’ve never heard of the shop you linked to but this doesn’t really mean much. Consignment jewelers are rather local affairs and I’m more than a thousand miles away so it’s no great surprise that I’m outside of their marketing area. There is quite a bit of competition at this in most major cities and I can’t see why Chicago would be much different. Ask around and see if anyone has ever worked with them as either a seller or a buyer. Go there and mystery shop the store to see how they present other peoples goods. Watch how they treat shoppers. Would you buy there? Are they actually moving merchandise? Check out their BBB record. Consignment is a strategy that is often worth considering. It pays better than selling directly to the jewelers and it’s a whole lot less trouble than retailing it yourself.

Neil

Edited by denverappraiser